Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Canadian moving for boyfriend- advice please?!

Canadian moving for boyfriend- advice please?!

Old Nov 3rd 2010, 2:36 am
Forum Regular

sunnyjt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Canadian moving for boyfriend- advice please?!

Hey guys,

I know that this clearly says "British Expats" forum and I am a Canadian, but I am not having much luck with my dilemma, so am hoping someone will take pity on me and help me if you can.

Short story- I'm in love and moving to Italy to be with my fiance, although no date has been set yet for the wedding- we're thinking in about a year. My partner, God bless him, assures me that I can stay in Italy on a tourist visa for a period of 90 days. He then says I just need to leave for a few days and come back, which is simple enough being in Europe. I guess we'll do this a few times til we get hitched.

However, I am worried about this plan. Surely to God the Immigration people are going to look at me continually coming in and out of Italy and wonder what the hell I am really doing? I am flying in on a 1-way ticket, although we do have a holiday booked for Egypt within the 3 months so I can always show them that exit strategy (should they ask for it).

I have looked and looked and there seems to be no de facto visa type, so we get married or I keep having to leave. I just want to plan a nice wedding and don't want to rush things- but is it realistic to think Immigration will let me leave and re-enter all the time?

I know I won't be able to work, which doesn't worry us- I was only planning on doing Italian language classes anyway. I was thinking after I could get my CELTA and teach English (I have a bachelors and Masters degree, not that this really helps me as a teacher).

The other thing is health care- I guess I would have to take out a lotta travel insurance. UGH.

Are we both being stupid to think we can live this way for 9 months-1 year? Does anyone have any suggestions/advice/other ways of doing this that I haven't thought of? Are you all sitting here reading this thinking, "this girl is thick!"

Thanks for listening guys
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 8:12 am
BE Enthusiast

gelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud of
Default Re: Canadian moving for boyfriend- advice please?!

Hi - I'm Australian and I was in your position 6 years ago. I'm sorry to tell you this but your boyfriend is completely wrong about the visa situation. You can automatically get a 90 day tourist visa through the visa waiver program when you enter the Schengen countries (of which Italy is one) but after the 90 days are up you need to leave the entire Schengen region (which includes most of Europe including Italy) for 90 days and you can only re-enter after being out of the region for 90 days. On top of that you CANNOT legally work in Italy on a tourist visa. I'm not sure about the healthcare situation. I know that you'd be covered for any emergency situation in the ER while here on a toursit visa but if you needed routine medical care you'd probably need to pay privately out of pocket (or get travel insurance as you say).

I strongly advise you to either a) enter Italy on a student visa (of course you'll have to enrol in a bona fide course somewhere) which will entitle you to work a certain number of hours per week, b) get married earlier than planned or c) investigate getting a Working Holiday Visa if you meet the requirements. Actually a fourth option might be for your boyfriend to go and live in Canada with you if Canada has some kind of de facto visa (Australia does I know) and he qualifies. BTW- why are you moving to Italy rather than him moving to Canada? I assume you must have good reasons (we did) but you need to understand that life here can be very tough and salaries are extremely low. I know quite a few foreign wives of Italian men who've ended up in very difficult situations here.

I'm now married to my then boyfriend and we have a 2 year old. I managed to find a decent job against all odds after working is some really crappy ones at first. I ended up not having to worry about visas as my father is from another EU country and I qualified for citizenship of that country and am therefore able to live in Italy with no hassles. Do you have any parents or grandparents from Europe? If so, citizenship in that EU country might be something to investigate as European citizens can live and work in other EU countries.

Good luck!!!

Last edited by gelato; Nov 3rd 2010 at 8:18 am.
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 8:35 am
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunnyjt
Hey guys,

I know that this clearly says "British Expats" forum and I am a Canadian, but I am not having much luck with my dilemma, so am hoping someone will take pity on me and help me if you can.

Short story- I'm in love and moving to Italy to be with my fiance, although no date has been set yet for the wedding- we're thinking in about a year. My partner, God bless him, assures me that I can stay in Italy on a tourist visa for a period of 90 days. He then says I just need to leave for a few days and come back, which is simple enough being in Europe. I guess we'll do this a few times til we get hitched.

However, I am worried about this plan. Surely to God the Immigration people are going to look at me continually coming in and out of Italy and wonder what the hell I am really doing? I am flying in on a 1-way ticket, although we do have a holiday booked for Egypt within the 3 months so I can always show them that exit strategy (should they ask for it).

I have looked and looked and there seems to be no de facto visa type, so we get married or I keep having to leave. I just want to plan a nice wedding and don't want to rush things- but is it realistic to think Immigration will let me leave and re-enter all the time?

I know I won't be able to work, which doesn't worry us- I was only planning on doing Italian language classes anyway. I was thinking after I could get my CELTA and teach English (I have a bachelors and Masters degree, not that this really helps me as a teacher).

The other thing is health care- I guess I would have to take out a lotta travel insurance. UGH.

Are we both being stupid to think we can live this way for 9 months-1 year? Does anyone have any suggestions/advice/other ways of doing this that I haven't thought of? Are you all sitting here reading this thinking, "this girl is thick!"

Thanks for listening guys
change boyfriend
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 8:40 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

Everything gelato says is true. You have to completely leave the Schengen countries for 90 days before you can return. I suspect you could go to the UK for 90 days rather than back to Canada (I'm guessing there is some kind of visa-waiver between UK and Canada but you would need to check and what the time limit on it is). You can't nip to London for 3 days and then come back to Italy..So as you suspected it isn't as easy as you thought.
Old Nov 4th 2010, 3:56 am
Forum Regular

Hey guys,

Thanks for the advice (well, not for the person who told me to "change boyfriends", that was lame).

Gelato/Testa- we're going to live in Italy because, frankly, my partner can provide an excellent quality of life for us there- he owns a successful company. I was looking at getting a WHV but I don't think I qualify because I've been living in your native land (yay Australia!) for the past 4.5 years, not Canada. I guess I can try to get a student visa, do you know if this is a lengthy process? I'll try to do some research on here about it, nothing worse than someone asking you a question that has already been posted on the board!

I love my man, but he has this really laid back attitude and assures me that "in Italy, there are always solutions to any problem". He seems to have a lot of "friends" that can get things happening...

Thanks again so much, it's an exciting time but daunting as well!

xx
Old Nov 4th 2010, 7:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Mr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really nice

I agree with Duffer 100%
Old Nov 4th 2010, 7:19 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

If you can prove you have 'independent means' you can get a long term Schengen visa as a 'tourist' and then you're fine for up to a year. It doesnt cover you for working but it will not require you to keeping nipping in and out. HOwever, you must get it before you leave Canada.
Old Nov 4th 2010, 7:42 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by modicasa
If you can prove you have 'independent means' you can get a long term Schengen visa as a 'tourist' and then you're fine for up to a year. It doesnt cover you for working but it will not require you to keeping nipping in and out. HOwever, you must get it before you leave Canada.
She's not in Canada though. She's in Australia.

Sunnyjt - please don't mind Duffer and Mr Posh. They are our forum clowns but they are supposed to be nice to newbies until people get to know their quirky and sometimes sarcastic humour - take note boys and be nice!
Old Nov 4th 2010, 9:17 am
BE Enthusiast

gelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by sunnyjt
Hey guys,
I love my man, but he has this really laid back attitude and assures me that "in Italy, there are always solutions to any problem". He seems to have a lot of "friends" that can get things happening...
That sounds a bit shady... No offense to your boyfriend but who are these 'friends'?
Old Nov 4th 2010, 9:22 am
Forum Regular

Smile Re: Canadian moving for boyfriend- advice please?!

Originally Posted by gelato
That sounds a bit shady... No offense to your boyfriend but who are these 'friends'?
Ha ha ha, I know, it does sound super shady- I just meant that he has friends that work in the police department (which, as far as I can see, is not the Immigration department!) and he was going to call him tomorrow to discuss, because I freaked out on him and told him that we can't just nip in and out every three months.

This is stressful! Dammit, I wish I had an EU passport.

Lorna- thanks for your kind message
Old Nov 4th 2010, 1:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
She's not in Canada though. She's in Australia.

Sunnyjt - please don't mind Duffer and Mr Posh. They are our forum clowns but they are supposed to be nice to newbies until people get to know their quirky and sometimes sarcastic humour - take note boys and be nice!
Lol slap that wrist.
Old Nov 4th 2010, 1:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

LivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the rough

Could you get married just to get the piece of paper and then have a big do next year?
I have a NZ friend here. Her husband is working here for three years but when she went back to visit her parents the only way she could get back into Italy was if she was married to him.
Old Nov 4th 2010, 1:30 pm
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pecora Nera
Lol slap that wrist.
I was hoping she got the whip out
Old Nov 4th 2010, 2:14 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pecora Nera
Lol slap that wrist.
Stop stirring or you'll end up on my whipping list too - bad boy.
Old Nov 4th 2010, 7:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by duffer
I was hoping she got the whip out
looks like your wish has come true

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.