Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Earthquake watch

Earthquake watch

Old Jun 20th 2014, 8:02 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud of
Default Earthquake watch

..I see the old thread is closed so ... here we go again ..

Magnitudo(Ml) 2.8 - EMILIA-ROMAGNA - MODENA
20/06/2014 00:43:46 (italiana)

..didn't feel a thing fortunately.
Old Jun 20th 2014, 9:54 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Earthquake watch

On the Richter scale, 2.8 is in the range described as "Minor, generally not felt, though measured".

To put it in context, there have been at least half a dozen earthquakes within the past 24 hours that measured a 4.5 or greater.

Earthquakes during the past 7 days.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 20th 2014 at 9:58 pm.
Old Jun 20th 2014, 11:10 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
On the Richter scale, 2.8 is in the range described as "Minor, generally not felt, though measured".

To put it in context, there have been at least half a dozen earthquakes within the past 24 hours that measured a 4.5 or greater.

Earthquakes during the past 7 days.
I can assure you that a 2.8 in a 2nd floor apartment is felt, though glasses don't rattle and doors/windows don't fly open. Doesn't the depth also have an effect on how much/little and earthquake is felt? People here say being near a large lake also effects what you feel. Is that true?

BTW The area of this last shake had a 4.9(?) shake 2yrs ago that did considerable damage and still has regular shakes. Most of which are, thankfully, not felt.
Old Jun 20th 2014, 11:26 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Rats! I blimmin' hate quakes as you know.

From what I have gathered since living in quake zone New Zealand it can be just as much how shallow the quake is , not just the richter.
Old Jun 21st 2014, 12:11 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Lots of things affect how hard it seems and how far away it is felt, including depth, rock type and other geological factors, and distance away from the observer. One in 2011 on the US east coast, in Virginia, was relatively minor (I don't recall its Richter measure), but reportedly made a slab of the earth's crust "ring like a bell", and was felt hundreds of miles away. Reports said that it was felt over an area 20 times the area that a comparable earthquake on the US west coast would be felt over i.e. four and half times the distance. .... And I did feel it, it made my office shake quite noticably despite being several hundred miles from the epicenter.

To my early post, anything less than 3 is "generally not felt" but that doesn't mean they are never felt. I felt such a minor tremor in the UK in the mid 1980's in Gloucester (UK) because I was working in a warehouse at the time and while the vibrations in the slab floor were minor, it made the racking shake.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 21st 2014 at 12:34 am.
Old Aug 21st 2014, 8:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

highlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond repute

This may be of interest.

New-Generation Earthquake Forecasting Swings into Operation in Italy | Science | KQED Public Media for Northern CA
Old Aug 22nd 2014, 12:40 pm
Banned

NEWCOMO is an unknown quantity at this point

At least there are no nuclear power plants in Italy due to quakes...