Headlights

Old Jul 31st 2010, 5:22 pm
Forum Regular

caroltee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Headlights

Im taking my car to sardinia, rh drive and leaving it there, i am fitting headlamp adaptor benders to comply, does anyone know if this is acceptable when i register the car or do i have to change the headlamps
Old Jul 31st 2010, 8:49 pm
Just Joined

Midsomer_Peter is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Headlights

Originally Posted by caroltee
Im taking my car to sardinia, rh drive and leaving it there, i am fitting headlamp adaptor benders to comply, does anyone know if this is acceptable when i register the car
It won't surprise you to learn that won't be acceptable.
Just a note of caution - it took nearly 3 months to get my car registered in Italy

Last edited by Midsomer_Peter; Jul 31st 2010 at 8:52 pm.
Old Jul 31st 2010, 8:59 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Midsomer_Peter
It won't surprise you to learn that won't be acceptable.
Just a note of caution - it took nearly 3 months to get my car registered in Italy
Thanks and no im not surprised its what i expected.
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 5:11 am
Banned

bricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nice

if you are moving here in my opinion you are better off buying a car here, I cannot see any value in having a rhd british car here unless its a morgan or xk150 or something, you stick out like a sore thumb its more dangerous and the aggravation of registering a british car in the land of signing everything 15 times and bureaucracy that makes you want to scream in frustration is not on, maybe you save a few pounds but is your time worth nothing
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 8:42 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for reply and i do agree to a certain extent. Having driven from both airports to Bosa several times in a rhd and down to Cagliari i found the driving no problem, as to the car it was too good a deal not to buy, with transporting, registering and buying new headlights im still quids up. In the area where im staying you can drive for 40 kms plus and if you see more than 10 cars then youve been unlucky.
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 5:19 am
Banned

bricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nice

good for you getting a rhd cheap but when it comes time to sell it what happens, turn the lights back again take it to UK, seems a lot of agro to me
Old Aug 4th 2010, 1:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

PAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to behold

We've had beam adaptors on our rhd car for the last 3 years, it passed the "MOT" collaudo. It was so expensive to convert it to Italian plates though, we would never have bothered had we known.
Old Aug 4th 2010, 2:37 pm
Banned

I would not like to go rhd here as the roads are narrow and if a car is approaching they try to keep to the middle and force you off plus there are loads of drivers here who I doubt ever took at test or could even be blind because they are all over the place, I want to take as few chances as possible, winters best no body on the road!
Old Aug 14th 2010, 4:36 pm
Just Joined

Craig and Tracey is an unknown quantity at this point

We registered our car here a couple of years ago with headlight adjusters and have had a mot with no problem. I was surprised as I thought I would have to change the lights.

Given the option now, I would prefer to drive back to the UK once a year for a mot/service etc rather than go through the nightmare of registration I understand a lot of ex-pats do this. (Could manage a trip to the dentist as well to cut the cost of living here )

However, I do believe you are only allowed to keep a foreign car here for 6 months without re-registering? Some friends locally have a UK registered car, but we don't get to see many police here in the mountains, not like down in the cities.