Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Buying a second hand car in Italy

Buying a second hand car in Italy

Old Feb 15th 2008, 1:04 pm
Just Joined

Bib Taylor is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Buying a second hand car in Italy

Can anyone please help with this problem?
We have read the various posts about buying a second hand car in Italy but none fit our circumstances.
Our problem is that we are not Italian residents. We are British citizens who are resident in Malta but keep a boat in a marina in Italy for 12 months of the year.
We want to buy a car in Italy and use it for approx 3 months each year, while we are using the boat.
We don't know where to start to obtain advice and hope that someone on this forum can point us in the right direction.
The stumbling block seems to be our non-residency. Has anyone any experience of using a marina address as a residency?
Here's hoping
Old Feb 15th 2008, 4:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Margaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying a second hand car in Italy

Originally Posted by Bib Taylor
We have read the various posts about buying a second hand car in Italy but none fit our circumstances.
Our problem is that we are not Italian residents. We are British citizens who are resident in Malta but keep a boat in a marina in Italy for 12 months of the year.
We want to buy a car in Italy and use it for approx 3 months each year, while we are using the boat.
We don't know where to start to obtain advice and hope that someone on this forum can point us in the right direction.
The stumbling block seems to be our non-residency. Has anyone any experience of using a marina address as a residency?
Here's hoping
I bought a second hand car here within 2 weeks of arriving - long before getting residency. It always seems to be who you know as much if not more than what you know.
Old Feb 16th 2008, 4:05 pm
Just Joined

Loreto is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Margaret M
I bought a second hand car here within 2 weeks of arriving - long before getting residency. It always seems to be who you know as much if not more than what you know.
Margaret is right, it is not what you know but who. I also know people who have had to rent a car for months because they could not buy one.

I wonder if it is easier to buy a second hand one without residency than a new one!!!

Sorry I can't help more.
Old Feb 16th 2008, 7:06 pm
Just Joined

Here's hoping

Many thanks for the reply. It certainly gives us some hope. Another question - After managing to buy the car, how were you able to legally insure it?
Old Feb 16th 2008, 7:10 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Loreto
Margaret is right, it is not what you know but who. I also know people who have had to rent a car for months because they could not buy one.

I wonder if it is easier to buy a second hand one without residency than a new one!!!

Sorry I can't help more.
Thanks Loreto. It's great that there is a way around the system. The car rental prices where we are (just south of Venice) are very high, compared to the rest of Europe,which is why we're wanting to buy. Did you have any trouble in obtaining insurance?
Old Feb 16th 2008, 7:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Margaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks for the reply. It certainly gives us some hope. Another question - After managing to buy the car, how were you able to legally insure it?
Agent took us to an insurance broker. Like I say, more who you know, and more importantly who they know. Our agents family originated from here, and it seems half the town are his cousins, so maybe that helps.
Old Feb 17th 2008, 3:44 pm
Just Joined

Loreto is an unknown quantity at this point

Italsure insure expats cars, very competitive prices and a very friendly service. You can get a quote on line, but in my experience I would ring them afterwards as it is likely the chap (Oliver) can reduce it. It didn't work out a lot more than what I was paying in the UK, perhaps about £100, but that's all and very good for Italy, give them a try. I think the website is www.italsure.com, or something similar!

Bets of luck
Old Feb 18th 2008, 6:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Loreto
Italsure insure expats cars, very competitive prices and a very friendly service. You can get a quote on line, but in my experience I would ring them afterwards as it is likely the chap (Oliver) can reduce it. It didn't work out a lot more than what I was paying in the UK, perhaps about £100, but that's all and very good for Italy, give them a try. I think the website is www.italsure.com, or something similar!

Bets of luck
That is right. First time round I had to get the insurance same time as the car. This year I have insured it with Italsure for about 1/3 the price.