Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Car from UK to ITALY

Car from UK to ITALY

Old Aug 20th 2011, 6:30 pm
Banned

6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute
Default Car from UK to ITALY

OK

I posted this in Frenchie forum too

I am leaving the Uk on probably the 5th or 6th September

Driving to Dover over to Dunkirk then on to Genova, followed by boat to Palermo and drive to Aci Trezza near catania

Just me in the car right now so open to offers for bringing stuff over or even a lift if someone happens to want to travel this way

I am based in Edinburgh now and can come down the UK either M1 or m6

Anyway, if I can help bring something over to your part of the world let me know - its a lot of petrol and I need something to subsidise it!
Old Aug 20th 2011, 8:47 pm
Banned

6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car from UK to ITALY

Could possibly drive to Napoli - just noticed this is an option also
Old Aug 21st 2011, 7:03 am
BE Forum Addict

ononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond repute

Ciao, from Napoli there is a actually a daily ferry service to Catania - would save you the drive from Palermo.
If you're interested in a route from Dunkirk that will save you French tolls, and give you an opportunity to fill up with cheap fuel:
Dunkirk - Lille - Tournai - Mons - Namur - Arlon - Luxembourg (cheap fuel/fags/booze) - Thionville - Metz - Nancy - Epinal - Mulhouse - Basel - Luzern - Gothard Tunnel - Chiasso/Como
ciao for now,
'o nonno
Old Aug 21st 2011, 10:47 am
Banned

Thanks

I am unsure as to the route right now but the emerging favourite is a ferry from Genoa to Palermo.

I am certainly not going to be driving the full length of Italy again - I think the boat from Genoa is the favourite as it saves many hundreds of miles in driving, even with the Palermo to Catania mileage considered. Napoli is second choice, although you can go straight to Catania it does not save nearly as many miles as the boat from Genoa.

I will have a look at google maps to see what your route through France looks like - technology is ace- it tells you time / distance / tolls

I will not be in a hurry to get through France so do not need to use Toll roads.

Thanks

Last edited by 6monthshere6monthsthere; Aug 21st 2011 at 10:51 am.
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 5:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

jiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant future

Unless you have to use the M1 or M6, I would recomend A1 - M11 as the best way to the Channel ports from Scotland; it has the advantage of meeting the M25 further east.
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 8:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Margaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jiminalpago
Unless you have to use the M1 or M6, I would recomend A1 - M11 as the best way to the Channel ports from Scotland; it has the advantage of meeting the M25 further east.
Definitely agree with this one. Used it several times from Northumberland to the channel tunnel.
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 9:13 am
BE Forum Addict

ononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond repute

....and believe it or not from North Wales too. Via 'over the tops' from Manchester.
ciao for now,
'o nonno
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 9:54 am
Banned

Thanks a lot, I will adjust the route accordingly
looking at the map it makes perfect sense
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 11:38 am
superman2

superman2 is just really nicesuperman2 is just really nicesuperman2 is just really nicesuperman2 is just really nicesuperman2 is just really nicesuperman2 is just really nicesuperman2 is just really nicesuperman2 is just really nicesuperman2 is just really nice

A few years ago I used to do this route as a long distance lorry driver, I would pick up fish products in Peterhead and drive to Ancona drop off for the Greek ferry, cross Italy to Genoa collect fish bait and return to Peterhead. My route was A1 down to hull, then ferry to zeebruge thru belgium Luxemburg, Metz, Nancy and into Switzerland, on this way there are no tolls except colmar tunnel.
The cost of the crossing from hull is more than Dover but not that much but saves the 6hrs drive to Dover . We were routed the same way back as mentioned before the fuel has always been not expensive in Luxemburg.
I got to love the italian east coast so much I eventually purchased a house in Abruzzo and live there now. I was based in Leicester and if I go back I still use the hull ferry option saves the M25.
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 1:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Margaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by superman2
A few years ago I used to do this route as a long distance lorry driver, I would pick up fish products in Peterhead and drive to Ancona drop off for the Greek ferry, cross Italy to Genoa collect fish bait and return to Peterhead. My route was A1 down to hull, then ferry to zeebruge thru belgium Luxemburg, Metz, Nancy and into Switzerland, on this way there are no tolls except colmar tunnel.
The cost of the crossing from hull is more than Dover but not that much but saves the 6hrs drive to Dover . We were routed the same way back as mentioned before the fuel has always been not expensive in Luxemburg.
I got to love the italian east coast so much I eventually purchased a house in Abruzzo and live there now. I was based in Leicester and if I go back I still use the hull ferry option saves the M25.
We've always found that by booking in advance the tunnel has been cheaper than the ferries. Can you take dogs (suitably passported) on that route?
Old Aug 24th 2011, 11:59 am
Banned

OK

This might help someone

I found what I believe to be a great route!
I did look at ferries from hull and newcastle, but I am aiming for budget and the route I have is much cheaper than either involving a longer ferry - of course I spend more on fuel, but the ferry from Newcaslte to Amsterdam is £190 and the extra fuel cost is around £50

So here is my ROUTE GUIDE !

Edinburgh to Dover - taking M11 to avoid part of M25

Dover to Dunkirke - Ferry is £19 (Dover to Calais £35) tunnel £65

USING - http://www.viamichelin.com/web/Maps

VIAMICHELIN is fantastic!

A route that is shorter than Calais to Genova is mapped out - as its leaving from Dunkirke it also misses the toll roads saving around £75 total

Over night from Genova to Palermo 64 euro
Palmero to Catania

Best route - price and time

TOTAL COST INCLUSIVE of 2 ferries -

Estimated fuel at what I got on 250 mile run last week plus 10%

Edinburgh to Catania - £340
Dover to Catania £275
Dover to Palermo £245

Last edited by 6monthshere6monthsthere; Aug 24th 2011 at 12:04 pm.
Old Aug 24th 2011, 12:14 pm
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

How much is it from Vicenza to London then smartypants?
Old Aug 24th 2011, 12:19 pm
Banned

I aint travelling that way and busy at work.

I just posted the route as I have been looking at all options and I am pretty certain its the most efficient way to get from UK / Scotland to Sicily.

It might help someone /save them some time
Old Aug 24th 2011, 6:51 pm
Banned

So

I am able to pick up /drop off en route if it works for anyone
Old Aug 24th 2011, 6:54 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 6monthshere6monthsthere
So

I am able to pick up /drop off en route if it works for anyone
Stop touting for business - we get the message.

Can I have lots of bacon and cheddar delivered to my door please otherwise I will ban you - forever !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.