healthcare

Old Nov 11th 2009, 11:28 pm
Forum Regular

SaddleTramp is an unknown quantity at this point
Default healthcare

Done a search and nothing has came up, so I'll start at the beginning...

Myself and my nine year old daughter recently "moved" to Italy...In Caspoli, Mignano Monte Lungo, and didn't suss out healthcare before I left (yep stupid of me I know)...

Anyway, can anyone help me out or point me in the direction of where to go to get this sorted...We are UK citizens, I have our NHS cards, haven't got residency yet, long story, but suffice to say the info I got before I came is different from the info when I arrived, and reading here I am not alone or surprised....

Anyway, thanks in advance to anyone who can help out...
Old Nov 12th 2009, 7:48 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: healthcare

As you know your eu card covers you for any emergency. You can get cover from the u.k for a limited amount of time depending on how long you worked. At the moment and it varies slightly from region to region, to get residency you need proof of health cover. Some regions are now allowing you to buy into healthcare in the same way as non-europeans. I'm not on my own p.c at the moment and I'm going to be thrown of this one any moment, but the FCO's ukinitaly sight provides a lot of info on living here. At least it did last time I looked. Byeeeee.
Old Nov 12th 2009, 9:02 am
BE Enthusiast

K in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by 37100
As you know your eu card covers you for any emergency. You can get cover from the u.k for a limited amount of time depending on how long you worked. At the moment and it varies slightly from region to region, to get residency you need proof of health cover. Some regions are now allowing you to buy into healthcare in the same way as non-europeans. I'm not on my own p.c at the moment and I'm going to be thrown of this one any moment, but the FCO's ukinitaly sight provides a lot of info on living here. At least it did last time I looked. Byeeeee.
When I got residency in 2007 I didn't need any proof of health cover, but I did need a job. Once I had my work contract, I could get residency and then sign up for the Italian health system. I'm currently having to renew my health card every year (just been again this morning) but in theory after 5 years they'll give me a permanent card and I'll be in their system indefinitely.
I guess it all depends on whether or not you are working here?
Old Nov 12th 2009, 9:24 am
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

I think the Nigerians provide good healthcare options.
Old Nov 12th 2009, 10:16 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by duffer
I think the Nigerians provide good healthcare options.
That is no help to the new poster is it? We know your sense of humour is quirky but they don't, so don't scare them all away or I will slap you. Hard!
Old Nov 12th 2009, 10:32 am
BE Enthusiast

LivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the rough

Do you have an income here? I am not entitled to ASL coverage because I am not married to my partner. I do have an EHIC from the UK but as I understand it apart from emergency cover I can't do much with it. For two years (I think) you are entitled to coverage with an E106 from the UK tax office. I'm in a rush but you can find out about it on the Internet.
Old Nov 12th 2009, 1:41 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by K in Modena
When I got residency in 2007 I didn't need any proof of health cover, but I did need a job. Once I had my work contract, I could get residency and then sign up for the Italian health system. I'm currently having to renew my health card every year (just been again this morning) but in theory after 5 years they'll give me a permanent card and I'll be in their system indefinitely.
I guess it all depends on whether or not you are working here?
As Saddletramp said she had trouble with residency and hadn't looked into getting health care I assumed she didn't have a job because if you've got a job you get health care.
Old Nov 12th 2009, 3:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

LivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the rough

As Saddletramp said she had trouble with residency and hadn't looked into getting health care I assumed she didn't have a job because if you've got a job you get health care.
Having a job doesn't mean you get healthcare. Its where you pay your taxes that count.
Old Nov 12th 2009, 3:40 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LivingHere
Having a job doesn't mean you get healthcare. Its where you pay your taxes that count.
It does if you are an employee and have a job "in regola" because the taxes are automatically taken from you.
Old Nov 12th 2009, 3:57 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by LivingHere
This is just nit picking and of no help in fact, it just puts people off. It's obvious that Saddletramp is not on secondment.
Old Nov 12th 2009, 4:14 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

Ok. These are the rules that apply to "elective residents" i.e. no job, no partner/husband with a job here. These are the rules laid down by the Italian government, so how different provinces interpret them I can't say, but this is how they SHOULD be interpreted, so if you get something better, good for you, but assume this is what you WILL have to do:

All EU citizens with no claim on Italian citizenship(not residency) who are elective have to:

a) Prove they are not a burden on the state and can afford to live here. The minimum amount per year is around €5k per one person rising to around €15k for a family of 4. This is in the form of bank statements normally.

b) Have to have a private health insurance policy approved by the state. What the level is that is needed isn't stated anywhere - start with a basic policy quote then work up depending on whether this is rejected or not. DO NOT buy a policy until you know yours will be accepted.

Once accepted and the policy is paid for and your statement of means accepted you can then apply for residency in your comune. This will then mean you can sign up at your local ASL and get your tessara sanitaria.

These are the rules if you have no way of getting the form from the UK showing you have paid into the N.I. there for the last two years or any of the other many ways around getting PHI. These were implemented in Feb '07.
Old Nov 12th 2009, 4:17 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by TestaRossa
Ok. These are the rules that apply to "elective residents" i.e. no job, no partner/husband with a job here. These are the rules laid down by the Italian government, so how different provinces interpret them I can't say, but this is how they SHOULD be interpreted, so if you get something better, good for you, but assume this is what you WILL have to do:

All EU citizens with no claim on Italian citizenship(not residency) who are elective have to:

a) Prove they are not a burden on the state and can afford to live here. The minimum amount per year is around €5k per one person rising to around €15k for a family of 4. This is in the form of bank statements normally.

b) Have to have a private health insurance policy approved by the state. What the level is that is needed isn't stated anywhere - start with a basic policy quote then work up depending on whether this is rejected or not. DO NOT buy a policy until you know yours will be accepted.

Once accepted and the policy is paid for and your statement of means accepted you can then apply for residency in your comune. This will then mean you can sign up at your local ASL and get your tessara sanitaria.

These are the rules if you have no way of getting the form from the UK showing you have paid into the N.I. there for the last two years or any of the other many ways around getting PHI. These were implemented in Feb '07.
Old Nov 12th 2009, 5:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really nice

Rules what rules?
Old Nov 13th 2009, 6:43 am
Forum Regular

SaddleTramp is an unknown quantity at this point

I could be wrong, but I'm sure someone thinks I'm a woman (37100...lol)...I'm not...

OK...Already been to the local commune, or mayors office and apart from the usual paperwork, marriage, divorce, birth certs the stern face said I needed, I need as someone said, money...

The amount as said is 5K and the figure I got quoted was also 2K per child, which brings it to 7K...Unless ofcourse I have a job, which I don't as I came here on invite to help with my friends military museum and to start business doing battle field tours...

I now I had ample opportunity to get healthcare sorted before I came here, but along with the million and one things to sort, this didn't happen...On reflection, sitting here as I am, just recovered from the flu which started my thoughts on again on healthcare, and what would a doc do in this case, pat me on the head and recommend paracetomol, loads of fluid, and rest, a diagnoses I can recommend to myself!

Something which I done, and am all fine now, but my wee lassie has came down wi it now...sods law

I think my options now would be (some sort of) temp residency, go back to the UK every, say, 3 months?

In fact, I this is planned anyway as my hobby takes me to UK events in any case....

ps this is a nice place, and I am not put off wi muckin about...

also, your continuing thoughts are welcome...
Old Nov 13th 2009, 7:06 am

Originally Posted by SaddleTramp
I could be wrong, but I'm sure someone thinks I'm a woman (37100...lol)...I'm not...

OK...Already been to the local commune, or mayors office and apart from the usual paperwork, marriage, divorce, birth certs the stern face said I needed, I need as someone said, money...

The amount as said is 5K and the figure I got quoted was also 2K per child, which brings it to 7K...Unless ofcourse I have a job, which I don't as I came here on invite to help with my friends military museum and to start business doing battle field tours...

I now I had ample opportunity to get healthcare sorted before I came here, but along with the million and one things to sort, this didn't happen...On reflection, sitting here as I am, just recovered from the flu which started my thoughts on again on healthcare, and what would a doc do in this case, pat me on the head and recommend paracetomol, loads of fluid, and rest, a diagnoses I can recommend to myself!

Something which I done, and am all fine now, but my wee lassie has came down wi it now...sods law

I think my options now would be (some sort of) temp residency, go back to the UK every, say, 3 months?

In fact, I this is planned anyway as my hobby takes me to UK events in any case....

ps this is a nice place, and I am not put off wi muckin about...

also, your continuing thoughts are welcome...
hello again,

you're right about the doctor ... paracetamol, fluids and ride it out.
Kids medicines are not free here so even if you did have a doctor and they prescribed something for your little girl, you'd have to pay for it anyway.
If she needs kiddie medicine for a very high temperature or whatever you can buy children's Ibuprofen over the counter. It's called Nureflex and is a syrup in strawberry or orange flavour.
Children's paracetamol is called Tachipirina and it tastes absolutely vile.
I usually stock up on Calpol and things like this when in the UK.

As for temp residency - don't think it exists. You are either a resident or you aren't.

If you are backwards and forwards to the UK you might be able to sort out private health insurance. Another member got hers sorted recently before coming here. I'll see if I can find her post and see if she says who she used.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.