Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

British world war 11 veterans memorial return

British world war 11 veterans memorial return

Old Aug 24th 2011, 7:47 am
Just Joined

john.babbage is an unknown quantity at this point
Default British world war 11 veterans memorial return

I have the honor soon to be helping put together a return visit for WW11 British army vets to Italy. This will be a very poignant return and for many probably due to age, the last time. Obviously the boys are not exactly awash with cash, many are in the late 80's and live alone on modest pensions. The tour will of course focus mainly on Mote Cassino scenes of some of the most ferosciuos battles in WW11.

I am seeking people who may be able to give up some free time to assist. Mainly in the role of acting as guide. Offer advice on hotels and transport arrangements- mini buses etc. The UK Embassy may help but who knows. The visit may also be on BBC TV.

I can promise a free beer or two, and photos shoots with the Vets, and signed autographs,and the vets eternal gratitude.

Regards

John
Old Aug 24th 2011, 8:26 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British world war 11 veterans memorial return

Hello John,

I just wanted to say welcme to the forum and good luck with your honourable project. I'd happily help out if I were closer but I'm miles away from Montecassino.
Many of our members are away on holiday so stick around for a while.

If you have any other questons or questions about the forum, don't hesitate to ask.

Lorna
Old Aug 24th 2011, 11:10 am
Forum Regular

edmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by john.babbage
I have the honor soon to be helping put together a return visit for WW11 British army vets to Italy. This will be a very poignant return and for many probably due to age, the last time. Obviously the boys are not exactly awash with cash, many are in the late 80's and live alone on modest pensions. The tour will of course focus mainly on Mote Cassino scenes of some of the most ferosciuos battles in WW11.
World War 11...all due respect, it's called WWII !!
Old Aug 24th 2011, 11:32 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Wish I could help, but I'm in Verona. My uncle, in the Black Watch, died near Rimini aged just 17 and is buried in Gradara War Cemetery.
Old Aug 24th 2011, 11:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Mr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really nice

Originally Posted by edmontron
World War 11...all due respect, it's called WWII !!

You are a right RICHARD CRANIUM edmontron...the guy is doing something great and you pick up on a little thing like ww11.....WHAT HELP are you offering hahahahah FA i bet just pick......

PS: john, I have sent you a PM might help....
Old Aug 24th 2011, 11:59 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mr Posh
You are a right RICHARD CRANIUM edmontron...the guy is doing something great and you pick up on a little thing like ww11.....WHAT HELP are you offering hahahahah FA i bet just pick......

Hey Mr Posh - he won't be able to get your PM until he has made three posts - that's the rule for new members, to avoid people joining up just to scam the whole site and its members.
Old Aug 24th 2011, 12:39 pm
superman2

superman2 is just really nicesuperman2 is just really nicesuperman2 is just really nicesuperman2 is just really nicesuperman2 is just really nicesuperman2 is just really nicesuperman2 is just really nicesuperman2 is just really nicesuperman2 is just really nice

I wouldn't mind helping out but need some dates and what exactly is involved and where
Old Aug 24th 2011, 12:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really nice

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Hey Mr Posh - he won't be able to get your PM until he has made three posts - that's the rule for new members, to avoid people joining up just to scam the whole site and its members.

Lorna, I am a Patacca as we say in Cesena......

Hello John

My Brother in the UK owns a Travel Agency and is also a tour operator doing ONLY Italy: It is called Typically Italian...I am sure that he will help you to find the right deals.

If you make 3 post I will PM you his number
Old Aug 24th 2011, 1:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Isakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond repute

We have recently visited Monte Cassino. We took MIL with us and upon her return back to the UK she told her neighbours about her trip and visiting the Polish Cemetery.

It transpired that her neighbour was one of the British soldiers who incessantly bombed the Germans in the monastery-a small world.

It is touching and humbling looking at the white marble headstones of the Poles who died there. The kids enjoyed this history lesson.

One thing we thought lacking was the lack of any posters with the pictures of what the monastery looked like in the war around the restored one.
I can not help personally, but if you give us some dates, maybe we can find someone who can.
Old Aug 24th 2011, 8:37 pm
Just Joined

VicAnnells is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all. Not sure what help is needed and being based in Milan not sure what help I can give but if you or the administrator would like to get in touch we can discuss it.
We do get involved in a number of these type of things and I am very proud to host the Rememberance Service in Milan in November, so there may be something we can do. Unfortunately there is not much in the way of financial support as we regain control in the UK of the budget deficit but perhaps there are other things we can do to help such a worthy project.

Vic Annells
HM Consul General
Milan

My email is +++++++++ deleted

Last edited by Lorna at Vicenza; Aug 25th 2011 at 6:36 am.
Old Aug 24th 2011, 9:12 pm

[QUOTE=VicAnnells;9579999]Hi all. Not sure what help is needed and being based in Milan not sure what help I can give but if you or the administrator would like to get in touch we can discuss it.
We do get involved in a number of these type of things and I am very proud to host the Rememberance Service in Milan in November, so there may be something we can do. Unfortunately there is not much in the way of financial support as we regain control in the UK of the budget deficit but perhaps there are other things we can do to help such a worthy project.

Vic Annells
HM Consul General
Milan

My email is [++++++++++ deleted
Hello and thank you for posting.

I'm sure any help you and your colleagues can give will be much appreciated.

However, as moderator of this forum, I have to ask you. Would you like to keep your email details on here open to the whole world? Or would you like me to delete them and any persons wishing to contact you can do so using the Private Message service (once you've made 3 posts) or by using the in house email forwarding service (if you have left this option open)?

Last edited by Lorna at Vicenza; Aug 25th 2011 at 6:36 am.
Old Aug 25th 2011, 4:57 am
Just Joined

Morning Vic,

Nice to hear from you and very kind of you to take the trouble.

Regards

John
Old Aug 25th 2011, 5:14 am
Just Joined

Good morning to you. Thanks very much for your response. I am new to all this stuff and hope I can pick up ok on your reply. Providing an e mail is deemed inapporpriate I am told.
Old Aug 25th 2011, 5:16 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Isakat
We have recently visited Monte Cassino. We took MIL with us and upon her return back to the UK she told her neighbours about her trip and visiting the Polish Cemetery.

It transpired that her neighbour was one of the British soldiers who incessantly bombed the Germans in the monastery-a small world.

It is touching and humbling looking at the white marble headstones of the Poles who died there. The kids enjoyed this history lesson.

One thing we thought lacking was the lack of any posters with the pictures of what the monastery looked like in the war around the restored one.
I can not help personally, but if you give us some dates, maybe we can find someone who can.
Thanks fro your reply and "moving account" of your experiences.We are aiming for the middle of October. Love to hear from you.
Old Aug 25th 2011, 5:17 am
Just Joined

Lorna, I am a Patacca as we say in Cesena......

Hello John

My Brother in the UK owns a Travel Agency and is also a tour operator doing ONLY Italy: It is called Typically Italian...I am sure that he will help you to find the right deals.

If you make 3 post I will PM you his number
Very kind of you and thanks a lot

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.