British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Italy (https://britishexpats.com/forum/italy-77/)
-   -   Buying on Calabria East Coast (https://britishexpats.com/forum/italy-77/buying-calabria-east-coast-638713/)

damatt Nov 2nd 2009 7:06 pm

Buying on Calabria East Coast

Hi,

I have recently sold my holiday home in Spain after 3 years and now looking at buying in Calabria on the East Coast overlooking the Ionian Sea in a place called Amendolara Paese.

Does anyone know of it,
do you have any comments on the place and the area

I have looked in many places to see if there are other advertising in this area, but nothing comes to light, so, am I in early before the rush of the Brits moving from Spain or is it just not the place to be.

Please discuss

PAT M Nov 3rd 2009 9:04 am

Re: Buying on Calabria East Coast

Sorry I don't know but I have been leafing through my book about retiring to Italy and the section on Calabria talks about a British couple who have bought property there and run an advice service called calabrianholidays.co.uk. I have to say when they are asked about Italian bureaucracy they say "in the south, you have Italian bureaucracy, only slower". I would do lots of research tbh. If property there is so cheap there must be a reason.

damatt Nov 3rd 2009 3:03 pm

Hi Pat,

Red tape is the same all over Europe, though in some places it is thicker. My only thought about them being so cheap is that there is not a lot of development, at present, I understand that there is going to be a new airport not far from Cosenza and from what I saw when I flew into Bari, the new motorway from Bari down the east coast is progressing.

So, is I am early into the area, so money can be made in the medium term, say 5 years. There is plenty property on the West Coast, but that is close to the airports.

Just a thought, more investigation required before the prices rocket, knowing my luck.

Dave

37100 Nov 3rd 2009 3:12 pm

Don't hold you're breath while waiting for the completion of public infrastructures in Italy.:(

jeff46 Nov 4th 2009 11:11 am

Suggest you check out the incalabria.com website.

There's loads of usefull info in the forum on there. We completed on a small apartment at Isca Marina this week and,apart from the original site being moved because the developer didn't have planning permission and sacking our Solicitors because they were incompetant at best,crooked at worst,everything wnt reasonably well. ;)

Jeff

Lorna at Vicenza Nov 4th 2009 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by jeff46 (Post 8070161)
Suggest you check out the incalabria.com website.

There's loads of usefull info in the forum on there. We completed on a small apartment at Isca Marina this week and,apart from the original site being moved because the developer didn't have planning permission and sacking our Solicitors because they were incompetant at best,crooked at worst,everything wnt reasonably well. ;)

Jeff

That sounds like just the right kind of attitude to get on with things here ......

the building plot got moved and the solicitors got fired - but it all went pretty much ok :rofl::rofl:

Congrats on your new place.