Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Football must be sooo important for italians !?

Football must be sooo important for italians !?

Old Jun 16th 2014, 9:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

sunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Football must be sooo important for italians !?

Thanks for the reply.

I essentially agree with you.
Old Jun 17th 2014, 1:28 pm
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone see the Iran V Nigeria match last night?
No me neither.
Old Jun 17th 2014, 2:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud of

It's a kind of cliché even amongst Italians that football is the only thing that unites the nation and gives them any sense of patriotism.

But sadly, it's true and they do get excited about being Italia, and at least (usually) it gives them a sense of pride which is hard to gain in many other areas (as the average Italian will tell you).

But did you see how they (the players) all jumped on each other when they scored the first goal on Saturday night? That sums it up really..a kind of collective hysteria.

Mind you, "Italians" have been prone to a bit of collective hysteria in th epast too.
Old Jun 17th 2014, 11:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

primularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=highlander1;11304354] so what does it means being Italian after so few generation of being officially together ? maybe Primula Rossa could help here. QUOTE]

This would need to open a new thread about "what does it mean to be Italian". Very interesting and more complicated now also because in the last 20 years, in addition to the regional differences, we are also having a lot of immigrants who are integrating in the Italian society, raising also new issues on "italianity" for the Italian society (Balotelli and Pirlo in the national team say a lot about these recent changes). Nevertheless, Italy has ALWAYS been a place where several peoples passed and eventually stopped. From the greeks, to the etruscan, the phoenicians, etc in the ancient times, then the several barbarian populations, the arabs, the normans, the spanish, the sefardite jews, the french....

I would say that I am not keen at all in defining what is Italian and what is not and what does it mean, and I do not care much. For me, anyone who is willing to contribute to the life of this country, can be Italian. You also, if you want. And this country is essentially a State with a constitution, laws, institutions and so on. Other definitions are impossibile. Do you know how many LANGUAGES - not dialects - are spoken in Italy? try to count them....

And I make you a question: What does it mean for you to be British?

ciao, primula
Old Jun 18th 2014, 7:13 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud of

Some interesting points being raised here, especially by primula, about what it means to be Italian and what is (what I call) Italian-ness ..

Very hard to define of course, but personally I don't really buy all this theory about Italy not being a 'united' country because of it's fractured past, regional differences, invasions by foreigners over the centuries etc. That's happened in Great Britain, albeit on a less greater (excuse the pun) scale and perhaps not as recently. Even "Great Britain" is a relatively new term. And nobody knows more about regional differnces than the British..England, Scotland, Wales etc...each even has its own football team!
Interesting point about languages...in GB too we have Welsh and Gaelic, their existence being on a par with say German in Alto-Adige or Slavic in Friuli. Their recognition and co-existence doesn't take anything away from the sense of Italy as a nation.
Old Jun 18th 2014, 12:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

...but then news items like this get through ...
Old Jun 18th 2014, 1:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

HADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond repute

lets not go there Mike , I cannot understand how he did it .
Old Jun 18th 2014, 1:09 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HADENOUGHPIZZA
lets not go there Mike , I cannot understand how he did it .
Mark please Hadenough - not my fault..................................... this time
Old Jun 18th 2014, 1:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

jonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to behold

But are we going to say that the Motta Visconti murders prove something about Italy??? Don't these atrocities happen in all countries? Or maybe the Daily Wail wants to make political capital out of the murders to get its own back for the England-Italy defeat?
BTW I'm not a football fan...
Old Jun 18th 2014, 2:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

HADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond repute

The murders have nothing to do with the football beyond being used to establish an alibi . This sort of crime happens everywhere UK included and I doubt if even the Daily Mail would make political capital out of this , just wants the story ....

Sorry Mike ,
Old Jun 18th 2014, 2:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

jonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by HADENOUGHPIZZA
The murders have nothing to do with the football beyond being used to establish an alibi . This sort of crime happens everywhere UK included and I doubt if even the Daily Mail would make political capital out of this , just wants the story ....

Sorry Mike ,
Well exactly, which makes me wonder why we're discussing it in this thread...
Old Jun 18th 2014, 2:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mark' fault ! I'm surprised to see he's a DM reader , but to be fair the thread was already going a bit off topic
Old Jun 18th 2014, 2:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Not a DM reader but it came up under Italy news ... you know the old habit .. look for Italy news in UK newspapers and UK news in Italian newspapers..

but we digress.
Old Jun 18th 2014, 2:36 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkRD
Not a DM reader but it came up under Italy news ... you know the old habit .. look for Italy news in UK newspapers and UK news in Italian newspapers..

but we digress.
So this football game then - why do they throw themselves to the ground and roll around so much?

football = 90 mins of pretending you're hurt!
rugby = 80 mins of pretending you're not
Old Jun 18th 2014, 2:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ok so I'm in Milan all day tomorrow and will have to shift my gym lesson to Friday evening - can I expect the find the place half empty ? If Italy win will prominent politicians tweet insults about their coffee ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.