Reload this Page >

Domicilio and Residenza

Domicilio and Residenza

Old Jan 22nd 2010, 5:02 pm
Just Joined

Ornella is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Domicilio and Residenza

Ciao everyone,

I've just moved to freezing cold Turin and was wondering if any of you could help me out... I'm trying to get my papers in order and not getting very far. I have dual english/italian nationality but it doesn't seem to help. I went to the Anagrafe to see about residence and they told me I needed to go back with the documents of the person I'm living with (bit hard as i'm renting without a contract) and it would take at least 3 months. I got my codice fiscale, but it still leaves me unofficially resident anywhere. Friends have said I should get domicilio instead of residenza... what is the difference? I'm jobhunting at the moment and think I will need a bank account etc... can anyone give me some words of wisdom???

Also, I've been offered some work teaching English- casual, conversation-type stuff. I speak fluent Italian and have a degree but no TEFL or CELTA. Is €20 an hour too much? I was going to ask for 15 but don't want to go below the asking rate.

Grazie!
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 5:33 pm
Forum Regular

Salerno will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Domicilio and Residenza

Ornella first of all welcome to the forum.

As an Italian citizen could you ask your landlord/lady to say that they are allowing you to stay in their appartment in exchange for free English lessons or they are a relation? That way you don't need a contract.

Being Italian you can also transfer your italian residence (you need to be registered somewhere in Italy)

Have a read here and hope this helps!
Old Jan 23rd 2010, 7:08 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

15 Euro an hour is way too cheap and even 20 Euro an hour is a good price for a one on one lesson.
Old Jan 23rd 2010, 7:49 am
BE Enthusiast

clint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really nice

The codice civile makes a distinction between domicilio and residenza, in book 1 art 43.

The domicilio is where your business interest and affairs is while residenza is where you you live.

There is no official certificate for domicilio unlike residenza

The benefit of asking for residency with an Italian passport is that you shouldn't be asked to show proof of income (at least that's what happened with me) however your new comune will have to contact your previous comune in Italy (I was told minimum 4 weeks for the reply to come back from the other comune) if you have not lived in Italy then it will be the comune where you are registered with on the albo degli emigrati esteri, hopefully they will not need to contact your nearest Italian consualte in England (good luck if that happens to be the one Manchester).

In my case applying for residency with an Italian passport took 3 months from start to finish, my husband applied with an English passport took 5 weeks from start to finish but he had to show that he had a minimum of 5000Euros (that's the minimum required for single person) and health cover (the comune accepted the new NHS health card)
Old Jan 23rd 2010, 10:28 am
Just Joined

Ornella is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow, thank you so much! Was in dire need of some simple explanations. I 'officially' belong to a comune in Sicily and have a relative wotking there so I'm starting to think it might be quicker and easier if I take a trip south to get things in order before trying to do anything here!
Old Jan 23rd 2010, 2:01 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ornella
Wow, thank you so much! Was in dire need of some simple explanations. I 'officially' belong to a comune in Sicily and have a relative wotking there so I'm starting to think it might be quicker and easier if I take a trip south to get things in order before trying to do anything here!
You shouldn't have to go to Sicily.
You should be able to go to your new comune in Torino and say that you have moved from such and such a comune in Sicily and need to change your residency.
Old Jan 23rd 2010, 5:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

clint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really nice

Lorna is right, is your new comune that will deal directly with your old comune as far as change or residency is concerned.
Old Jan 23rd 2010, 6:22 pm
Forum Regular

Salerno will become famous soon enough

conferm what clint and lorna said. I am a citizen and when I moved from Milan to Salerno the comune in Salerno dealt with everything