Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

De-registering residency?

De-registering residency?

Old Nov 14th 2020, 9:54 am
BE Enthusiast

campos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond repute
Default De-registering residency?

Can this be done quickly online? Will be selling up and shipping out so need to do this. Or is it by appointment? I assume it's anagrafe office...?
Old Nov 14th 2020, 12:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: De-registering residency?

Returning back to the UK
Old Nov 14th 2020, 2:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

campos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by philat98
cheers for that. Though not going to UK some of info useful.
Old Nov 14th 2020, 3:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

jiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant future

QUOTE]932764[/QUOTE] doesn't seem to cover your original question, how to report your departure.
Undoubtedly there are rules/forms/procedures if you go to look for them but my experience was that a simple letter, to Commune or Anagrafe as appropriate suffices, registered, of course, to cover eventual financial questions.
Old Nov 14th 2020, 3:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

jiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant future

QUOTE]932764[/QUOTE] doesn't seem to cover your original question, how to report your departure.
Undoubtedly there are rules/forms/procedures if you go to look for them but my experience was that a simple letter, to Commune or Anagrafe as appropriate suffices, registered, of course, to cover eventual financial questions.
Old Nov 17th 2020, 3:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

GeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud of

For me, it was very straight forward. I went to the Circoscrizione (local Comune branch office) and told them I was leaving the country permanently. They gave me a form to fill in which made the departure official. The kind lady working there also allowed me to submit it via email a few days later when we had actually left. This was important for me because my tessera sanitaria was linked to my residency and I didn't want to be without health cover during the 2-day journey home.

Obviously, not everyone will necessarily be so cooperative but the procedure itself is not difficult.

One tip though - check if you need to book an advance appointment for the Comune (this was the case earlier in the year in Italy with Covid restrictions) as otherwise you might find it impossible to get an appointment before you plan to leave.
Old Jan 3rd 2021, 10:44 am
Just Joined

orsetta is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, apologies as this thread covers part of my question so I have not started a new thread.

What happens if only one person in a joint owned house wants to de-register residency and return to their country of origin? Is the process the same. The other half will remain in Italy. Ownership has been under 5 years so I understand there will be fees to pay too possibly. (I am a current member of this forum just signed in temporarily to avoid flare up from the other half). - I will also check on philat98's link. Is a visit to a Notary necessary to get joint house ownership changed? Is there anything additional I should know, as I want all formalities to be done as and when the departure happens.

Many thanks for all help offered. G.
Old Jan 3rd 2021, 12:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

Be careful with lawyers. They will gobble up all your money.

Last edited by philat98; Jan 3rd 2021 at 12:26 pm.
Old Jan 4th 2021, 5:03 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

Not that easy Im afraid. If the house is in both names, or one of you bought it and is married in commmunion of goods, then the house is owned by both of you. You cannot just change ownership. The only way to get rid of a property is to sell or donate it.
If, hypothetically, one of you is leaving Italy, then yes, deregister at the anagrafe. You will continue to be the owner, but now pay IMU but less TARI on your half of the property, so its important to also tell hte TARI and IMu office of your leaving.
Important to remember that the house cannot be sold without your signature. So either the other half buys you out, with all the taxes and notary costs that involves, or when its decided to sell you get half each. In the rare cases that a house is divisible, you can ask a judge to carve it up, but usually it doesnt work like that. Good luck.
Old Jan 4th 2021, 10:00 am
Just Joined

Thanks both, spanner in the works then ! Could one half donate the house to the other half? Clutching at straws here, or donate their half it to a step child? Buy out is not feasible.
Old Jan 4th 2021, 10:56 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

Yes you can donate your half, but it costs with tax and notary virtually the same as buying it.
Old Jan 7th 2021, 7:29 am
Just Joined

:-( ah well its good to know. Thanks again.
Old Jan 10th 2021, 10:12 am
Forum Regular

Plan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud of

Best of luck orsetta, in what sounds a particularly difficult time.
Old Jan 10th 2021, 2:53 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Plan B
Best of luck orsetta, in what sounds a particularly difficult time.
Thanks everyone for the information and support. Update - the other half has now walked out for their country of origin (apologies don't want to add too much info and upset them). They have not informed the comune , INPA or accountant. Without getting into complex details will any financial implications / fees/ fines fall on them or me as the person remaining in Italy? And is it down to me to now inform the comune? I don't feel it is my position to inform INPA or the accountant but knowledge and thoughts welcome. Thanks again and apologies as I normally cope on my own.
Old Jan 11th 2021, 6:44 am
BE Forum Addict

If the house is in 2 names, then the OH is still responsibile for their half of IMU (if payable). You have been here for less than 5 years so the OH will automatically lose their residency once they have been out of the country for more than 6 months. You cannot emigrate someone else, so for the moment there is little you can do. If your househhold is now a single occupier, then it might be worth telling the TARI office, as there are discounts in some comunes for single person households, the TARI is calculated on the property so will be payable by the remaining occupant - and you would have to convert it into your name if it isnt already.
The accountant will need to know at some point, last years tax return will be due in June. There's no immediate hurry. As regards INPS its the OH choice. If for example there is an active partita IVA then its best to get it shut down asap, as otherwise contributions will roll inexorably on. However, most things in Italy are on the person - and therefore there is no liability on the remaining half - though it does depend if they are married or not and if so in what state - communion or separation of goods. Alot depends on your comune, it might be worth a factfinding visit if the comune is small - and if it is small they will probably already know the situation! If you have a joint bank account then you will need to take some action. Good luck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.