Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

ENEL Electricity Prices

Wikiposts

ENEL Electricity Prices

Old Nov 17th 2012, 12:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Capo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond repute
Default ENEL Electricity Prices

I thought that it may be helpful to give a breakdown of the ENEL bill and to make a few observations as I've seen quite a bit of confusion on other forums. (Hopefully, I'm not adding to this). Once you get the hang of it, the bill itself is actually quite logical.

Essentially the cost of electricity can be broken down into two parts:

1. SERVIZI DI VENDITA. Roughly, this can be thought of as the wholesale price of electricity as determined by the market. Billing costs vary according to how much electricity is consumed and at what time of the day it is consumed. F1 is the peak rate from 8.00am to 7.00pm Monday to Friday. F2 and F3 are the offpeak rates. There is normally also a small monthly standing charge added.

2. SERVIZI DI RETE. Roughly, this should be thought of as the transmission costs for providing the above electricity and again varies according to how much electricity is consumed. Rates are in bands and progressively increase with an annual consumption number above 4400kw attracting the highest rate. Again, there is a monthly fixed charge.

Adding (1) and (2) gives the base cost of electricity.

Now, there is a third charge. IMPOSTE to be added to the above. Again, this varies with electricity consumption and is in effect a tax levied by central and local government.

Finally IVA at 10% is added to the sum of the above and there it is....your bill.

Now a few observations,

(1) Prices have increased by around 10% in the last six months having been relatively stable since 2009. A similar trend has taken place throughout Europe. For a heavy user, say around 10000kws per year we are now looking at an all in cost of around €0.30 per kw hour.
(2) Moving from a 3kw supply to say 6kws is actually not that expensive. About an extra €3.50 per month.
(3) For a non resident compared to a resident consuming 5000kws per year the additional cost is around €175 per year.
(4) Offpeak ie F2 and F3 rates are generally less than 10% cheaper compared to the F1 rate. (Numbers of up to 30% are often mentioned but in practice are rarely true).
(5) Competing suppliers almost always compete on the SERVIZI DE VENDITA as they still have to use the ENEL lines for supply. So when someone phones you up offering €0.06 per kw make sure that you are comparing like with like. I knew someone who changed supplier on this basis only to find that because of additional charges the bills were 30% higher. It took ten months and lots of hassle to unscramble the contract.
(6) For heating a large single room even at current electricity prices, compared to using a stand alone pellet stufa, an air conditioner inverter unit could well work out cheaper in running costs.

Hope all this helps.

CB.

Last edited by Capo Boi; Nov 17th 2012 at 12:49 am.
Old Nov 23rd 2012, 5:37 am
BE Enthusiast

nicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ENEL Electricity Prices

Thanks Capo for the useful information -even though I don't put the heating on until after Christmas your suggestion of just using the air conditioner in the rooms that need heating seems sensible. Also I thought it was just the French who had invented taxes on taxes: in France you pay VAT on the local taxes of your electricity bill - it seems that this happens here too