Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Car from UK to ITALY

Car from UK to ITALY

Old Aug 24th 2011, 7:00 pm
Banned

6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car from UK to ITALY

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Stop touting for business - we get the message.

Can I have lots of bacon and cheddar delivered to my door please otherwise I will ban you - forever !

Whats your problem?

Read the thread and point out how I am "Touting for business"

The route was unknown until today now it is

Its hardly touting for business offering to help people out.
The thread was mainly about the BEST ROUTE and I posted this as it also might help someone out!

I am already dropping off a box of gloves for someone in france- its not costing them anything i happen to be passing by and am happy to do it

Forum moderator - wow, the power, get a grip

Last edited by 6monthshere6monthsthere; Aug 24th 2011 at 7:12 pm.
Old Aug 24th 2011, 7:18 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 6monthshere6monthsthere
Whats your problem?

Read the thread and point out how I am "Touting for business"

The route was unknown until today now it is

Its hardly touting for business offering to help people out.
The thread was mainly about the BEST ROUTE and I posted this as it also might help someone out!

I am already dropping off a box of gloves for someone in france- its not costing them anything i happen to be passing by and am happy to do it

Forum moderator - wow, the power, get a grip
Oh get a grip for God's sake man. It was a bloody joke hence the comment about bacon and cheese and getting banned.... not to mention the big smiley face.
Old Aug 24th 2011, 7:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

jiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant future

I aint travelling that way and busy at work.

I just posted the route as I have been looking at all options and I am pretty certain its the most efficient way to get from UK / Scotland to Sicily.

It might help someone /save them some time
In one of Bill Bryson's books he he suggests something on the lines of "Never ask in a pub the best way from Reading to Winchester. You will be inundated with suggestions." But you asked for this!
With deference to Superman2, who obviously knows his stuff, the fastest, most trouble-free route from this side of La Manica to Italy for a private car is Dunkirk - Liege - Spa - Trier - Ludwigshaven; here you have the choice of following the Rhine Valley to Basel or cutting east towards the Brenner. You are on toll-free motorways or Superstrade all the way and have access to German accommodation/vitalling for most of it.
Old Aug 25th 2011, 5:31 pm
Just Joined

Europe is an unknown quantity at this point

I think its a great idea, although you might pay a considerable amount to tolls. But the countries you will see; France, Germany, Austria, perhaps a bit of Switzerland all cool !!
Old Aug 27th 2011, 6:58 am
superman2

superman2 is just really nicesuperman2 is just really nicesuperman2 is just really nicesuperman2 is just really nicesuperman2 is just really nicesuperman2 is just really nicesuperman2 is just really nicesuperman2 is just really nicesuperman2 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Margaret M
We've always found that by booking in advance the tunnel has been cheaper than the ferries. Can you take dogs (suitably passported) on that route?
I was working for a haulage company and they do deals for regular use with ferry companys so I guess the longer ferrry was less cost than the fuel to dover, so maybe the comparison with a car was poor, I can't answer your dog question but I can't see why they don't.
Old Aug 27th 2011, 9:33 am
BE Enthusiast

linseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by superman2
I was working for a haulage company and they do deals for regular use with ferry companys so I guess the longer ferrry was less cost than the fuel to dover, so maybe the comparison with a car was poor, I can't answer your dog question but I can't see why they don't.
hi superman 2 are you super man on another forum if so hi and good luck whith boat and furnature roy
Old Aug 28th 2011, 7:36 am
BE Enthusiast

nicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Sixmonths etc.
I'm driving the same way as you on 2nd September - from Canterbury to Siracusa the other side of Catania. I agree the best way to go is the Genova Palermo ferry rather than the Naples Ferry. The boats are much nicer and you save quite a few hours driving.
However it is nice to arrive in Catania in the morning rather than have to drive across Sicily at night. Getting out of Palermo can be very difficult. I have done it 5 times and lost my way every time. What Italians have told me is to follow the coast road by turning left as you leave the port and then cut across to the Messina motorway.

Could someone tell me the best route avoiding France? My girlfirend has already seen France and wants to drive another way! We would like to stop overnight in a couple of interesting places
Also none of the above answers has mentioned the one-off Swiss motorway charge!! How much is this now? Is it worth paying this for just a single journey?

BTW sixmonthsetc. What are you doing in Sicily for six months?

Last edited by nicktonight; Aug 28th 2011 at 7:49 am. Reason: grammar
Old Aug 28th 2011, 4:35 pm
Banned

6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute

Nick,

Thanks for info on Palermo - Its not a biggy getting from Palermo to Catania its a titchy island and its only going to be a couple of hours, probably just follow the crowd and find the first sign for Enna / Catania / Messina and follow that! Either route will work.

My plan is to go via Enna, but if its tricky to hit that road going along the coastal road is no probs esp as I am actually going North of Catania to Aci Trezza - at this point there is nothing to catch, no ferry to miss etc so arriving at 11pm or midnight makes little difference.

For an alternate route south avoiding France I used this website -

http://www.viamichelin.com/web/Maps

I would suggest you look at a ferry from Dover to Dunkirke - it drops you 20 miles further east and is around half the price of Dover to Calais - it also puts you on a route (According to Viamichelin) that avoids toll roads and takes you through luxebourg / switzerland etc

I am in Sicily for 8 months as I hate cold weather!

As I type this its pissing down and today in Edinburgh has been freeeeeezzzing (Considering putting the heating on and its frikkin August! - just checked its 9c RIGHT NOW versus 29c in Acireale 3ks from where I am staying, oh yes we have high winds and rain too!

I have friends in Augusta but have not yet been to Siracusa - I am sure I will though!

How long will you be there?

Kenny
Old Aug 29th 2011, 10:14 am
BE Forum Addict

ononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond repute

Ciao e buon viaggio. You can't avoid paying the one-off Swiss motorway/tunnel charge - called a 'vignette'. You buy it at the border, 40 SFR or €30 and about 5 SFR change. It is valid to 31 st. Jan of each year; for as many journeys as you like, whether one or a hundred.
If you cross to Dunkirk do Dunkirk - Brussels - Namur - Arlon - Luxembourg - Rhine Valley - Weil am Rhein - Basel - Luzern - Gothard; that way you don't touch France.
ciao for now,
'o nonno
Old Aug 29th 2011, 4:57 pm
Forum Regular

Scratcher has a reputation beyond reputeScratcher has a reputation beyond reputeScratcher has a reputation beyond reputeScratcher has a reputation beyond reputeScratcher has a reputation beyond reputeScratcher has a reputation beyond reputeScratcher has a reputation beyond reputeScratcher has a reputation beyond reputeScratcher has a reputation beyond reputeScratcher has a reputation beyond reputeScratcher has a reputation beyond repute

Nicktonight,

If you are looking for an alternative route to driving through France then you can take the ferry to Holland, drive into Germany down to Munich, then briefly through the Austrian alps, via Innsbruck and the Brenner pass and into Italy.

No tolls this way until you get to Innsbruck and into Italy, and a one off road tax payment in Austria (which IIRC can be bought weekly, monthly or yearly depending on length of stay).

There are many interesting stop over places to choose from (Amsterdam, Cologne, Munich, Innsbruck, Bologna, Genoa) depending on your preferences / timings / route.

Just some ideas for you, enjoy your trip.

Scratcher
Old Aug 29th 2011, 5:00 pm
Just Joined

IIablo is an unknown quantity at this point

You have very cheap petrol prices in Luxemburg.
Old Aug 30th 2011, 6:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Pecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to behold

OK

This might help someone

I found what I believe to be a great route!
I did look at ferries from hull and newcastle, but I am aiming for budget and the route I have is much cheaper than either involving a longer ferry - of course I spend more on fuel, but the ferry from Newcaslte to Amsterdam is £190 and the extra fuel cost is around £50

So here is my ROUTE GUIDE !

Edinburgh to Dover - taking M11 to avoid part of M25

Dover to Dunkirke - Ferry is £19 (Dover to Calais £35) tunnel £65

USING - http://www.viamichelin.com/web/Maps

VIAMICHELIN is fantastic!

A route that is shorter than Calais to Genova is mapped out - as its leaving from Dunkirke it also misses the toll roads saving around £75 total

Over night from Genova to Palermo 64 euro
Palmero to Catania

Best route - price and time

TOTAL COST INCLUSIVE of 2 ferries -

Estimated fuel at what I got on 250 mile run last week plus 10%

Edinburgh to Catania - £340
Dover to Catania £275
Dover to Palermo £245
Hi,

I am interested in any information on the 64.00 Euro Genova to Palermo. I take the car twice a year to Sicily and have never found a ferry that will take the car for that price...
Old Aug 30th 2011, 10:53 am
Banned

Depart: Fri 09 September 2011
Genoa 21:00 - Palermo 17:00 (+1 day) 20h 00m*
Lead Passenger: Mr kenneth duff (adult)
Other Passengers: None
Vehicle: Alfa Romeo 156 Saloon

Booked with DIRECT FERRIES.COM

Two ferries each day, one leaves at 9pm one leaves at 11pm - 20 hours - but saves a tonne of driving!

99 euros if two people travelling

Last edited by 6monthshere6monthsthere; Aug 30th 2011 at 10:55 am.
Old Aug 30th 2011, 4:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

nicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Kenny

Just checked yor very low price and it it correct! Sorry for doubting you; If you just sit in a pullman seat then the price is very low only 31 Euros for the car

Last edited by nicktonight; Aug 30th 2011 at 4:15 pm. Reason: Checked Kenny's info and it is correct
Old Aug 30th 2011, 4:15 pm
Banned

YEP i am sitting in the pullman seat - the trip for me is minimum miles and cost and this gets it done.

64 euros is a frikkin bargain compared to driving the length of italy and then paying to get to Messina

Oh yes, found a couple of car pooling websites - if all goes to plan the trip will end up costing me exactly 0 euros!

Last edited by 6monthshere6monthsthere; Aug 30th 2011 at 4:24 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.