British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Italy (https://britishexpats.com/forum/italy-77/)
-   -   finance help needed (https://britishexpats.com/forum/italy-77/finance-help-needed-586268/)

johnnyj Jan 22nd 2009 2:04 pm

finance help needed

we are planning to take early retirement & live in italy full time during this year. we plan to live off savings until i can draw my pension. presumably i am going to have to show that i have this money to live off, are there any rules/regulations as to the amount needed to do this?

debra Jan 22nd 2009 2:32 pm

Re: finance help needed

We moved to Sardinia 3 years ago and like you live off our savings. We were never asked to prove that we had sufficient funds.

Enjoy your move to Italy

giuliana Jan 22nd 2009 2:37 pm

Italy is in the EU so you don't have to prove anything to anyone. You have the same rights as an Italian. Maybe just need to inform the police of where you live and obtain a Permesso do soggiorno.

debra Jan 22nd 2009 2:57 pm

When we first arrived we had to get the "permit to stay", which was a really painful experience:eek: involving many days and hours at the police station, only to be told the computer had broken come back next week, must have gone there at least 10 times..... eventually got it 9 months later!!

However I read an article recently saying that it was no longer necessary, but you had to prove you had that you had health insurance??

Mitzyboy Jan 22nd 2009 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by johnnyj (Post 7200459)
we are planning to take early retirement & live in italy full time during this year. we plan to live off savings until i can draw my pension. presumably i am going to have to show that i have this money to live off, are there any rules/regulations as to the amount needed to do this?

As an EU citizen you have a right under EU law to reside and work anywhere in the EU without restriction.

Thats not to say the individual countries dont throw up the odd smoke screen, but I dont think that proof of income is one any more
For sure I think you have to prove health care in some, notably I heard France, but in Spain its not necessary

Jan S Jan 22nd 2009 3:45 pm

One point about proving income.
If you wish to apply for residency then on your form it will state that you must have a minimum amount. I can't remember how much.
They also ask for bank details.
I don't think they ever check.
Our residency came through in 4 weeks . No problems and they were very nice.

Mitzyboy Jan 22nd 2009 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by Jan S (Post 7200833)
One point about proving income.
If you wish to apply for residency then on your form it will state that you must have a minimum amount. .

How long have you been there?
I'm suprised because under EU laws I didnt think they were allowed to place such restrictions.

Jan S Jan 22nd 2009 5:34 pm

We got our residency last August . We've actually been here a year.
They also look into your ability to fund your health care if need be.
This was introduced in August 2006.
I applied to the UK for an E106 ( I didn't work when we applied) this covers you.
I think if you are retired you can also get this.
I had to submit that with my residency application.
There is talk of introducing new legislation where new residency applications will have to take out private health insurance (if they're not retired but just not employed)
My husband is self employed and still pays UK contributions & tax. They didn't ask him for anything.

37100 Jan 22nd 2009 6:12 pm

I read something about this in our local paper so I looked it up. All foreigners applying for residency must have a minimum of one years health cover and sign a declaration stating that they have sufficient funds to maintain themselves and dependents. The town hall passes the application on to the questura and they have 90 days to check you out. This is a local by-law but could apply to others.

Jan S Jan 22nd 2009 6:43 pm

Hi
You should apply to the UK for your health cover.
If you're not working but have previously paid into the system then the E106 is the form. My form covers me from the UK until 2010. I now pay Italian contributions so it no longer applies, but the cover does have a 'shelf life'.
The form number for retired people is different. However when you apply for residency the commune will give you a sheet of paper telling you exactly what you need to provide. The health cover details are on it.
I have to say that the UK were less than helpful with regards to my husbands situation.
Despite the fact that he still pays tax & UK health contributions they would not cover him as he does the majority of his work preparation in Italy he is classed as 'working from a distance' and therefore the UK will not provide health cover.
So much for EU co operation!
We found it a mine field and the UK authorities were more than happy to wash their hands of us.
We found our local commune in San Venanzo very helpful and as I said everything only took 4 weeks once we submitted the paper work.

Lorna at Vicenza Jan 23rd 2009 7:12 am

Originally Posted by giuliana (Post 7200569)
Italy is in the EU so you don't have to prove anything to anyone. You have the same rights as an Italian. Maybe just need to inform the police of where you live and obtain a Permesso do soggiorno.

I'm not sure how many times I have said this on other threads but I'll say it again.

EU CITIZENS DO NOT NEED TO DO ANYTHING ABOUT A PERMESSO DI SOGGIORNO IN ITALY. It has been abolished.

You can come to Italy with just a passport and stay for up to 3 months. Anybody planning on staying more than 3 months needs to go to the town hall (Comune) and ask for residency. A copy of the form can be seen here :
http://www.poliziadistato.it/pds/ps/...e_anagrafe.pdf

If you are not employed in Italy and paying taxes in Italy, you will be asked to provide proof of a means to support yourself here.... usually by providing recent bank statements.
The Italian law says that this cannot be lower than the Italian annual social services check. For 2008 this sum was 5.142.67 Euro. This is from the oficial Italian INPS website.

If you are not a pensioner or a retiree you will be asked to prove health cover as in a private health insurance.

Retirees should look into getting the form E121.

All this information can be had from the British Embasy website - The Department for Work and pensions and the Italian Polizia Di Stato.

Jan S Jan 23rd 2009 7:25 am

To clarify I never mentioned a PDS!!
This is a residency to enable us to work here and( the bonus of receiving lower fuel bills)
The 3 month time limit was never mentioned as the original enquirer is coming to live here permanently.
In addition I don't think it's necessary to shout!!

johnnyj Jan 23rd 2009 7:26 am

thank you all for your replies, lorna - most helpful will check out the links

Lorna at Vicenza Jan 23rd 2009 7:31 am

Originally Posted by Jan S (Post 7203806)
To clarify I never mentioned a PDS!!
This is a residency to enable us to work here and( the bonus of receiving lower fuel bills)
The 3 month time limit was never mentioned as the original enquirer is coming to live here permanently.
In addition I don't think it's necessary to shout!!

I never said you mentioned a PDS. If you look at my reply it is connected to Giuliana's post and not yours.

My intention was not to shout but to highlight this important fact for anybody reading this thread.

Getting paperwork is a pain for all of us so the more correct info people have, the better.

37100 Jan 23rd 2009 12:49 pm

Trouble is, everyone just keeps on calling it a permesso di soggiorno. You don't need a bank statement here to prove your income just an autocertificazione the same as italians.