Do you

Old Apr 27th 2010, 7:33 am
BE Forum Addict

indiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud of
Default Re: Do you

Sad isn't it but even soft ole me is getting more hard-hearted. I had some African-looking man ring my buzzer today. The intercom thing doesn't work so I have to go out and he had a bit of paper with a message asking for money. I told him I had no shoes on and wasn't coming down to the gate and that I wasn't interested. He went off up the road and I'm sure all my neighbours told him to get lost but then he was there again repeatedly ringing on my buzzer! I'm suspicious cos once when this happened the man thought I wasn't in and walked into my open kitchen door obviously to burgle me!! So I locked myself in.... it does annoy me that I don't even feel safe in my own home.

Never had anyone here try and fill up my car with petrol... only the people who work in the petrol stations, although I've noticed it's rarer and rarer these days. I really hate the 'former drug addicts/ alcoholics who hang about in carparks wanting me to buy some crappy cards or some other clutter that I don't want and then won't accept a Euro or two but want €20!!!! I just walk away then... It also annoys me as I am happy to speak to people but hate to be asked for money etc. There is a Moroccan guy who tries to sell brollies etc. here and I always say hello and stuff and ask after his kids and stuff but I never buy anything from him even though he's got more hassley recently... tbh I try and avoid him now if I can as I just can't deal with the hassle. I just can't believe that it's that lucrative... like the windscreen washers etc. does anyone really pay them??
Old Apr 27th 2010, 8:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Patty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond repute

agree with you Indie - I used to be a real softie and so gullible, but then you just begin to harden up and to be honest you have to if you want to live here. I dont give money to anyone - gypsies, moroccans, beggars, trolley-people - the list is endless.
However I did give some money recently to a very little bent old lady who was sat in the car park shelter of Lingotto in Turin. She didnt ask for any but she was obviously hungry and cold. Maybe it was the simple fact that she didnt ask
Old Apr 27th 2010, 9:08 am
Forum Regular

Cherry B is just really niceCherry B is just really niceCherry B is just really niceCherry B is just really niceCherry B is just really niceCherry B is just really niceCherry B is just really niceCherry B is just really nice

I always crack up when I see someone trip up on the pavement, it is soooo not done here it Italy! The OH always cringes and shouts at me to stop when I do it. Still, he doesn't know I threw out his orange trousers
Old Apr 27th 2010, 6:50 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

I suppose one aspect of living in a small village is the lack of beggars. There is no train station for them to hang out in here, no underground, no bus station to speak of and certainly no tourists.

There is one old man who is often at the end of the main street on market day with his faithful dog. I sometimes give the kids a coin or two to put in his hat but only because he plays beautiful music on his piano accordian and this might sound daft, but I feel like he is doing something for his money and not just sitting there.

The soft kids once told me off for giving the old man some money but they were worried about his dog and asked if they could buy a tin of dog food for it. We did but I was unsure of what the man's reaction might be so I stayed very close to the kids when they handed over the dog food. I wasn't sure if the man would get angry or not. He was actually very touched when they gave him a Euro and the tin of food and said "this is for you and this is for your dog - what's its name?"

I have noticed that the policemen never, ever move him on and the lady in the bread shop usually gives him a bread roll or two so I don't know what his story is.
Old Apr 27th 2010, 11:49 pm
Forum Regular

DaniL is an unknown quantity at this point

A few weeks ago I was waiting for my husband outside the Duomo in Florence and one of the gypsies came over waving her cup. I said no and she started goning on about being outside a place of God and her children. I told her that I'm pregnant and I get off my arse and go to work! And asked where her children were, if she cares so much about them!
Should've asked her now she manages to be so fat as well, I'll learn that in Italian for the next one.
And is it just me that get's hassled by umbrella sellers when I actually have one up?
I think we do have a version of the big issue here in Florence, only ever seen 2 people selling it though.
Old Apr 30th 2010, 9:01 am
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

I got the bus back from pansy's the other day, we changed buses near the plant show that's on in Florence at the moment. A bloke got on the bus, bit scruffy, but not overly, with us. I know he paid attention to me and Antonia and I remembered him, if you see what I mean....This would be about 7.30p.m. Went to the plant show the next morning with my friend and he was outside the gates selling the newspaper someone here mentioned for the homeless. I bought one, he was there from the start of the show until it had closed, I felt he deserved it!!
Old Apr 30th 2010, 8:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

indiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by TestaRossa
I got the bus back from pansy's the other day, we changed buses near the plant show that's on in Florence at the moment. A bloke got on the bus, bit scruffy, but not overly, with us. I know he paid attention to me and Antonia and I remembered him, if you see what I mean....This would be about 7.30p.m. Went to the plant show the next morning with my friend and he was outside the gates selling the newspaper someone here mentioned for the homeless. I bought one, he was there from the start of the show until it had closed, I felt he deserved it!!
I used to often buy the Big Issue in the UK and always acknowledge those selling it even to say 'no thanks'. I used to always acknowledge people begging in the UK too.... I wanted to show that although I didn't always give money I did see them.... here you can't do that.... if you acknowledge then they are generally a pain in the arse... as I've found out with my Moroccan 'friend' recently... I do want to see them as people but honestly, often I don't have money to give and I don't feel it's helpful here either....
Old Apr 30th 2010, 8:46 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

Fuori binario is a specifically Florentine thing. It's actually produced on the corner of the square near me! But then near me is the hotbed of communism!! Seriously!! One street has this newspaper, arcobaleno and their charity shop. It's very amusing! They do do a lot in the community though so in many ways they do represent what true communism was all about....They booze a lot too.. It's also, as well as the albergo populare, the reason so many tramps and homeless end up in the piazza near us. Like my son pointed out though they keep to themselves and do seem to have a hierarchy of some sort...
Old May 1st 2010, 12:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Fuori binario is a specifically Florentine thing. It's actually produced on the corner of the square near me! But then near me is the hotbed of communism!! Seriously!! One street has this newspaper, arcobaleno and their charity shop. It's very amusing! They do do a lot in the community though so in many ways they do represent what true communism was all about....They booze a lot too.. It's also, as well as the albergo populare, the reason so many tramps and homeless end up in the piazza near us. Like my son pointed out though they keep to themselves and do seem to have a hierarchy of some sort...
Sounds just my kinda thing!! I have to say that I have been involved in the past with UK homeless charities etc. and the sad thing is that people are homeless for a lot of reasons... many don't want to be found, many have had a life of horribleness that I couldn't even contemplate and are therefore suspicious of every other human being and many are mentally ill and therefore don't really know what's going on and have nobody to help them get better. Makes me feel very especially when there are no easy solutions.
Old May 1st 2010, 3:39 am
The Original Red Head!

Originally Posted by indiebird
Sounds just my kinda thing!!
Which bit? The communism, homeslessness or boozing on the piazza?! Or all three!
Old May 1st 2010, 6:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Which bit? The communism, homeslessness or boozing on the piazza?! Or all three!
weeeellll 2 out of 3 would be good!
Old May 1st 2010, 7:02 am
The Original Red Head!

I'll go for the boozing on the piazza and communism then!! I, too, had a picture of Che on my bedroom wall... ( I thought it was really cool and didn't question what it meant!)
Old May 1st 2010, 7:12 am
BE Forum Addict

I'll go for the boozing on the piazza and communism then!! I, too, had a picture of Che on my bedroom wall... ( I thought it was really cool and didn't question what it meant!)
Must admit that there was no Che Guevara on my wall although I was much enamoured with Wolfie 'Citizen' Smith when I was younger! ...I would go for the two you choose too...
Old May 1st 2010, 7:21 am
The Original Red Head!

Lol! Yeah, Che was his precursor! You're probably a bit young....
Old May 1st 2010, 7:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Lol! Yeah, Che was his precursor! You're probably a bit young....
lmao!! You're probably right!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.