Chiggers.

Old Apr 13th 2018, 9:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Chiggers.

Think my post in answer to Philat98 is causing a little confusion here, sorry. Blackfly bite and draw blood, Chiggers don't bite but inject a toxin according to wiki and from what I've read can cause an alergic reaction.
I get bitten by blackfly and have been most years here, they tend to disappear around June (dry and hotter) and I can't recall any bites other than spring.
I think it's likely Lorna's son met "The Chiggers" and had a bad reaction, but so long as he is okay now I doubt they care
Old Apr 14th 2018, 12:48 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe the chiggers had a huge orgy crawling up Alex's body because he did have the same clothes on for hours and hours before he came home?
Maybe he is more susceptible already being allergic to dust mites?
The mad crazy itch has almost gone except from his groin area. Last night I told him to take off his boxers and watch his crappy films and YouTube with "everything" out in the fresh air and then just wear loose shorts.

This morning he asked me for a note to excuse him from PE because his legs still look like he has scabby Chicken Pox and he didn't want the other lads to pick on him for being infectious or something or having some kind of lurgy.
Old Apr 16th 2018, 6:17 am
Forum Regular

Donna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond repute

An important addition here since the perils of playing in long grass have been raised! Oh, so much for spontaneously running romantically through meadows wearing a pretty summer dress!

No! Your foray must be pre-planned and appropriate clothing adorned!

This is about ticks, or zecche in Italian. Ideally, long trousers should be worn when walking, or running, in long grass. Of course, this isn’t always possible so you should always check your and your children’s skin for any ticks that have managed to embed themselves! Sounds disgusting but ticks are very common in the Italian countryside. If you do find one, you should pull it out very carefully using tweezers. Don’t brush it off because you risk breaking it and leaving half still embedded in the skin!

A tick or zecca can carry Lymes disease, which is very serious and can actually lead to complications like muscle spasms in the heart.

The rash is a bullseye shape (red ring, skin coloured in the centre) and gets larger and larger until it finally fades out.

I have a friend who had this rash and went to the doctor (I’m talking about in Italy) who said it was “nothing”. My friend only found out years later what the rash had been, and had a blood test to confirm it. He was very lucky that it didn’t get it full-blown. I’ve also read that British doctors aren’t great at recognising it either.
Old Apr 16th 2018, 6:58 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Donna Noble
An important addition here since the perils of playing in long grass have been raised! Oh, so much for spontaneously running romantically through meadows wearing a pretty summer dress!

No! Your foray must be pre-planned and appropriate clothing adorned!

This is about ticks, or zecche in Italian. Ideally, long trousers should be worn when walking, or running, in long grass. Of course, this isn’t always possible so you should always check your and your children’s skin for any ticks that have managed to embed themselves! Sounds disgusting but ticks are very common in the Italian countryside. If you do find one, you should pull it out very carefully using tweezers. Don’t brush it off because you risk breaking it and leaving half still embedded in the skin!

A tick or zecca can carry Lymes disease, which is very serious and can actually lead to complications like muscle spasms in the heart.

The rash is a bullseye shape (red ring, skin coloured in the centre) and gets larger and larger until it finally fades out.

I have a friend who had this rash and went to the doctor (I’m talking about in Italy) who said it was “nothing”. My friend only found out years later what the rash had been, and had a blood test to confirm it. He was very lucky that it didn’t get it full-blown. I’ve also read that British doctors aren’t great at recognising it either.
Hi from the France forum, the title intrigued me!
I always wear long trousers in rural France, but even so I discovered a tick in a most embarrassing place, without knowing it was a tick. An urgent visit to the dermatologist thinking the worst (a sudden cancerous mole), and, as a dog owner, she dealt with it without more ado. We had a good laugh afterwards.... OH once had one stuck to his neck and I twisted it off with a special hook affair (available in pharmacies) that I used for our dog. The important thing is not to leave the head embedded in the skin.
Maybe nothing to do with Lorna's son's problem, but useful to know....