Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Censorship of English Teachers' Ads

Censorship of English Teachers' Ads

Old Dec 14th 2009, 12:43 pm
Forum Regular

Donna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond repute
Default Censorship of English Teachers' Ads

Over the last few years, a native English speaker living in the area has been regularly sending in her two-line ad to a local popular monthly magazine (I don't know if I'm allowed to say the name but there are local editions all over Vicenza Province).

Strangely, over the last three months the ad failed to appear in print. So, husband (italian speaker) phones up the small ads assistant to ask why not.

The reply finally squeezed out of the young assistant: a local language school has paid them not to publish any ads for mother tongue language teachers!!

When I heard this story I didn't believe it, so I got hold of my recent copy of the mag and wow! where there used to regularly be a bunch of ads for mother tongue teachers (also including french, german etc) there are now none!

It's impossible to know which local language school has knobbled the Editor, but is the the magazine allowed to ban these ads - aren't they contravening EU laws on racism, equality, etc?

It's not my ad but I feel really strongly about this issue!

What organisation here in Italy would deal with a complaint of this nature?
Old Dec 14th 2009, 2:44 pm
Forum Regular

JohnD63 has a spectacular aura aboutJohnD63 has a spectacular aura aboutJohnD63 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Censorship of English Teachers' Ads

As usual, it's not what you know but who you know in Italy.
Old Dec 14th 2009, 7:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

indiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by JohnD63
As usual, it's not what you know but who you know in Italy.
oh yes!! We have even sat out roasting in the sun for 45minutes waiting for 'certain' parents to arrive for summer recitals at the nursery school.... and noone finds it strange or slightly sinister!!
Old Dec 14th 2009, 7:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to Italy - land of illusions
You could always try and write to someone but I'd put a bet on the fact that no-one will take the blindest bit of notice. They're not really into writing etc here - even if you send your CV to 200 places the likelihood of a reply is remote at the best !!
anyway - if you feel really strongly about it you could try writing a letter to the sort of ' readers open page' where they usually print things.
Cant think of anything else - maybe speak to someone from the comune or a friend of a friend maybe who has contacts ???
I do agree with you though - its absolutely disgusting and should not be allowed to happen. It surely contravenes something - however a student of mine told me last week: ' You have to understand that in Italy we have many many laws - but the enjoyment is to find the loophole and just carry on anyway '
Old Dec 14th 2009, 8:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Isakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond repute

Can I suggest to post a question on this website:

http://ec.europa.eu/citizensrights/f...ibility_en.htm

They will be able to point out information and advice services here in Italy that might help you.
There must be a code of conduct to which publishers have to adher to.

I have used them in the past on European/Italian law and they were excellent.

Isakat
Old Dec 15th 2009, 6:25 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

I'd also be tempted to have a little chat with the Guardia Di Finanza.

This smacks of accepting a "bustarella" which is corruption which is of course illegal.
Old Dec 16th 2009, 7:44 am
BE Enthusiast

clint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really nice

You could try this too:

http://www.dirittodelmercato.com/ser...-materia-di-t/
Old Dec 16th 2009, 12:30 pm
Forum Regular

Donna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for all those suggestions. I'm going to chase this up as much as I can and I'll let you know if I get any where.
Old Dec 16th 2009, 3:28 pm
Forum Regular

JohnD63 has a spectacular aura aboutJohnD63 has a spectacular aura aboutJohnD63 has a spectacular aura about

It's amazing the difference in attitudes towards this post. Me being English thinks its unfair and a damned cheek, whereas my other half (Italian) says "whats the problem. The Editor/owner of the magazine can put what he likes in his 'own' magazine." The owner of local language school and Editor are probably good mates and like most Italians it's a 'You scratch my back and i'll scratch yours' mentality. this seems to be the way business is done here.
Old Dec 17th 2009, 12:11 pm
Forum Regular

I totally agree with that!

That's what makes it so scary.

Who can you approach, who can you trust?

Recently I've had the vibe that there's this kind of undercurrent of anarchy in this country. We all know there are rules and regulations galore, and once upon a time I might have thought it endearing that people just look for the loophole (cos there's always one) to get what they want.

Now I'm feeling it's all just a bit sinister. I'm not liking it!
Old Dec 17th 2009, 12:20 pm
Forum Regular

Regarding the issue at hand ... I've been told that it is in fact illegal.

There are competition, transparency and discrimination issues here.

But at the end of the day, it's not actually my personal problem (at the moment in any case - but maybe I'll want to place an ad in the future though?).

I would have to convince the lady who's ad was withheld and she'd have to go to a lawyer ... ? I really don't know who I would approach.
Old Dec 17th 2009, 2:02 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Donna Noble
Regarding the issue at hand ... I've been told that it is in fact illegal.

There are competition, transparency and discrimination issues here.

But at the end of the day, it's not actually my personal problem (at the moment in any case - but maybe I'll want to place an ad in the future though?).

I would have to convince the lady who's ad was withheld and she'd have to go to a lawyer ... ? I really don't know who I would approach.
Ring up the Giornale Di Vicenza and see if they want to name and shame the magazine. Does your friend have proof that she placed the ads - like an email or something?
Old Dec 17th 2009, 2:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

indiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Ring up the Giornale Di Vicenza and see if they want to name and shame the magazine. Does your friend have proof that she placed the ads - like an email or something?
This is soooooo what you do in the UK now, why not have a go here. Cheaper than lining the pockets of lawers!!
Old Dec 17th 2009, 2:37 pm
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

Be careful because here in Italy the law and justice are two very strange and totally separate things. You wouldn't want to be sued for defamation. Besides, the paper has every right to refuse publication of any ad that it wants. You're driving up a dead end street.
Old Dec 17th 2009, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by duffer
Be careful because here in Italy the law and justice are two very strange and totally separate things. You wouldn't want to be sued for defamation. Besides, the paper has every right to refuse publication of any ad that it wants. You're driving up a dead end street.
Yeah but they do have the right to accept a backhand payment ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.