British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Italy (https://britishexpats.com/forum/italy-77/)
-   -   Declaring presence in Italy (https://britishexpats.com/forum/italy-77/declaring-presence-italy-892381/)

Lorna at Vicenza Mar 1st 2017 8:33 am

Re: Declaring presence in Italy

Originally Posted by theitaliansboyfriend (Post 12193338)
Thanks for the replies folks.

To be honest the only thing I'm left unsure on is whether this 6000 euro in the bank (or whatever figure it is) means that I need that much for every year I want to stay otherwise they'll "note" me down for however many years I can support myself for the money I have.

The UK Gov link above indicates that the attestato d’iscrizione anagrafica can vary:

So if I can volunteer to have this set at 1, 2, 4 years or whatever, I presume they can also adjust that however they wish.

So the question is, for 5 years of secure residency, do I need 6500 euros in the bank, or 32,500 euros.

That's really the only thing I'm left concerned over as everything else is in order (I'll be buying my private health insurance tomorrow).

Residency is just residency. It's not something to barter. You don't adjust it to suit you and the comune can't adjust it either. There aren't any little boxes to tick on the application form:
tick A if you intend to stay here for 1 to 5 years.
tick B if you intend to stay here for 5 to 10 years.
tick C if you intend to stay here for a period longer than 10 years.

It doesn't work like that. You don't pay them any money. You just have to show them at the time of application that you can support yourself and won't end up begging at Milan train station or outside supermarkets.
Can you imagine paying them over 30.000 euro for a 5 year residency and then deciding that you hate the place after 6 months? You'd never get your money back.

As far as I know, nobody has ever been checked up on year after year. Once you are registered in the log books, it is up to you to notify them of any changes like moving house, changing towns, leaving the country or dying.

Relax.

theitaliansboyfriend Mar 1st 2017 9:07 am

Originally Posted by modicasa (Post 12193594)
Idont know where in Italy you're planning to be, but with an italian girlfriend you 're going to have to relax a little. Like you, most Brits get worried about the paperwork. once you are here and have had a couple of run ins with bureaucracy you learn to be a little more relaxed about it all. In the south AlOT more relaxed.
Dont be worried about the UK situation. Article50 is not activated, and the UK remains a full EU member for at least another 2 years. Thats the law. For Italy to impose reciprocity will take a further 2 years - so you will be a permanent resident by the time it could possibly be a problem. More important for you is a job and your future - dont get in a flap about the red tape - its much more flexible in ITaly than what you're used to.

Maybe this is my problem. I see all these UK-related horror stories (and the recent goings on in the US) and assume that's just the way it is, like countries are eager to look for even the slightest slip-up to give them a reason to make your life hard.

Maybe I read too much news.

theitaliansboyfriend Mar 1st 2017 9:13 am

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza (Post 12193738)
Residency is just residency. It's not something to barter. You don't adjust it to suit you and the comune can't adjust it either. There aren't any little boxes to tick on the application form:
tick A if you intend to stay here for 1 to 5 years.
tick B if you intend to stay here for 5 to 10 years.
tick C if you intend to stay here for a period longer than 10 years.

It doesn't work like that. You don't pay them any money. You just have to show them at the time of application that you can support yourself and won't end up begging at Milan train station or outside supermarkets.
Can you imagine paying them over 30.000 euro for a 5 year residency and then deciding that you hate the place after 6 months? You'd never get your money back.

As far as I know, nobody has ever been checked up on year after year. Once you are registered in the log books, it is up to you to notify them of any changes like moving house, changing towns, leaving the country or dying.

Relax.

Okay perfect. That's the only thing I was worried about really, i.e. whether they can adjust the initial period of "validity" based on how long it appears I can support myself for with what I have in the bank.

I'll relax a bit. Like pretty much anything to do with Italy, there are various bits of information all over the place which all say slightly different things, so it's easy to start flapping.

I'll arrange everything else I need to sort out and let you all know how it goes.

Lorna at Vicenza Mar 1st 2017 9:26 am

Originally Posted by theitaliansboyfriend (Post 12193772)
Okay perfect. That's the only thing I was worried about really, i.e. whether they can adjust the initial period of "validity" based on how long it appears I can support myself for with what I have in the bank.

I'll relax a bit. Like pretty much anything to do with Italy, there are various bits of information all over the place which all say slightly different things, so it's easy to start flapping.

I'll arrange everything else I need to sort out and let you all know how it goes.

What's the worst that can happen? You go to the comune and some idiot there tells you that you need an extra bit of paper something. So you get it and go back again. Don't forget that you are allowed to be here for three months without doing anything at all.

Italians love paperwork and stamps and signatures, but it's not to make your life harder. It's to make theirs easier because they can't be bothered to process your info that day or want a lazy day in the office or don't know what to do with you. Sometimes they are right, sometimes we think they make it up as they go along.

I was once told in the Post Office that I absolutely could not send something in a cardboard tube because a tube just would not go through their systems. Telling the postal worker that it had been posted to me in the first place and must have already gone through their systems didn't make a difference. Apparently it could come in, but not go out.

A British friend of mine was once randomly stopped by the carabinieri and asked how could he be English when his driving license had UK on it which means Ukraine. Of course he told them it meant United Kingdom but the carabiniere was convinced it meant Ukraine because we are all GB and not UK.

geogal Mar 1st 2017 9:35 am

I have had to have documents translated, from English into French and Italian, over the last few years. I used a company called-Intonation.co.uk. They are official translators and very reasonably priced. You can send them scanned documents to translate. They provide a stamped declaration by email with an original mailed to your home. I also have international insurance I think most UK insurance providers have an international arm (BUPA<AXA PPP etc). search expat medical insurance for the full range of offers. Having dealt with Italian bureaucracy for many years-dont fret too much. The police do check where you live but they're no really bothered how long you have lived there. Their world starts only from the day you apply. My impression has always been that they are only interested in whether you can support yourself and have medical insurance so that you are not a financial drain. Other than that relax, pour a glass of wine and enjoy the beautiful country.

Pica Mar 1st 2017 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza (Post 12193799)
What's the worst that can happen? You go to the comune and some idiot there tells you that you need an extra bit of paper something. So you get it and go back again. Don't forget that you are allowed to be here for three months without doing anything at all.

Italians love paperwork and stamps and signatures, but it's not to make your life harder. It's to make theirs easier because they can't be bothered to process your info that day or want a lazy day in the office or don't know what to do with you. Sometimes they are right, sometimes we think they make it up as they go along.

I was once told in the Post Office that I absolutely could not send something in a cardboard tube because a tube just would not go through their systems. Telling the postal worker that it had been posted to me in the first place and must have already gone through their systems didn't make a difference. Apparently it could come in, but not go out.

A British friend of mine was once randomly stopped by the carabinieri and asked how could he be English when his driving license had UK on it which means Ukraine. Of course he told them it meant United Kingdom but the carabiniere was convinced it meant Ukraine because we are all GB and not UK.

:goodpost::rofl::amen:

snowfox1812 Mar 1st 2017 5:25 pm

Hi
We were here more than 3 months and no-one knew nor were we asked how long we had been here when applying for residency. When we got residency police came round to check we have a toilet and a kitchen (our comune requirements) but was embarrassed as though I was my husbands young friend rather than wife (only 10 years diff) so made an exit to find his car had broken down in our drive. The comune made us sign a declaration about our finances but no proof was asked. Can be in UK or Italy bank. They advised they can check but this has not been done, and it is yearly, our quoted figure was £8500 each (as not legally married in Italy).

theitaliansboyfriend Mar 1st 2017 6:12 pm

Thanks for all the advice folks! The Italian way is indeed rather quirky, but that's part of their charm I suppose.

Originally Posted by snowfox1812 (Post 12194268)
Hi
We were here more than 3 months and no-one knew nor were we asked how long we had been here when applying for residency. When we got residency police came round to check we have a toilet and a kitchen (our comune requirements) but was embarrassed as though I was my husbands young friend rather than wife (only 10 years diff) so made an exit to find his car had broken down in our drive. The comune made us sign a declaration about our finances but no proof was asked. Can be in UK or Italy bank. They advised they can check but this has not been done, and it is yearly, our quoted figure was £8500 each (as not legally married in Italy).

Thanks for the info. Few quick questions if you don't mind!

Is that 8500 pounds or euros? If that's pounds it seems as though it's shot up recently! Unless different comuni have different rates.

When you signed the declaration did you have to provide a bank statement, or did you just say what you had and they accepted it with a signature?

Did they mention anything about the number of years of "validity" they'd give you based on what you had available, or did you just say that you have over 42k+ and that was that?

Strange that they checked for a toilet and kitchen mind!

snowfox1812 Mar 2nd 2017 7:03 am

Sorry euros - if married (marriage recognised by Italian law) then 11,500 euros between both. We just signed declaration, no bank statement asked for even though we had them to hand. Comune just advised they would or may check even with a British bank. This is every year for 5 years. You can show you have over 42,000 but only interested in the 8500 which is what we have in an Italian bank and one in UK bank. We are unsure if it needs to stay permanently in the banks as have been using our italian funds for bills. Police spoke english and said they did not want to see round the house only needed to confirm if we had a kitchen and toilet - possibly so they can state it is not a 'squat'. Although we are renovating and only using a 2 ring burner to cook.

theitaliansboyfriend Mar 2nd 2017 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by snowfox1812 (Post 12194822)
Sorry euros - if married (marriage recognised by Italian law) then 11,500 euros between both. We just signed declaration, no bank statement asked for even though we had them to hand. Comune just advised they would or may check even with a British bank. This is every year for 5 years. You can show you have over 42,000 but only interested in the 8500 which is what we have in an Italian bank and one in UK bank. We are unsure if it needs to stay permanently in the banks as have been using our italian funds for bills. Police spoke english and said they did not want to see round the house only needed to confirm if we had a kitchen and toilet - possibly so they can state it is not a 'squat'. Although we are renovating and only using a 2 ring burner to cook.

Thanks for the info!

So when they gave you residency, did they mention any sort of period, such as 5 years or whatever else? And by "every year for 5 years" do you mean that they'll supposedly check, or that you have to visit the comune and keep proving sufficient resources every year?

Not long until I do it myself so it's good to know as much as I can.

modicasa Mar 3rd 2017 5:18 am

The figures are (rounded up) 7000 euros for a singleton, 10.000 for a married couple and 12000 for a family. You just have to show you have the money. Where is not important.
A kitchen and toilet matter because otherwise it is not a habitation, its a garage.

Donna Noble Mar 8th 2017 1:47 am

To the OP: forgive me if this has been mentioned already but from a quick look through the posts I can't see any reference to your new tax paying obligations once you become resident.

Once your name is on the residents list at the Town Hall you are obliged to do a tax return and report your worldwide income, assets, etc. Obviously, that will include, bank accounts, property, shares, income in the UK.

So you will have to find yourself an accountant, because Self Assessment doesn't exist in Italy. There are lots of previous threads about this issue.

You will find that registering yourself here is pretty straight forward as memtioned above but NOBODY in any of the offices you go to will flag up the tax paying bit to you.

theitaliansboyfriend Mar 8th 2017 7:17 am

Originally Posted by Donna Noble (Post 12199611)
To the OP: forgive me if this has been mentioned already but from a quick look through the posts I can't see any reference to your new tax paying obligations once you become resident.

Once your name is on the residents list at the Town Hall you are obliged to do a tax return and report your worldwide income, assets, etc. Obviously, that will include, bank accounts, property, shares, income in the UK.

So you will have to find yourself an accountant, because Self Assessment doesn't exist in Italy. There are lots of previous threads about this issue.

You will find that registering yourself here is pretty straight forward as memtioned above but NOBODY in any of the offices you go to will flag up the tax paying bit to you.

Thanks for the info.

I'm self-employed at the moment, so I've been hoping to stop that for now, apply for residency with proof of sufficient resources (cash in the bank), enjoy a good few months in Italy to get myself settled in, and then start work again remotely and go through all the tax requirements.

Would I still have to file a tax return immediately?

Donna Noble Mar 8th 2017 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by theitaliansboyfriend (Post 12199703)
Would I still have to file a tax return immediately?

The Tax year in Italy is 1 January to 31 December - with tax reporting deadline about the end of May. So if you become resident in 2017 you will need to think about contacting an accountant at least by March 2018 depending how complicated your situation is. Some might say you'll need to start earlier than that.