Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Driving License

Driving License

Old Dec 18th 2006, 8:23 am
Just Joined

Felicity is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Driving License

Have any Brit citizens living in Italy for more than a year had experience of trying to renew car insurance with an Italian insurance company and being told they have to change their UK driving license into an Italian one? If so, what is the (lengthy bureaucratic!!!) procedure... how long will it take to get my license transferred and what do I have to do in order to do so? When I went to my local branch of the ACI (auto club italia) they said I have to get my UK license translated by the UK embassy - who tell me they don't do translations & couldn't advise me... so the usual 'ping pong' match takes place and I'm left not knowing who to contact nor what the procedure is. I'm told I cannot get my car insurance renewed unless I transfer my license (as I've lived here for over a year now)...So, your thoughts/experiences/opinions please!
Many thanks.
Seasons greetings from Roma
Felicity
Old Dec 18th 2006, 10:47 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving License

Not sure about Italy, but here in Spain they tried to make everyone change to Spanish licences saying the European photo licence was not valid.
They have now bowed to EU pressure and accepted that the EU licence is valid all over Europe.
It was only the police complaining though, not the ins companies ?

Seems like Europe has different laws for each country
Old Dec 18th 2006, 10:49 am
Just Joined

Hi there
Many thanks - I appreciate your answer - I also thought my photo licence would suffice - we'll see what the 'powers that are trying to be' say! lol
Hopefully the insurance company will just renew my policy without pushing for the licence to be changed... Maybe if I say I'm going to switch to another insurance co. that hasn't asked for this - they may give in then!
Seasons Greetings
Felicity

Originally Posted by jdr
Not sure about Italy, but here in Spain they tried to make everyone change to Spanish licences saying the European photo licence was not valid.
They have now bowed to EU pressure and accepted that the EU licence is valid all over Europe.
It was only the police complaining though, not the ins companies ?
Old Dec 18th 2006, 11:01 am
Forum Regular

kathrynverona is an unknown quantity at this point

hi,
I changed my license several years ago - i thought the new UK license didn't need to be changed anymore, mine was an old one that expired in 2042 and diddn't have a photo.
I went to the local Motorizzazione to get the necessary documentation, filled it in and then paid ACI to do everything for me - it didn't take too long and they gave me a temporary license so I could get around. The main thing I remeber is coughing up 50,000 lire for a doctor to get me to read 2 letters from a chart for an eye test, yes that's 2 letters!
I didn't have to translate anything.
This is what it says to do on the ACI website:

Please just post a link to the website as posting the text breaches copyright, thanks jdr

good luck

Last edited by jdr; Dec 18th 2006 at 11:14 am.
Old Dec 18th 2006, 11:41 am
Just Joined

Many thanks - that is great info! I also thought my UK licence with photo (its a new one) would be fine ...
I'll check out the website you mention!
Ciao
Felicity

I changed my license several years ago - i thought the new UK license didn't need to be changed anymore, mine was an old one that expired in 2042 and diddn't have a photo.
I went to the local Motorizzazione to get the necessary documentation, filled it in and then paid ACI to do everything for me - it didn't take too long and they gave me a temporary license so I could get around. The main thing I remeber is coughing up 50,000 lire for a doctor to get me to read 2 letters from a chart for an eye test, yes that's 2 letters!
I didn't have to translate anything.
This is what it says to do on the ACI website:

Please just post a link to the website as posting the text breaches copyright, thanks jdr

good luck[/QUOTE]