Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Car Insurance & Registering a New Vehicle

Car Insurance & Registering a New Vehicle

Old Aug 2nd 2012, 6:27 am
Forum Regular

Angeldimana will become famous soon enoughAngeldimana will become famous soon enough
Default Car Insurance & Registering a New Vehicle

Hi All,

We've finally decided to sell our UK registered VW and buy an Italian reg'd 4x4.

Just a couple of queries as we've never gone through the registration process before. I know that potentially it can be a drawn out process, quite different to the UK and potentially expensive. We are resident here so that shouldn't be an issue.

1. How long does it take? Is it feasible that you can turn up at the dealers where ive seen a car, register and drive away same day?
(The car is about 2 hours drive from where i live and i'll be carless when i get there)

2. How does insurance work here? Would i have a policy that covers both me and my wife or would she have a different policy or be named driver ?? or what?

3. Will anywhere accept my full 'no claims' bonus that i have in the UK.

4. Any recommendations as who to try for insurance?

Thanks in advance!!
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 8:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Patty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car Insurance & Registering a New Vehicle

We also had a full no claims bonus when we first arrived - but it took a while to find an insurance company that would actually accept it. We went to many offices and were about to give up when we found one (Toro) that gave us a good deal. Even my hubbies old insurers didnt want to know - you'd have thought that being their customer for a few years would count ....but no.
Just to let you know - dont give up at the first six refusals
Insurance here starts at the bottom (14) and goes up to what you should be, which is 1. I think they agreed to put us at 2 and after a year we went up to 1.
Also here its the car which is insured and not the driver - so once its done you can both drive it. (in fact anyone can drive it )

As for the other thing - I bought a car last year and I couldnt drive it away the same day cos there is alot of paperwork to do - so you may have to make 2 journeys.
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 8:23 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angeldimana
Hi All,

We've finally decided to sell our UK registered VW and buy an Italian reg'd 4x4.

Just a couple of queries as we've never gone through the registration process before. I know that potentially it can be a drawn out process, quite different to the UK and potentially expensive. We are resident here so that shouldn't be an issue.

1. How long does it take? Is it feasible that you can turn up at the dealers where ive seen a car, register and drive away same day?
(The car is about 2 hours drive from where i live and i'll be carless when i get there)

2. How does insurance work here? Would i have a policy that covers both me and my wife or would she have a different policy or be named driver ?? or what?

3. Will anywhere accept my full 'no claims' bonus that i have in the UK.

4. Any recommendations as who to try for insurance?

Thanks in advance!!
We drove a car away the same day but only because the ACI office was open and not busy and the same for the insurance and we started at 9am. It took two trips with papers and stamps and insurance etc.

There was another trip to ACI about a week later to pick something up but I'm damned if I can remember what that was.
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 8:54 am
BE Forum Addict

ononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
We drove a car away the same day but only because the ACI office was open and not busy and the same for the insurance and we started at 9am. It took two trips with papers and stamps and insurance etc.

There was another trip to ACI about a week later to pick something up but I'm damned if I can remember what that was.
T that would be that other useless bit of paper called 'il certificato di proprieta' because evidently that fact that the libretto has your name and address doesn't certify that the vehicle is yours.
ciao for now,
'o nonno
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 9:05 am
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patty
Just to let you know - dont give up at the first six refusals

So true: if at first (or indeed at 6th) you don't succeed, chances are that you are somewhere in Italy
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 11:47 am
Forum Regular

Angeldimana will become famous soon enoughAngeldimana will become famous soon enough

Suppose we better start getting prepared for a load of hassle and headaches then??

I'm told that axa will accept out insurance as that who we insure with in the UK through Stuart Collins.

Once ive decided on the car i'll speak to the dealership and see if they can advise in the registration and organise it all to go through in one day.
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 12:10 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Suppose we better start getting prepared for a load of hassle and headaches then??
Yeah I am afraid so, we are not trying to be flippant but making sure you are forewarned (forewarned is forearmed and all that).

Very best of luck

Mike

Last edited by Garbatellamike; Aug 2nd 2012 at 12:11 pm. Reason: mucked up quote so it didn't appear as a quote
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 5:24 am
BE Enthusiast

nicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond repute

Finally purchased a new car here in Sicily last week - took about a week before I drove the car away! Firstly because it was impossible to buy the car on credit as "I hadn't been in Italy long enough" so I had to pay cash. Secondly insurance took a few days though I think I got a very good deal from Conte (a UK group) who were much cheaper than all the sites/companies recommended on this expat forum and gave me a price similar to the UK price. Axa told me that they don't accept other European Full claims bonuses. For Conte you need your last insurance contract with translation of the key terms (no claims = classe di merito) + certificate of sale of your last car. It took about 3 days to get insurance using email scans of my documents, though things go faster by fax.
Overall I think I got a very good deal here in Italy - I searched all over sicily for what is called a "km 0" car. These are cars that have already been registered by the dealer and are sold with a very large discount. My car had done 17 km. It really is worthwhile once you have decided what car to buy to ring up all the dealers to check what they have on offer.

Last edited by nicktonight; Aug 3rd 2012 at 5:26 am.
Old Sep 8th 2012, 7:44 am
Forum Regular

Just bought a new car and i'm trying to sort the insurance.

The car is a 2008 Great Wall Hover 4x4 worth around €7000 and ive had a quote from Italsure at $1450 USD.

Conte quoted €3500 !!!! - Surely that cannot be correct!!

I had other online quotes but the cheapest so far is around €970.

Any other ideas.
Old Sep 8th 2012, 8:02 am
BE Forum Addict

ononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond repute

Insurance quotes depend also on where you live. Here in the hinterland of Naples prices are exorbitant. For a Fiat 500 I pay 490 eurines a year; with no claims over a period of 15 years. Tried better quotes, but no go. Sorry I can't be more helpful.
Old Sep 8th 2012, 9:00 am
Forum Regular

I actually had a quote from Italsure last week for a more or less identical car. The quote was an almost acceptable $970.00 but i eventually didnt buy that car, so when i bought this one i thought the price would be around the same.

Italsure told me they had misquoted and the price was actually about 50% more!!!
Old Sep 11th 2012, 9:26 am
Forum Regular

Does anyone know if it is possible to pay car insurance monthly in Italy as you may do in the UK?

Might make it more affordable!!!
Old Sep 11th 2012, 3:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

nicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Angeldimana - amazing your quote from Conte - what insurance coverage are you asking for? I have third party coverage + Incendio furto + infortuni del conducente for a new car valued about 20,000 Euro for 1000 € which was the lowest I could get for insuring my first car in Italy in Sicily. This can be paid in two six-monthly installments.
Old Sep 13th 2012, 7:12 am
Forum Regular

Hi nick,

I asked for fully comprehensive or the equivalent of it???

Ive actually sorted it now through Clements who were the cheapest. For info, the price was about $1400 USD and they dont insist on the payment all in one go if the policy price is over $1000.
They ask for 40% up front and then 30% after 3 months and another 30% after 6 months, so its really much more affordable.
They were about the best price ive had anyway.

I had a real issue of getting AXA in Italy accepting my UK no claims. They wanted it all translating and then asked for a certificate of risk from AXA UK. Then it turned out that because in the UK i have 'car' insurance, it would be even more difficult here for them to accept it because the new car is 4x4 and classed as a 'autocarro' (commercial vehicle).

Oh well, think its sorted now and should be picking the new car up next week!!

Last edited by Angeldimana; Sep 13th 2012 at 7:15 am.
Old Sep 14th 2012, 7:46 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud of

Does anyone know if it is possible to pay car insurance monthly in Italy as you may do in the UK?

Might make it more affordable!!!
Six monthly I think .. but I never understand a damn thing about insurance. I just pay.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.