Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

A culinary question - this for carnivores.

A culinary question - this for carnivores.

Old Aug 18th 2023, 5:34 pm
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute
Default A culinary question - this for carnivores.

Hi folk, popping in from BeNeLux hoping for some hints.

I'm looking to make vitello tonnato for a special occasion in a couple of weeks time; I've not done this dish before.

I'm comfortable with the tonnato side of things, but as to the meat, should I look to rub-roast it or broth-simmer it?

My internet search results seem to be split on recipes regarding this, just wondered if someone here has any thoughts?
Old Aug 18th 2023, 6:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A culinary question - this for carnivores.

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy
Hi folk, popping in from BeNeLux hoping for some hints.

I'm looking to make vitello tonnato for a special occasion in a couple of weeks time; I've not done this dish before.

I'm comfortable with the tonnato side of things, but as to the meat, should I look to rub-roast it or broth-simmer it?

My internet search results seem to be split on recipes regarding this, just wondered if someone here has any thoughts?
I like the website GialloZafferano. Their recipes are simple and reliable. In this recipe they just simmer the veal in water.
https://blog.giallozafferano.it/cuci...nnato-ricetta/
Old Aug 19th 2023, 9:32 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

My butcher told me he cooks the veal in veg stock and obviously he has a meat slicer to slice the veal very thinly.
Old Aug 19th 2023, 10:08 am
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by philat98
I like the website GialloZafferano. Their recipes are simple and reliable. In this recipe they just simmer the veal in water.
https://blog.giallozafferano.it/cuci...nnato-ricetta/
Nice website, some good ideas in there, thank you.

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
My butcher told me he cooks the veal in veg stock and obviously he has a meat slicer to slice the veal very thinly.
Thanks Lorna, it seems that simmering in stock is the way to go.

I don't have a slicer, but I've successfully made a Japanese-style carpaccio dish by almost freezing the meat to firm it before slicing. A 700-800 gm cut should be manageable.

---

Aside, while searching around, I discovered Pallotte Cacio e Uova, so that's going on the to-try list.
Old Aug 21st 2023, 7:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

jonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to behold

You can also get away with using a cheaper meat, e,g, vitellone, as long as it cuts well.
Old Aug 22nd 2023, 2:25 pm
Gloves off

Originally Posted by jonwel
You can also get away with using a cheaper meat, e,g, vitellone, as long as it cuts well.
Thanks for that, I had never heard of vitellone before. 'Aged' veal, who knew? I'm thinking that I'll have to take what I can get, even down to the cut, which barring a miracle will be rump.

If I could summon up the courage to head into Antwerp to some high-end butcher, I may have a chance of finding 'Eye round', but here in the sticks there's less choice.

I really like it that one can learn good stuff here simply by asking in the right place.
Old Aug 22nd 2023, 3:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that, I had never heard of vitellone before. 'Aged' veal, who knew? I'm thinking that I'll have to take what I can get, even down to the cut, which barring a miracle will be rump.

If I could summon up the courage to head into Antwerp to some high-end butcher, I may have a chance of finding 'Eye round', but here in the sticks there's less choice.

I really like it that one can learn good stuff here simply by asking in the right place.
Vitellone is just beef from cows of between 12 and 18months old. You need something that cuts very fine.
My partner says veal with tuna is frquently served in hospitals in Italy.

Last edited by philat98; Aug 22nd 2023 at 3:34 pm.
Old Aug 22nd 2023, 4:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

jonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to behold

When I said vitellone I didn't mean to be too specific. The point is that any piece of bovine meat that can be cut into reasonable slices will do, unless you're going for something high-class, in which case follow the instructions you've already had. My partner used to achieve good results with a piece of boiling beef as long as it was compact. The dominant flavour is the tuna sauce, so that's at least as important as the cut of beef. No need to spend too much!.
Old Aug 25th 2023, 4:15 pm
Gloves off

Rock'n'roll time on the test shot, just waiting for the fries.

I think it might need some red bits - capsicum - to finish. That'll be for next week.

Thanks all
Old Aug 25th 2023, 5:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rock'n'roll time on the test shot, just waiting for the fries.

I think it might need some red bits - capsicum - to finish. That'll be for next week.

Thanks all
Looks good. Wouldnt mind that for dinner.
Old Aug 26th 2023, 6:28 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

That looks great although I can't stand olives.
Old Sep 3rd 2023, 1:21 pm
Gloves off

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
That looks great although I can't stand olives.
I do like olives, but thought that the presentation could be bettered, so I went with this for last Friday evening's feast.

Tomatoes rather than capsicum, with the olives in a small bowl on the side.

Oh, and I caved in and bought a meat slicer
Old Sep 3rd 2023, 1:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Did you use homemade maionaise? Its very different from the Heinze stuff.

Last edited by philat98; Sep 3rd 2023 at 3:26 pm.
Old Sep 3rd 2023, 2:19 pm
Gloves off

Originally Posted by philat98
Did you use homemade maionaise? Its very different from the Hienze stuff.
Indeed I did, basing it on this recipe from Felicity Cloake but reducing the overall oil quantity from that recipe to around 180ml, and splitting the olive/sunflower mix half and half. And using two egg yolks.

As it was just being used as a vehicle for tuna/anchovy I didn't put too much thought into herbs, mustard, etc this time, but will be paying more attention on future escapades.

It's much better than commercial mayo
Old Sep 3rd 2023, 3:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Indeed I did, basing it on this recipe from Felicity Cloake but reducing the overall oil quantity from that recipe to around 180ml, and splitting the olive/sunflower mix half and half. And using two egg yolks.

As it was just being used as a vehicle for tuna/anchovy I didn't put too much thought into herbs, mustard, etc this time, but will be paying more attention on future escapades.

It's much better than commercial mayo
I make it the same but with garlic and French mustard. When I first made it I was shocked how good it was.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.