Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Deductions from Italian income tax

Deductions from Italian income tax

Old May 5th 2009, 5:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

chris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nice
Default Deductions from Italian income tax

Within the last few weeks someone mentioned deducting Uni fees from Italian income tax. I recall that it was mentioned as a "by the way" thing and not strictly connected to the thread title. Consequently I cannot find it. If the writer, or anyone else that remembers, reads this can they shine a light please?
Old May 5th 2009, 8:33 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Deductions from Italian income tax

I think the writer that time was Rosalindann who is now in the UK with her mum so if you don't get a reply quickly you know why. Keep checking back in.
One of her sons, if not both of them, are at Uni ....... might be just the one now if I remember rightly.
Old May 5th 2009, 8:44 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Chris .... I think I might have found the post that you were talking about .......

Don't laugh too loud, my two juniors are 25 and 27. Youngest studies engineering in Turin and the other has a law degree and is studying church law at the vatican university in Venice. From last year we can deduct the vatican university (its a foreign uni) from our tax return. If there is even a wiff something can be tax deducted, we deduct it.

That bit about it being a foreign Uni might not help you though if you were thinking of Italian ones.
Old May 6th 2009, 6:16 am
BE Enthusiast

chris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nice

Thanks Lorna, both my kids are in foreign universities but i believe you can deduct Italian uni fees as well. Rosalindann if you have any more info on this i would be grateful, ie what can you deduct (e.g. accommodation as well) what documentation do you have to provide and (in my case) how do you do it when student loans are involved?
Old May 6th 2009, 7:25 am

Accomodation can be deducted but there are restrictions.

My friend cannot deduct the accomodation fees because her daughter is at a fairly local Uni and I think she said that they have to be at least 100km away and in a different province.

I think it's a 19% rebate on Uni expenses but this might just be on the taxes/fees paid and not all of the expenses.

I don't think you can get anything back for books.