Hello Sardegna

Old Jan 30th 2011, 9:33 am
Just Joined

Michellemabelle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hello Sardegna

I've been an expat for the last 4 years in Kazakhstan, working for an Italian company. I'm looking to relocate permanently from Scotland and fancy Alghero. I have friends from the south of Sardegna but none from the North. I have 101 good reasons for my choice but the 2 things that scare me the most are, driving on the other side of the road, and not making friends. I cant speak Italian....yes, yes I know, I will work on that, still struggling with my Russian, after 4 years in Kaz. There are many bello places in the North but I want to feel part of a community and dont want to feel isolated. I'm planning a reconnaissance visit in May, any advice and contacts welcome.
Old Jan 30th 2011, 4:06 pm
Forum Regular

dondodi is just really nicedondodi is just really nicedondodi is just really nicedondodi is just really nicedondodi is just really nicedondodi is just really nicedondodi is just really nicedondodi is just really nicedondodi is just really nicedondodi is just really nicedondodi is just really nice
Default Re: Hello Sardegna

We have been to the North part of Sardinia many times and I don't think it is one of the worst places for getting used to driving on the "wrong" side of the road. I think Alghero is totally charming, strictly speaking that area is catalan, so you could potentially get by if you have a grasp on Catalan Spanish which I find easier then Spanish... But then I am actually Italian originally

Sardinia is beautiful, but I don't think I could live there all the time. Hopefully some one here who does can prove me wrong. Even as an italian (or perhaps more so because of it) I find the people really hard to crack.
Old Jan 30th 2011, 4:17 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Hello Sardegna - Update

OK after a few hours reading the Italian threads over a glass of wine, Ive came to the conclusion that as the Italians drive so badly anyway, I shouldnt worry about driving on the other side of the road. As for the social scene, I will be introduced to an English speaking Alghero contact from my Italian friends I work with. I know where the salsa clubs are/italian lessons/cooking lessons/horse riding lessons/sailing/golf. I hope I'll meet fellow runners. As I work with Italians I'll make a real effort to learn some basics before I go. I can hold a conversation in Russian now, so I know that it's not impossible to learn Italian. I'll continue to work overseas, so employment isnt an issue. I understand that there isnt a lot of Brits there, but for me thats part of the excitement, I can visit Scotland anytime if I'm home sick, which hasnt happened a lot in the 4 years I've been out of the UK. I think I'm covering all the basis but you guys are the experts and thats why I joined, so tell me, what was the hardest part of adjusting to your new lifestyle in Italy, how did you cope? What would you do differently? Why dont you regret it?
Old Jan 30th 2011, 4:34 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Dandodi for the reply,

I had a look at your posts and best o luck with your return to Tuscany. I've had a lot of my colleagues suggesting this area too, as there are a lot of Brits. However I thought, if the Italians holiday in Sardinia it must be nice and I love Islanders. I've had mixed reports about the friendliness of Sarndians on blogs, however the ones I work with are great. I did the marriage and family thing very young, and my loved ones, including my 20 year old son are still in Scotland, hence the consideration of a short flight from the med. I'm in the enviable position of being under 40, and able to move anywhere in the world and dont really know where to start. Even if it doesnt work out in Sardinia, at least I'll have a list of likes and dislikes and can move on from there.

Happy Travels
Old Jan 30th 2011, 4:57 pm
Forum Regular

dondodi is just really nicedondodi is just really nicedondodi is just really nicedondodi is just really nicedondodi is just really nicedondodi is just really nicedondodi is just really nicedondodi is just really nicedondodi is just really nicedondodi is just really nicedondodi is just really nice

I like your attitude, go for it! Like I said Alghero is really quite a lovely town. There you will find several english speakers anyway, much more so then other areas in the inner part of the island. To me if you move to Sardinia then be near the sea, the coast is absolutely awesome, not many places in Italy you can get to enjoy tranquility by the sea in the midst of August! Certainly not in Tuscany!!!
Old Jan 31st 2011, 5:06 pm
Just Joined

maggioscozzese is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Michellemabelle
I've been an expat for the last 4 years in Kazakhstan, working for an Italian company. I'm looking to relocate permanently from Scotland and fancy Alghero. I have friends from the south of Sardegna but none from the North. I have 101 good reasons for my choice but the 2 things that scare me the most are, driving on the other side of the road, and not making friends. I cant speak Italian....yes, yes I know, I will work on that, still struggling with my Russian, after 4 years in Kaz. There are many bello places in the North but I want to feel part of a community and dont want to feel isolated. I'm planning a reconnaissance visit in May, any advice and contacts welcome.
I too am in love with sardegna, especially alghero - 8 visits in last 18 months and trying to find the courage to make a permanent move ... i've not used a car all the time i've been there - used public transport or bicycle - very green - also not sure of how much demand there may be for my type of work - but learning italian as fast as I can
Old Feb 1st 2011, 5:36 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by maggioscozzese
I too am in love with sardegna, especially alghero - 8 visits in last 18 months and trying to find the courage to make a permanent move ... i've not used a car all the time i've been there - used public transport or bicycle - very green - also not sure of how much demand there may be for my type of work - but learning italian as fast as I can
Brilliant news Maggioscozzese,

As I said I've been working over seas for 4 years now, and one of the hardest things for a single woman, is getting out to meet folk, in a normal social environment, without looking like your on a pick up. It’ll be brilliant to have a Scottish lass as a friend out there, single or not, makes no difference, and I’m sure once out and about we would easily make friends with some locals too, perhaps you already have? I haven’t been yet, so tell me what you really love about the place? What is your line of work? Where in Scotland are you from? When are you next planning to go out, I’m planning for May, any advice on where to stay etc?

Keep in touch )))
Old Feb 1st 2011, 4:42 pm
Just Joined

maggioscozzese is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Michellemabelle
Brilliant news Maggioscozzese,

As I said I've been working over seas for 4 years now, and one of the hardest things for a single woman, is getting out to meet folk, in a normal social environment, without looking like your on a pick up. It’ll be brilliant to have a Scottish lass as a friend out there, single or not, makes no difference, and I’m sure once out and about we would easily make friends with some locals too, perhaps you already have? I haven’t been yet, so tell me what you really love about the place? What is your line of work? Where in Scotland are you from? When are you next planning to go out, I’m planning for May, any advice on where to stay etc?

Keep in touch )))
ciao
i love everything about sardegna - although only visited the nw corner - I strangely feel so 'at home' - ive stayed in both small/large apartments / small/large hotels - just trying out everything to get the feel of the place but feel SO comfortable with every visit - from the second I step off the plane ! I usually go in May but might go earlier this year - i've had a number of careers - advertising / marketing / IT / sales - would even consider opening a B&B