Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Divorcing and left Italy- Advice?

Divorcing and left Italy- Advice?

Old May 29th 2012, 3:26 pm
Forum Regular

sunnyjt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Divorcing and left Italy- Advice?

Hi all,

I finally got the balls to leave my horrific, abusive living situation with my Sicilian husband. Never again.

I am back in the homeland and my god, it's glorious. There are things I miss about Italy, but I had zero personal freedom and was expected to live as a maid. So, I don't miss that!

Just throwing some ideas out there- my husband really caused some physical damage to me and so I left. The Dr's I had to see did no DV screening whatsoever and I knew I could never get help here. Now, my husband refuses to send me any of my things I left behind, which is pretty tough. I am able to get a lawyer here to assist with the divorce, but it looks like it will take a year. luckily it appears that I will be able to be granted a divorce even in his absence (i.e he refuses to sign the papers). I also think he's been running around with women since the minute I left, so if I could get that info I guess I could use it to further my case.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I might need to do/anything I have missed/ any other comments?

Thanks for all supporting me when I was down in the dumps. Even though my situation turned very sour, I am happier than I have been in ages because I am safe and at home.

xo
Old May 29th 2012, 7:26 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Divorcing and left Italy- Advice?

Glad you found the courage to get out and that you now feel safe.
Where did you get married? Italy or the UK?
Old May 30th 2012, 7:08 am
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

Well done and all the best for your new life
Old May 30th 2012, 3:29 pm
Forum Regular

sunnyjt is an unknown quantity at this point

Lorenza- married in Italy. I took the marriage certificate and ran. I need to get it translated now and then I think I will be ok.
Old May 30th 2012, 3:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond repute

Best of luck in your new life and well done for getting out of a bad relationship
Old May 30th 2012, 3:50 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunnyjt
Lorenza- married in Italy. I took the marriage certificate and ran. I need to get it translated now and then I think I will be ok.
I hope so.
I don't have any experience apart from one UK friend who left an Italian husband here.
She went to court before she left but that was because she had kids and needed a judge's permission to take them with her out of the country.
An Italian lawyer filed for divorce for her but she still had to come back to Italy for the final court hearing after the three years of "legal separation" were up.
The decree nisi then arrived at her house in England.

Get a good lawyer. I don't want to put a damper on your newly found happiness but it's always better to be well prepared
Old May 30th 2012, 6:27 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Get a good lawyer
This is sage advice.

Best of luck
Old May 30th 2012, 8:00 pm
Forum Regular

homeandgardens will become famous soon enough

Good for you. I wish you all the best.

H&G
Old May 31st 2012, 6:51 pm
Forum Regular

turivano is an unknown quantity at this point

Good move, it was the right thing to do. No point hanging on thinking it will get better as some do.
Old Jun 17th 2012, 9:17 pm
Just Joined

Robinsnest is an unknown quantity at this point

I shake my head, I am a male ex pat I know that some of the English wife's around here are not allowed to move outside the house my partner and i don't understand it. hey sounds like you have done the right thing, stand up for yourself, you are what matters. Go to the futher be happy.Billy , Sardinia