Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

getting married...

getting married...

Old Jul 1st 2009, 11:47 am
Forum Regular

karenitaly is an unknown quantity at this point
Default getting married...

My Italian boyfriend and I are looking into getting married in the comune (until we can afford a proper wedding), I phoned today to find out what documents I would need and they told me I need a letter from my country to say they allow me to marry abroad... I'm abit confused though because England is in the EU why do I need this? I also have NO idea where to get it???? Can somebody help me in knowing exactly what it is, maybe I misunderstood (italian not so great)
Old Jul 1st 2009, 1:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

K in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant future
Default Re: getting married...

Hi Karen,

I'm marrying my Italian boyfriend in the comune here in Formigine in August (and I consider it a proper wedding )

You need to provide your comune with a document known as a "nulla osta" which is basically a statement of no impediment. You get it from your nearest British consulate. You need to go there (I made an appointment over the phone) with your OH's carta d'identità, your passport and birth certificate, and cash! I think it was in the region of 150 euros.

They get you to fill in some forms (including where and when you'll be getting married so this would need to be arranged first) and swear on the bible (!) then they publish your details in the consulate for 23 days I believe. They should then send you the document by post.

If in doubt, I would check where your nearest consulate is (on the British Embassy website) and give them a call, they'll be able to fill you in on everything you need to do.

Good luck and congratulations!
Old Jul 1st 2009, 1:13 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Have you looked up the FCO'S UK in italy page? If not, start there.
Old Jul 1st 2009, 1:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really nice

Hello Karen Italy: My Wife and I arrange weddings in Italy in cesena for English couples, YOU do not need a Letter.

What you do need is you have to get a certificate of non impediment and that is what gets you the "NULLA OSTA"

1) Certificate of non impediment (This is got from your registry office)
2) The Big birth Cert (long one)
3) Copies of passport
4) Deed poll if changed name
5) Decree absalute if devorcied
6) Pervious marage cert if both been married before..

You will then send a COPY of all that to the nearest Embasy (for us it's Florance) and you can ONLY do this THREE MONTHS BEFORE you get married; They will give you a time and date to collect the "NULLA OSTA" and then and ONLY THEN you take the originals for them to check...Cost about £63.

The day you get married you will need a translator (unless you know italian well) If you have a translator he/she will have to translate what the syndico says. If you need a copy PM me and i will send you a copy.

I must state that the above is all to my knowladge and there could be changes...

Have a look at this link If the mods let me keep it here it may help you

http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travelling-...NI-nulla-ostas
Old Jul 1st 2009, 1:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

K in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant future

My experience was a little different to that Mr Posh, maybe it depends on whether or not you're a resident in Italy? (I am). I didn't need anything from any registry offices and I had to go to the consulate in person (with more money than you mentioned- have I been had?
Old Jul 1st 2009, 1:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really nice

I think you have been had: How we do it is: We send a copy of what is needed to the consulate for the client; then they give US an appointment to go and collect the Nulla Osta and we then take the originals. never had to swear on a bible or anything just showed them the originals paid the £63 and thats it...It does say on the link £63 (it may vary) but not a lot

All the best for the Wedding
Old Jul 1st 2009, 2:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

I know the fees were divided into two parts, I think it was half for admin and half for publication, does anything get published at the consulate for your non-resident clients? Maybe that's where the difference lies. The swearing on the bible was to confirm that the info in my affidavit was true. My consulate is in Milan.

Thanks for the auguri, I can't wait to be Mrs M (even though I'm not allowed a name change!)
Old Jul 1st 2009, 2:08 pm
Forum Regular

giuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nice

Originally Posted by K in Modena
My experience was a little different to that Mr Posh, maybe it depends on whether or not you're a resident in Italy? (I am). I didn't need anything from any registry offices and I had to go to the consulate in person (with more money than you mentioned- have I been had?
I did the same as you in 1991, I had to go to Naples as that was the nearest to Sicily and had to swear on a bible that my husband -to- be wasn't a cousin, a cousin of a cousin , an uncle, a father of an uncle etc......
Can't remember how much but it was a lot!!!
Old Jul 1st 2009, 2:18 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Have a look at this link If the mods let me keep it here it may help you

http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travelling-...NI-nulla-ostas

No problems with links to information services.
It's promotional - advertising and own business ones that aren't allowed.
Old Jul 1st 2009, 2:18 pm
Forum Regular

thanks, it makes a lot more sense now, didnt think it was such a long process though. seems like my nearest office is Milan which is not so near so will have to wait a while longer. I'm not actually a resident in Italy so Im sure I'll face more problems along the way.
Old Jul 1st 2009, 2:21 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Karen - if it is the Consulate and not the Embassy our nearest one is Venice.

I think it is actually in Mestre but I'll check their website.
Old Jul 1st 2009, 2:23 pm

British Consulate
Piazzale Donatori di Sangue, 2/5
30171 VENEZIA-MESTRE VE

Tel: (0039) 041 5055990
Fax: (0039) 041 950254
Email

Open to the public:
Monday-Friday 10:00 - 13:00
Old Jul 1st 2009, 2:26 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Karen - if it is the Consulate and not the Embassy our nearest one is Venice.

I think it is actually in Mestre but I'll check their website.
I see that there is a consulate in Venice but they dont issue the Certificate of No Impediment, only in Milan but I'll call tomorrow morning to confirm, dont fancy that road to Milan again
Old Jul 1st 2009, 2:31 pm

This link Karen should be of help to you.

It talks about the "nulla osta". I haven't read all of it though but it looks helpful.

http://ukinitaly.fco.gov.uk/en/help-...ster-marriage/
Old Jul 1st 2009, 2:31 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by K in Modena
Hi Karen,

I'm marrying my Italian boyfriend in the comune here in Formigine in August (and I consider it a proper wedding )

You need to provide your comune with a document known as a "nulla osta" which is basically a statement of no impediment. You get it from your nearest British consulate. You need to go there (I made an appointment over the phone) with your OH's carta d'identità, your passport and birth certificate, and cash! I think it was in the region of 150 euros.

They get you to fill in some forms (including where and when you'll be getting married so this would need to be arranged first) and swear on the bible (!) then they publish your details in the consulate for 23 days I believe. They should then send you the document by post.

If in doubt, I would check where your nearest consulate is (on the British Embassy website) and give them a call, they'll be able to fill you in on everything you need to do.

Good luck and congratulations!
didnt mean it isnt a proper wedding just not with the white dress and cake good luck and hope we have better weather soon for your special day

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.