Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

But what do the Italians think of Brexit?

But what do the Italians think of Brexit?

Old Jun 26th 2016, 9:47 am
Forum Regular

Seldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond repute
Default But what do the Italians think of Brexit?

A fair number of us have been posting about Brexit but I thought it might be interesting to hear from the other side. I have just been down to the florist and she thinks we have done the right thing. She reckons Italy has been going down the toilet since the introduction of the Euro and is now so deep in debt that they are basically servants to the Germans. She also added a great deal about the corrupt political class lining their own pockets. Only one point of view. Another acquaintance is furious with us but he is a young lawyer desperate to get on to the EU gravy train that he now fears will be shrinking. Anyone else had thoughts expressed to them?
Old Jun 26th 2016, 10:33 am
Forum Regular

currentaffairs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: But what do the Italians think of Brexit?

People in the cafes seem unsure.. Not heard strong views either way yet.
Old Jun 26th 2016, 11:26 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seldomseenkid
A fair number of us have been posting about Brexit but I thought it might be interesting to hear from the other side. I have just been down to the florist and she thinks we have done the right thing. She reckons Italy has been going down the toilet since the introduction of the Euro and is now so deep in debt that they are basically servants to the Germans. She also added a great deal about the corrupt political class lining their own pockets. Only one point of view. Another acquaintance is furious with us but he is a young lawyer desperate to get on to the EU gravy train that he now fears will be shrinking. Anyone else had thoughts expressed to them?
That's really rich, coming from Italy which has had a biggest number of corrupt ploiticians running the country. There aren't that many countries that have had PMs resigning because of illegal activities.
Old Jun 26th 2016, 11:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Margaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
That's really rich, coming from Italy which has had a biggest number of corrupt ploiticians running the country. There aren't that many countries that have had PMs resigning because of illegal activities.
I read it as she was talking about Italian politicians.
Old Jun 26th 2016, 1:36 pm
Forum Regular

Seldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Mike

Sorry if that was unclear. Margaret is right she was talking about Italy at that stage.
Old Jun 26th 2016, 3:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

sunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond repute

Great thread start seldomseen. I look forward to reading more. I could add a few but will have to do severe editing"cutting - some of the parties may see this board. Mike lincs - i think you need to cut down your number of posts, speed of reading. It was perfectly clear who the corrupt being referred to were.
Old Jun 27th 2016, 5:00 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

Where I am most would vote to stay in Europe but vote to leave the Euro.
Old Jun 27th 2016, 6:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Margaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by modicasa
Where I am most would vote to stay in Europe but vote to leave the Euro.
I think the same would happen here.
Old Jun 28th 2016, 7:23 pm
Forum Regular

Donna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond repute

Fortunately they can't put a decision of that magnitude to the popular vote.
Old Jun 29th 2016, 4:59 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

At the moment. But the 5 stelle have promised a referendum adn the right is pressing for a change to the constitution
Old Jun 29th 2016, 10:02 am
BE Enthusiast

clint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really nice

Originally Posted by modicasa
At the moment. But the 5 stelle have promised a referendum adn the right is pressing for a change to the constitution
5 stelle have made it clear that the referendum they want is not to be in or out of Europe but to ditch the Euro.

A refendum consultativo (rather than a referendum abrogativo) can still take place but it is just that consultativo ie parliament doesn't have to act on the result

As an italian personally I think this referendum has just been a shamble hijacked by the Britain first etc brigades. If the main aim was to get out of the EU and then trade with EU with no string attached well it was never going to happen was it.

All the people I speak to nobody wants to leave the EU but they complain about the silly EU rules and that the Euro is to blame for people being worse off financiall

Result of the UK referendum for us, my husband will be, in the not so distant future, an extra comunitatio and I will have to go through the aggro of transcribing my UK marriage in Italy joy (not)

Last edited by clint; Jun 29th 2016 at 10:22 am.
Old Jun 29th 2016, 10:19 am
BE Enthusiast

jonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to behold

Corrupt politicians... but they're all corrupt, on both sides of the pro- and anti-euro divide in Italy. I hate the politicians of the PD-NCD coalition, who live in a world of inflated salaries, auto blu, vitalizi etc. and act as if everyone was as well off as they are, but I also hate to see people being hoodwinked by the likes of Salvini and Meloni, who are in no way superior... anzi!
Old Jun 30th 2016, 7:35 pm
Forum Regular

JD1963 is an unknown quantity at this point

No opinions from those Italians around me, like perfect passive drones serving a Euro corporate hegemony. Completely clueless, those in power need 'em like that!
Old Jul 2nd 2016, 6:15 am
BE Forum Addict

ononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JD1963
No opinions from those Italians around me, like perfect passive drones serving a Euro corporate hegemony. Completely clueless, those in power need 'em like that!
Of course thay do; mention 'brexit' round here and folk think you are talking about some new kind of breakfast cereal - 'oh yes! tried it but prefer kaylogs.'
Old Jul 2nd 2016, 3:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ononno
Of course thay do; mention 'brexit' round here and folk think you are talking about some new kind of breakfast cereal - 'oh yes! tried it but prefer kaylogs.'
Very appropriate! And in a similar vein, those newspaper editors and politicians who spun a whole lot of BS should now be doing 'porridge'.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.