Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Ending house rental contracts

Ending house rental contracts

Old Oct 1st 2009, 7:41 am
Forum Regular

lindaf is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Ending house rental contracts

We rented our house here in Padova on a fixed term contract for 18 months.

The 18 months finishes in 6 months time - do I need to give any sort of further notice to the landlord to confirm we don't want the contract to continue?

I read somewhere that in Italy contracts can start again ie we'd be tied to paying for another 18 months if they are not ended properly.
Old Oct 1st 2009, 7:56 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ending house rental contracts

Originally Posted by lindaf
We rented our house here in Padova on a fixed term contract for 18 months.

The 18 months finishes in 6 months time - do I need to give any sort of further notice to the landlord to confirm we don't want the contract to continue?

I read somewhere that in Italy contracts can start again ie we'd be tied to paying for another 18 months if they are not ended properly.
To be on the safe side, I'd send a registered letter with proof of receipt, stating that the contract that closes on such and such a date will not be renewed.

Don't forget to keep a copy for yourself.
Old Oct 1st 2009, 1:06 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

You "should" be okay with 3 months notice. Does it not say? Also most contracts require it in writing and regd mail like Lorna says. If your contract is transitorio it is unlikely the will be expecting you to stay unless you say otherwise anyway, but play it safe!
Old Oct 13th 2009, 1:59 pm
Forum Regular

lindaf is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks both of you. We've had a talk with our LL and are happy now with how it all works. We're not leaving for quite a while but it's strange to think 'home' time is getting closer.