Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Health Care & Shipping to Italy

Health Care & Shipping to Italy

Old Jul 21st 2009, 9:05 pm
Gio
BE Enthusiast

Location: London. and visiting Italy when the Parmesan runs out!
Gio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud of
Default Re: Health Care & Shipping to Italy

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Hi and welcome to the forum.

Anyway - all this is irrelevant as unless you have a job with an Italian employer (or you are a pensioner) you will not be elligble for the Italian national health card. You will be expected to have your own private health insurance.

A & E cannot turn you away so in case of accident you will be seen to and treated but not much else.
Well I can only say I am not a pensioner, I am not employed here, but, I applied to the DWP for the transfer of my rights to access health care, as enshrined by EU legislation, and now receive any health care that's going under the Italian Health Care System, just the same as any other Italian. I have an Italian Healthcard.
Ernesto
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 6:22 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

When was this though Ernesto?
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 8:28 am
Forum Regular

misssparkly is an unknown quantity at this point

No the apartments are independent of the school. We are just getting some proposals through to think about before we go around viewing the apartments when we arrive.

I thought 200 euros was a lot, so hoping it at least covers some bills. Will certainly be asking lots of questions. Also found out how expensive agency fees can be... better start saving now!

Thanks for the info on the internet. Getting a phone line and broadband is a major priority for me (1st time leaving home, and I move to another country, poor parents!). So need to get that set up asap, the monthly figures are fairly comparable with here.

Thank you everyone.
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 8:49 am
Gio
BE Enthusiast

Gio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud of

When was this though Ernesto?

Hi Lorna,
Was October 2008.
Ern
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 9:05 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Ern, are you still paying into the British NHS ?
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 9:48 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Misssparkly, you need a 'codice fiscale' before you can do anything here. The school or agency can point you in the right direction for that. As for agency fees, make it clear from the start that you are only prepared to pay 1mnth in fees or you could get a nasty shock.
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 10:01 am
Forum Regular

misssparkly is an unknown quantity at this point

I have the paper work for my codice fiscale already so that in process.

I've been told that the fees are 10% of annual rent... could be up to 1000 euros for a 2 bedroom furnished apartment that we are looking for!
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 10:11 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by misssparkly
I have the paper work for my codice fiscale already so that in process.

I've been told that the fees are 10% of annual rent... could be up to 1000 euros for a 2 bedroom furnished apartment that we are looking for!
Afraid that that's true. I've known people being asked the equivalent of three mnths rent!
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 11:26 pm
Gio
BE Enthusiast

Ern, are you still paying into the British NHS ?
Although it's completely immaterial whether or not I am still paying into the U.K. N.I. system, because even if I was not, I would still get health care rights in Italy cos I already paid for them throughout my life in the U.K., I can tell you, yes I still pay self employed N.I.
Ern
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 6:01 am

Originally Posted by ernesto
Although it's completely immaterial whether or not I am still paying into the U.K. N.I. system, because even if I was not, I would still get health care rights in Italy cos I already paid for them throughout my life in the U.K., I can tell you, yes I still pay self employed N.I.
Ern
Ern, I wasn't trying to be nosey.
I was just curious as there are other people here that haven't been able to get into the Italian health system since the rules changed in 2007. They have had to get private health insurance.
I was just wondering what might be different about your situation that's all.
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 6:10 am

Originally Posted by 37100
Afraid that that's true. I've known people being asked the equivalent of three mnths rent!
I think in my last rented place I needed three months rent up front but it wasn't all for agency fees though.

1 month was actually the rent for the first month.
Another month was the agency fees.
The last month was for the "cauzione" - bond.

Miss Sparkly - when you're checking out furnished flats - check to see if this includes kitchen basics like pots, pans, plates and cutlery. Some do and some don't.

A lot of us here have brought our own quilts/duvets over form the UK as well as they are not as popular here and are very expensive....though I suppose Ikea has made a difference. Don't bother bringing any English size double bed sheets though. A standard Italian double bed is much bigger than a standard UK double bed.

I also have an English electric kettle here as well. They are easier to find here nowadays but expensive compared to to the cheap £5 one I got in Argos.
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 6:47 am
BE Forum Addict

indiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud of

We have kinda health cover here but I will need to renew again. I think having kids at state school helps this as both had to have vaccinations here. Really as EU citizens we SHOULD get health cover here as all EU states are supposed to have recipricol agreements with each other. However Italy seems to think it can do what it likes!!
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 7:05 am

Indie,

children's vaccinations are free for any child here regardless of where they come from, EU or not.

Italy some time ago got "slapped" by the EU and got told to become more EU friendly and make living and travelling in Italy easier for EU citizens. With one hand Italy said "ok - we'll get rid of the permesso di soggiorno for EU citizens" and with the other hand they said "they are not getting everything though and we certainly don't want everybody being a burden on our lovely health system so we'll make that bit a pain for everybody who is not employed here."

That's more or less it - in my own words.
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 7:46 am
Gio
BE Enthusiast

Ern, I wasn't trying to be nosey.
I was just curious as there are other people here that haven't been able to get into the Italian health system since the rules changed in 2007. They have had to get private health insurance.
I was just wondering what might be different about your situation that's all.
No offence was meant or taken. I was just trying to state the facts. Under EU law which both goverments are signed up to full access to the Italian health system is available to all U.K. citizens so long as the relevant documentation is sent from either the DWP or Inland Revinue and taken to your local ASL who will issue you with a health card.. Anyone applying to the U.K goverment for the above documentation will need to ask for either an E106, E120, E121, E109, which one they give you will depend on your particular status re- National Insurance. Once this process of registring this documentation with the ASL is completed you will be disqualified from using the U.K health system on any basis other than as a tourist, as you will be given a EHIC card by the Italian system although in my case, because I continue to pay N.I I still retain that right.
Ern
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 7:55 am

Thanks Ernie.

I've heard about some of those forms and gather that each one is different for different reasons.

I've always had an Italian tessera so have never had to personally look into other stuff but somebody one day will probably need more info.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.