Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Canone Rai paid via your electricity bill

Canone Rai paid via your electricity bill

Old Mar 7th 2011, 2:49 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canone Rai paid via your electricity bill

Don't worry. They'll be back. Been on at us since 1988. They write to us, we write back, they write back, will tell them to sod off and they keep quiet for the next couple of years. Then they start again.

Of topic. Hubby booked a test at the hospital a couple of weeks ago and was asked a lot of questions. Hubby, who is lacking in patience, got a bit annoyed. They told him that for dearer exams they now check your entitlement and if you dr is prescibing too many exams. Not good.
Old Mar 7th 2011, 2:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Isakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pugliese
I know that a lot of Italians don't pay the canone, but if Rai was so lax in the past, they shouldn't wonder. When we moved to Milan from Germany, our furniture lorry was stopped at the border in Switzerland until we had paid the canone! Then when we bought our holiday home in my name in Gallipoli to save on the taxes (prima casa), a postcard arrived from the Rai saying I should quote the number of contract I have with them or pay for a new subscription. I quoted the Milan number and thought that was the end of the story, but then they wrote back saying I did not live there anymore (because I have my "residenza" in Gallipoli) and should pay for a new sub. At that stage I wrote back and said I do not have a TV in Gallipoli.

I don't mind paying for 1 subscription, but why should I pay for 2? My BIL has 2 houses and has never paid in his life.

Haven't heard anymore yet.
Be careful though, the Gerit might send you a letter in the future.
Old Mar 7th 2011, 3:05 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Isakat
Be careful though, the Gerit might send you a letter in the future.
Old Mar 7th 2011, 7:21 pm
Forum Regular

cosmicjunkie is a name known to allcosmicjunkie is a name known to allcosmicjunkie is a name known to allcosmicjunkie is a name known to allcosmicjunkie is a name known to allcosmicjunkie is a name known to allcosmicjunkie is a name known to allcosmicjunkie is a name known to allcosmicjunkie is a name known to allcosmicjunkie is a name known to allcosmicjunkie is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Isakat
Good idea, everyone should pay their TV licence, maybe then the trash on Italian TV can be improved?
We pay it every January even though we do not watch Italian TV.
Pffft! Mine got ripped to shreds and binned just yesterday
Old Mar 8th 2011, 7:35 am
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

Ours used to arrive in my OH's name, then we got married in 2006, and from 2007 the canone arrived in my name until this year when it reverted to OH's name, requesting her to back date the payment to the start of last year. We've never paid it.

I am assuming they got my name from the comune and sent me the bill because I'm the 'man of the house'. What is strange, that after 3 years of sending me the bill, that they gave up on me. Or perhaps they'll send a joint bill next year? But it's strange that this year's bill also includes 2010...
Old Mar 8th 2011, 9:20 am
Forum Regular

Caprihana is just really niceCaprihana is just really niceCaprihana is just really niceCaprihana is just really niceCaprihana is just really niceCaprihana is just really niceCaprihana is just really niceCaprihana is just really nice

This forum is sooo much better than the others, proper debate

We've had our first 'demand' and we're still in two minds as to what we should do. Its interesting to see that others also have the same issues.

I wouldn't mind paying if there were quality programmes, but as I don't understand most of whats going on , and everything seems to last for hours, I really cannot get 'into' it. I'm also not convinced that if everyone paid the programmes would get better, I just think someones pockets would get bigger!
Old Mar 8th 2011, 9:44 am
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

Almost 1 in 3 don't pay so you could argue that they don't get the sufficient revenue to produce the quality programmes which are required to entice more people to pay the canone. However, Rai receive advertising revenue just like Mediaset so what is this extra revenue being used for?

I simply refuse to pay it and when they start charging the canone to the electric bill, well... who needs electricty anyway!
Old Mar 8th 2011, 11:18 am
Forum Regular

ambra_wandsworth will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by duffer
I just think it's a very sneaky way to get people to pay up.

What I would like to know is if the 30% that don't pay don't pay because they try to avoid paying any taxes whenever possible or they geniunely feel its unfair to fund Rai for the service they get? Because many people are more than happy to pay Sky for their services.
I think it's 50-50.....

Almost 1 in 3 don't pay so you could argue that they don't get the sufficient revenue to produce the quality programmes which are required to entice more people to pay the canone. However, Rai receive advertising revenue just like Mediaset so what is this extra revenue being used for?

I simply refuse to pay it and when they start charging the canone to the electric bill, well... who needs electricty anyway!
Quality programmes..mmmh GEO & GEO, the only one I can think of, right now ...the money ends up in the black hole..

I do pay the canone but I'm really not happy with it...

First when I was a child there was a substantial difference in terms of advertisements between RAI and MEDIASET which I don't see now..

Second, the lack of quality of the programmes, which don't reflect the public interest..sometimes it seems that mediaset and rai are copying each other...

A public tv shouldn't have a Channel like RAI 3 too much politicizied..and turning San Remo festival into a "Festival dell' Unita" as well...
Sorry but to me National Tv should be neutral..
Although we all know what Berlusconi is ...the italian blanket is too short for both left or right politicians..they're making war each other and don't give a S**t about citizens as soon as they get a parliament chair..

Third I pay 70 euro per month to Sky...why can't we simply choose what to watch and pay for it and that's it??!

Last edited by ambra_wandsworth; Mar 8th 2011 at 11:28 am.
Old Apr 7th 2011, 12:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

pugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the rough

I know that a lot of Italians don't pay the canone, but if Rai was so lax in the past, they shouldn't wonder. When we moved to Milan from Germany, our furniture lorry was stopped at the border in Switzerland until we had paid the canone! Then when we bought our holiday home in my name in Gallipoli to save on the taxes (prima casa), a postcard arrived from the Rai saying I should quote the number of contract I have with them or pay for a new subscription. I quoted the Milan number and thought that was the end of the story, but then they wrote back saying I did not live there anymore (because I have my "residenza" in Gallipoli) and should pay for a new sub. At that stage I wrote back and said I do not have a TV in Gallipoli.

I don't mind paying for 1 subscription, but why should I pay for 2? My BIL has 2 houses and has never paid in his life.

Haven't heard anymore yet.
Latest update. Got another letter from Rai today. Due to the fact that I wrote I don't have TV in Gallipoli, they want an autocertificazione from me stating this in order to close the case. They also listed the laws I was breaking if I am not telling the truth!
Now what?
I thought I would pretend it never arrived and not answer.
Old Apr 7th 2011, 12:46 pm
Concierge

Latest update. Got another letter from Rai today. Due to the fact that I wrote I don't have TV in Gallipoli, they want an autocertificazione from me stating this in order to close the case. They also listed the laws I was breaking if I am not telling the truth!
Now what?
I thought I would pretend it never arrived and not answer.
I think I would go on to their internet site and change your address. Stamp it out and send it to them (registered post) as well in the hope that they get the message - don't hold your breath. Don't ignore in it because the Agenzia di Entrate now seems to deal with it.
Old Apr 8th 2011, 10:37 am
BE Enthusiast

jonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to behold

When I moved in with my partner 12-13 years ago I took out residenza, not as part of her nucleo familiare. I received a request for payment from Rai but after a few exchanges I convinced them that if we were in the same family nucleus then the canone was already paid, while if we were in different ones, there wasn't a TV in my part of the house/bed!

The Italians evade the TV licence as they evade all taxes, but it has worsened under Berlusconi because he would like it to be starved of funds so that it can then be dismembered and sold off to him or his friends. That in fact would be the result of privatisation because a privatised public service is a contradiction in terms. The government and its stooges in the RAI Board of Management almost invite people not to pay, by saying that there are "politicised" programmes financed by the TV licence (Annozero, BallarĂ²). For some reason they don't consider Porta a Porta to be politicised.

There's a lot of room for improvement on RAI. TG1 is practically devoid of news and is further reduced by longer weather reports and announcements about the evening's programmes. One of the worst things they did in the past was give the three channels to the DC, PSI and PCI with the pretext of achieving a political balance, but the parties simply used their control to give jobs to their friends. The different channels should be used to achieve a balance in content and programme type.

But there are two things I do like: Montalbano (just finished, unfortunately) and the 24-hour RaiNews channel (both digital and satellite).

By the way, we've just unsubscribed from SKY, it wasn't worth it for the kind of things we wanted. We've still got the decoder and the satellite dish, so we can still watch the non-Sky channels.
Old Jul 14th 2011, 3:37 pm
Forum Regular

Caprihana is just really niceCaprihana is just really niceCaprihana is just really niceCaprihana is just really niceCaprihana is just really niceCaprihana is just really niceCaprihana is just really niceCaprihana is just really nice

Originally Posted by Caprihana
This forum is sooo much better than the others, proper debate

We've had our first 'demand' and we're still in two minds as to what we should do. Its interesting to see that others also have the same issues.

I wouldn't mind paying if there were quality programmes, but as I don't understand most of whats going on , and everything seems to last for hours, I really cannot get 'into' it. I'm also not convinced that if everyone paid the programmes would get better, I just think someones pockets would get bigger!
I replied to this post back in March, seems like years ago, but any how...

Since our initial letter, we had another in June, and have received yet another demand today. Is anyone else getting this many? Are they starting to tighen up at last?

I did write to them in English with our first demand, no response of course, but wondering that they may be running out of money and so starting to pursue residents without licences.
Old Jul 14th 2011, 4:34 pm
Pull my finger

Out of curiousity what did you write?
Old Jul 16th 2011, 4:54 pm
Forum Regular

Out of curiousity what did you write?
Why, do you know what works?
Old Jul 17th 2011, 3:52 pm
Pull my finger

No I don't. I just wanted to know what you could possibly write? e.g. No Canone Rai please, we're British!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.