Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

The end of our Italian dream

The end of our Italian dream

Old May 9th 2018, 6:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The end of our Italian dream

Keep a close eye on those olives and grapes. In Umbria they come under attack from fungal infections and parasites. A late frost caused a lot of damage this year.
Old May 9th 2018, 7:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to all

Originally Posted by GingerFlowers
I wouldn't worry about them..they found another source of inspiration for their numerous books..:-)

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel...-a6855541.html

I believe Cathy's back working in the media - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cathy_Rogers
Old May 10th 2018, 5:10 am
Forum Regular

Pailor is a jewel in the roughPailor is a jewel in the roughPailor is a jewel in the roughPailor is a jewel in the rough
Thumbs up Re: The end of our Italian dream

Originally Posted by philat98
Keep a close eye on those olives and grapes. In Umbria they come under attack from fungal infections and parasites. A late frost caused a lot of damage this year.
We have a bit of a fungal problem,on the neglected olives, not too bad and we're treating it, The grapes seem fine at the moment, thankfully, a late frost isn't a big worry here, averaging about 9 degrees in winter

Thanks for the heads up

Donna
Old May 10th 2018, 5:19 am
Forum Regular

Pailor is a jewel in the roughPailor is a jewel in the roughPailor is a jewel in the roughPailor is a jewel in the rough

Back to the original topic. - I'm out there every day manual working, sometimes for 8 hrs in the heat. You are a slave to the weather and the land. I've got blisters, sunburn, bites and muscle strain... By 8 pm I often cant keep my eyes open and I love it. But growing up in a farming community in Wales, I was under no illusions that smallholding was going to be easy...
Old May 10th 2018, 7:51 am
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

I planted 25 concord grapes about 5 years ago. I have been spraying them with bordeaux mixture but they always seem to lose their leaves in June and only make a small crop. This year I am trying milk and bicarbonate of soda to combat mildew. Uva fragole is one of my favourite grapes so I am hoping for more luck this year.
Old May 10th 2018, 9:21 am
Forum Regular

Smile Re: The end of our Italian dream

I planted 25 concord grapes about 5 years ago. I have been spraying them with bordeaux mixture but they always seem to lose their leaves in June and only make a small crop. This year I am trying milk and bicarbonate of soda to combat mildew. Uva fragole is one of my favourite grapes so I am hoping for more luck this year.
Good Luck! I'd be interested to know how you get on

Donna.
Old May 10th 2018, 9:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

The original story was written by a metropolitan TV executive. Shew clearly has problems in dealing with re;lity, having soent her life working with the creation and manipulation of images on the small screen.,
Old May 10th 2018, 9:47 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pailor
Yeah! I found that a bloody annoying actually. Does she think that working 9-5 in an office in UK wearing uncomfortable clothes and masochistic shoes is somehow superior?
My close neighbour has been such a help, they're all so kind here.

I read a bit and then saw her for what she was and couldn't be bothered, sadly though, people will believe in her story and won't come here. The local economies really need the input of fresh blood due to young people moving to the larger towns and cities.

We've moved here, we have an olive grove and a small vineyard, but we weren't naive enough to think we'd make a living from it. Our fruit, olives and almonds ( and of course home made wine ) Are all icing on the Sicily cake.

I think they were just silly and didn't do their homework before jumping in. The attitude toward the locals cant have helped
Sounds like you're making a wonderful life for yourselves there, good to hear! Obviously hard work and realistic expectations is a great combination
Old May 10th 2018, 11:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Pailor
Back to the original topic. - I'm out there every day manual working, sometimes for 8 hrs in the heat. You are a slave to the weather and the land. I've got blisters, sunburn, bites and muscle strain... By 8 pm I often cant keep my eyes open and I love it. But growing up in a farming community in Wales, I was under no illusions that smallholding was going to be easy...
Where do you take your water from Donna? I have a well that produces unlimited quantities in winter but only a few hundred litres a day in summer. Water from the tap is quite expensive. I use black plastic with drip tubes and still manage to consume quite a bit.
Old May 10th 2018, 12:54 pm
Forum Regular

Where do you take your water from Donna? I have a well that produces unlimited quantities in winter but only a few hundred litres a day in summer. Water from the tap is quite expensive. I use black plastic with drip tubes and still manage to consume quite a bit.
We're extremely lucky to share a large well with the neighbour, we're in the hills but in a valley, (hard to explain we're actually quite high up but it's all flat surrounding us, so it feels like we're not up high) the water table here is surprisingly high and we're very grateful. We don't have mains water here, but there's free or cheap drinking water available locally if I can be bothered to fetch it

Oh and we also have several large tanks which we collect rain water in, it all helps Especially this year- it's been nice and rainy...

Donna

Last edited by Pailor; May 10th 2018 at 1:00 pm.
Old May 10th 2018, 12:56 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Sounds like you're making a wonderful life for yourselves there, good to hear! Obviously hard work and realistic expectations is a great combination
Thanks! (do we call you Scouse or Spouse? Or do you have a real name lol

Donna
Old May 10th 2018, 12:58 pm
Forum Regular

Wink Re: The end of our Italian dream

Originally Posted by scot47
The original story was written by a metropolitan TV executive. Shew clearly has problems in dealing with re;lity, having soent her life working with the creation and manipulation of images on the small screen.,
Sounds right, seemed a bit dramatic about the whole thing.... (almost said something uncharitable here haha)

Donna
Old May 10th 2018, 3:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

There was an interesting Lineaverde on RA1 about the water supply situation and its bad management iin Sicily a few weeks ago.
When we bought our plot of land the neighbour was pumping water from our well. It is quite a valuable thing in July and August.
Old May 10th 2018, 3:56 pm
Forum Regular

There was an interesting Lineaverde on RA1 about the water supply situation and its bad management iin Sicily a few weeks ago.
When we bought our plot of land the neighbour was pumping water from our well. It is quite a valuable thing in July and August.
Top of my list to check into before buying!
Apparently, according to the solicitor who did our paperwork, the well water technically belongs to the commune you live in.
Hopefully they don't know it's here!
The neighbour we share with is a friend and the other neighbours are his relatives. So we're okay there. Our properties are very secure and we have maremmas out, so we know if anyone is nearby who shouldn't be!

Water is a very valuable commodity, people back in UK should be more appreciative!

Last edited by Pailor; May 10th 2018 at 4:17 pm.