Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Hello and a question

Hello and a question

Old Jul 1st 2008, 10:36 am
Just Joined

crofty1984 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hello and a question

Hi, My name's dan, I've just moved to Milan. I'm having a great time at the moment, but in september I'll need to buy a car; Work's hired one for me until then.

I was wondering if anyone can help me.

I've already decided on an early MX-5 (If people call you a hairdresser, you're not driving it right!) and I've got 2 options.

In Italy they seem to start at 3-4000 euros, whereas back home they start at about £1000.

3000euro/£2500 is really the very top of my budget, so I've been thinking about buying a better condition/spec UK car, and registering it in Italy. Has anyone done this? How much does it cost? I'd even keep it registered in the UK and pop across for an MOT once a year, but I don't think tht's allowed.

Any advice?

Thanks in advance, Dan
Old Jul 1st 2008, 7:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

chris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nice
Default Re: Hello and a question

Re registering a foreign car in Italy is a bureaucratic nightmare and not cheap, most people give up and never complete the exercise. Unless you have a vehicle that is of particular interest (i.e. a classic) then don't bother. I would certainly advise against putting yourself into this situation if your are not already stuck with it.
You could drive it to UK for MoT and tax but it would still be technically illegal as you will be resident in Italy. Having said that, plenty of people get away with it for years.
If an MX-5 costs double in Italy then buy something else, there are plenty of second hand cars around, it’s a buyers market. If you have cash you should be able to talk them down. Also remember that a desirable car is more likely to get stolen
Old Jul 1st 2008, 8:01 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

I know notting (to borrow a phrase) about tax - mot and registration but i do agree with the stealing bit !!!!
Old Jul 1st 2008, 8:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond repute

Have to agree with Lorna and Chris : in Italy its better to have a car that is really not desirable to others - that way you're safe inthe knowledge that no-one will nick it ! Sorry but its a fact of life in Italy - if anythings worth nicking then it will be nicked !
Old Jul 1st 2008, 8:37 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Truth be told though ------ have heard many stories about whole cars getting nicked but not stories about just smashing the window in to grab the radio out of it !!!

Is that because my little old tape / radio deck is so old fashioned nobody wants it ???

Evene I don't want it but I have a great balnk kind of tape with an external gadget thing that plugs into my ipod ...... so even though I personally have top grade music ...... once i unplug it from the car it looks like I have Notting !!!!!
Old Jul 1st 2008, 9:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond repute

Lorna do you remember in the 80's/ 90's when italian men would walk around with these little bags that they put their 'car stereo' in so that it wouldnt get nicked ?
Old Jul 1st 2008, 9:18 pm

yeah - take off the front piece of the stereo ----------- my car stereo is soooo before that time nobody would ever want to steal it ............. the best bit is - is that it has bloody brilliant sound and loud volume !!!!!

Nobody would ever guess !!!
Old Jul 1st 2008, 9:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Same here - my little old ford fiesta (automatic may I add ) is just a disco on wheels ........I'm sure theres a more trendy way to say this but the middle offspring (17) is out and would probably die to hear his mother talk in this way!! Probably I'm supposed to say ' its a boomshack on weels innit?????'
Old Jul 1st 2008, 9:44 pm

innit !!!!!!
Old Jul 6th 2008, 7:15 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Dan, are you here for the duration? Or are you likely to be moving back to the UK in 6 months or so? If you are only going to be here for a short time it might be worth buying a car in the UK, otherwise what you have been told about getting a UK car legal in Italy can be a nightmare. If you buy a UK car and don't bother you can have it impounded once you have been driving it here for more than 6 months if you haven't done the necessary stuff.
Old Jul 9th 2008, 9:42 am
BE Enthusiast

LivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the rough

We have a UK car here, our situation means that we are allowed to, but in three years no-one official has ever checked. I don't know exactly where you are living, but if you live within a certain distance from Switzerland and you have an Italian car then you qualify for a discount card for petrol.
Old Jul 9th 2008, 7:13 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LivingHere
We have a UK car here, our situation means that we are allowed to, but in three years no-one official has ever checked. I don't know exactly where you are living, but if you live within a certain distance from Switzerland and you have an Italian car then you qualify for a discount card for petrol.
A little light reading for you HERE
Also read taking a car out of the UK on the DVLE site.
Old Jul 9th 2008, 9:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

LivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the rough

Still doesn't cover us. Problem was finding insurance, which we managed
Old Jul 9th 2008, 9:24 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LivingHere
Still doesn't cover us. Problem was finding insurance, which we managed
If you have had the car out of the UK for over 1 year it does.
Old Jul 11th 2008, 2:09 pm
Forum Regular

genzana is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by crofty1984
Hi, My name's dan, I've just moved to Milan. I'm having a great time at the moment, but in september I'll need to buy a car; Work's hired one for me until then.

I was wondering if anyone can help me.

I've already decided on an early MX-5 (If people call you a hairdresser, you're not driving it right!) and I've got 2 options.

In Italy they seem to start at 3-4000 euros, whereas back home they start at about £1000.

3000euro/£2500 is really the very top of my budget, so I've been thinking about buying a better condition/spec UK car, and registering it in Italy. Has anyone done this? How much does it cost? I'd even keep it registered in the UK and pop across for an MOT once a year, but I don't think tht's allowed.

Any advice?

Thanks in advance, Dan
Bringing cars in to Italy is complicated, but so is buying a car here unless you're legally resident - have you got through this bit of bureaucracy already?

Apart from that, wouldn't it be a hassle to always have a left-hand drive car in a right-hand drive country? Probably make you look like a tourist too

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.