Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Cost of living in italy

Wikiposts

Cost of living in italy

Old Jun 15th 2015, 4:41 pm
Forum Regular

JACHA has a reputation beyond reputeJACHA has a reputation beyond reputeJACHA has a reputation beyond reputeJACHA has a reputation beyond reputeJACHA has a reputation beyond reputeJACHA has a reputation beyond reputeJACHA has a reputation beyond reputeJACHA has a reputation beyond reputeJACHA has a reputation beyond reputeJACHA has a reputation beyond reputeJACHA has a reputation beyond repute
Default Cost of living in italy

Can anyone please tell me where I can find information on the current cost of living in Italy. I realize there will be differences in what region you live in. I am having trouble finding the latest information.
Regards
Cheska
Old Jun 15th 2015, 5:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of living in italy

Techincally it is ISTAT that publishes this information, but they pick their own statistics, and its, in my opinion, completely unreliable.
Old Jun 15th 2015, 5:42 pm
Forum Regular

JACHA has a reputation beyond reputeJACHA has a reputation beyond reputeJACHA has a reputation beyond reputeJACHA has a reputation beyond reputeJACHA has a reputation beyond reputeJACHA has a reputation beyond reputeJACHA has a reputation beyond reputeJACHA has a reputation beyond reputeJACHA has a reputation beyond reputeJACHA has a reputation beyond reputeJACHA has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks modicasa. Yes we are a bit suspicious of our Bureau of Stats too. I ended up at this site.
Cost of Living in Siena. Prices in Siena. Updated May 2015
Even though I was raised never to discuss religion politics or money I am trying to find out is what sort of lifestyle a certain amount would give you in a town in Umbria/Lombardy for example. We will visit Southern Italy but could be harder to live there with out limited italian(at the moment)
Everybody talks/writes about how wonderful it is to live in Italy and seems to glorify the whole process (and I fall for it) but my darling husband probaly wants more of the nitty gritty details.
Thanks
Cheska
Old Jun 15th 2015, 6:55 pm
Forum Regular

PSG2014 has a reputation beyond reputePSG2014 has a reputation beyond reputePSG2014 has a reputation beyond reputePSG2014 has a reputation beyond reputePSG2014 has a reputation beyond reputePSG2014 has a reputation beyond reputePSG2014 has a reputation beyond reputePSG2014 has a reputation beyond reputePSG2014 has a reputation beyond reputePSG2014 has a reputation beyond reputePSG2014 has a reputation beyond repute

Wow ! Having had a look at the websites mentioned, the GENERAL view that I have of living in the real world here, prices are MUCH lower than reflected.
Old Jun 15th 2015, 8:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

Sicily isnt even on the map!
Looking at Siena i pay:
milk - between 70 and 90 cents a litre
chicken breast - 4 -6 euros a kilo
electric for my 85mq house - 40 euros per month
capuccino 1.10 whether at the bar or sitting outside
pizza to take out - 4-6 euros
pizzeria for 2 beer, pizza etc - 20 euros
eggs 1 euro for 10
tomatoes - depending on the season 4 euros for a crate
cherries at the moment 1 euro a kilo
melons 5 for 5 euros
rents - a half of Siena
purchases a quarter of Siena prices
(salaries about half of Siena)

Certain things are the same everywhere - cigarettes, petrol, etc - but you cna basically work on the basis that living in the south costs half of living in the north.
Old Jun 15th 2015, 8:41 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the information from you both.I could move now just for the price of cherries. The financial requirement to meet visa application and Permesso Di Soggiorno is 31,000 euros for my husband and 7,000 extra for me as a dependant. Current exchange rates is roughly $55,000 Aussie dollars. We were wondering if that total would be enough to have what I would call a comfortable lifestyle for 12 months. The 38,000 E would be living costs only and rent and heating would not be included in that amount. My husband really feels the cold so I would expext to pay more.
What we really wanted to do was live in Umbria for 6 months and then somewhere in Southern Italy for 6 months but sadly it appears we cant do this when applying for either the visa and Permesso Di Soggiorno as we must provide a lease for 12 months.
Thanks as always
Cheska
Old Jun 15th 2015, 10:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Theres nothing to stop you moving once you are here though surely. You would have your visa at that point. Sign a contract for 12 months, and then give notice. 38000 in the south would allow you a pretty lovely lifestyle for a year.
Old Jun 15th 2015, 10:37 pm
Forum Regular

Modicasa-We thought of that too but thought that it may seem unethical to knowingly sign a legal document with no intention of complying with it. Not to mention the possibility of losing the bond, and possible other complications. Even wondered if we could provide two leases for a total of 12 months. However the Italian Consulate did not like the idea at all.
Regards
Old Jun 20th 2015, 4:44 pm
Forum Regular

If we broke the lease after 10 months would this be a problem. The reason I am nervous about breaking a lease is that here in Australia you can be held responsible for the rent and all associated costs until the lease ends.
Regards
Old Jun 21st 2015, 1:11 am
BE Forum Addict

No. If its a yearly contract, as long as you give notice within the required time frame, there is no reason why you shouldhave problems.
Old Jun 21st 2015, 7:38 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks modicasa. Guess I should stop worrying as much about all the things that could go wrong.
Regards
Old Jun 22nd 2015, 6:27 pm
Forum Regular

Laura69 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Jacha, I am Italian and after many years abroad, between last year and this year I moved back to Italy with the family for a few months. I found prices much lower than expected, even bills. However, cherries at 1 euro/kg must be on really special offer and really seasonal. You are looking more around 5 euros/kg according to what my family says.
Why don't you consider Emilia -Romagna instead of Tuscany? The housing market has practically collapsed and you can find good properties at reasonable prices. Heck, I could rent you my flat...
Honestly, Tuscany is more expensive because it is more coveted by foreigners, but E-R is a very pretty region and the standard of living is quite high. This would make your budget go further.

However, don't think that living in Italy is only a dream. Some people say this because they would never admit that living in a foreign country can be very hard work. So many people would love to live in Cyprus but believe me, I would have a few things to tell them...

All the best!
Old Jun 22nd 2015, 7:45 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Laura
Will definetly look at E-R. I am looking for a biggish town (10-20 thousand) and have already been to Parma(the friendliest town I have ever been too but a bit flat) and Bologna. We are looking for a town that has rolling hills and good transportation links. I would be grateful for any suggestions.
Cherries are $12 a kg here but they are well and truly out of season. As it has been -5 here in the mornings the desire for summer fruit is nonexistent.
We appreciate your frank advice that living in a foreign country can be hard work and we are quite honest with each other about expectations.
Once again thank you.
Regards
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 6:03 am
Forum Regular

Laura69 is an unknown quantity at this point

Jacha, I think you will struggle to find large towns on the E-R Appennines. It is a bit of a depressed area job-wise and although very scenic, a lot of people tend to move towards the main towns and go back during weekends and to spend their summer holidays.
I have checked a few places for you:
Castelnovo Monti: around 10,000 (under Reggio Emilia province)
Borgotaro: around 7,000 (under Parma Province)
Bobbio: about 4,000 (under Piacenza province)
Pavullo nel Frignano: around 17,000 (under Modena province).

The village of Canossa that I was mentioning has around 3,500 inhabitants, Quattro Castella (Four Castles because of the castles on the hills above the village) has around 12,000 and Albinea around 8,000. Rolling hills abound and you can ski at the resorts about 1 hour away (provided there is snow, some years are a bit iffy in terms of weather). All these villages have good transport links to the town of Reggio Emilia and all the services you need in terms of doctors, shops and facilities like swimming pools, gyms etc. are nearby. From Reggio you can go anywhere by train and there is also the Mediopadana High Speed train stop (the only stop between Milan and Bologna).

The feel is totally different from Tuscany, though. It is wilder and definitely northern in terms of climate as well. We tend to have hot summers and cold winters, with fog and some snow. It also rains throughout the year, and you can expect at least a couple of good thunderstorms in the summer.

I don't know the hills in Romagna at all unfortunately, but I passed by and just above Rimini you can find villages and the landscape is pretty.

In terms of rolling hills, have you considered Lake Garda in its northern part (e.g. Malcesine and Riva del Garda), or the area of Colli Euganei in Veneto? There are hilly areas also around Lake Iseo (part of my family is from there), and further up you go towards the Alps.

I suggest a search on Google Earth, there are always photos that can give you an idea of how a place looks like and then see if there is the mix of things you might want to do while you are there.
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 7:21 pm
Forum Regular

Laura
Thank you for that fantastic information. I will check put all the villages you have mentioned and Quattro Castella sounds good.
We have stayed in Varenna in 2009 and Salo in 2013 and we loved both places.The Italian Lakes are absolutely beautiful and we have considered living in that area but the price of rentals on the sites I have looked at seem to be quite high.
The weather in the North seems similar to what we have here. Although I am not sure that Northern Italy has minus 7 tempratures in Winter. We get very hot summers (sometimes 40 degrees plus) so that isn't a problem here because we have good heating and airconditioning and are quite prepared to pay for it but would want the same in Italy.
The only reason I considereded Lucca was because of the language school there. Lecco,and Spoleto were other considerations. Also Cesnea because there is a squash court there where my husband could play masters squash.
The only must have is an apartment with a balcony or outside seating.While some apartments are fully furnished, I am not sure if this means they are fully equipped with kitchen utensils,sheets etc.
Once again thank you. Where is your flat???? is it for rent.lol
Regards
Jacha

Last edited by JACHA; Jun 23rd 2015 at 7:24 pm. Reason: grammar

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.