Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

British Passport

British Passport

Old Jan 30th 2009, 11:39 am
Just Joined

lex369 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default British Passport

I have a question. I live in Italy with my italian partner and our son. I want to get his british passport sorted out. Does anyone know if it is possible to apply for his passport in the UK and get it sent to a UK address, rather than wait to get it sorted out in Rome which is miles away from where I live.

Thanks
Old Jan 30th 2009, 11:42 am
Not Dun Roaming Just Yet

Kenny and Moe has a brilliant futureKenny and Moe has a brilliant futureKenny and Moe has a brilliant futureKenny and Moe has a brilliant futureKenny and Moe has a brilliant futureKenny and Moe has a brilliant future
Default Re: British Passport

Are you renewing a passport or making an initial application?
Old Jan 30th 2009, 1:04 pm
Just Joined

It's a first passport for my 5 month old.
Old Jan 30th 2009, 1:05 pm
Just Joined

Just in case it wasn't clear I am British.
Old Jan 30th 2009, 1:08 pm
Forum Regular

davidpayne is a jewel in the roughdavidpayne is a jewel in the roughdavidpayne is a jewel in the roughdavidpayne is a jewel in the roughdavidpayne is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by lex369
I have a question. I live in Italy with my italian partner and our son. I want to get his british passport sorted out. Does anyone know if it is possible to apply for his passport in the UK and get it sent to a UK address, rather than wait to get it sorted out in Rome which is miles away from where I live.

Thanks
Yes you can, we did it, sent forms back with a friend to the UK they received the passport and another friend bought it back over...
Old Jan 30th 2009, 1:13 pm
Just Joined

That's great, thanks. I was wondering if you might know the answer to this one. My partner is legally separated from his wife, although he isn't divorced yet would the passport office still require a copy of those docs to prove he is separated or would it not matter at all if I don't declare that information.

Sorry if I am asking all this but all the rules for the passport application are so long winded. If you don't know don't worry. Many thanks.
Old Jan 30th 2009, 1:21 pm
Forum Regular

davidpayne is a jewel in the roughdavidpayne is a jewel in the roughdavidpayne is a jewel in the roughdavidpayne is a jewel in the roughdavidpayne is a jewel in the rough

That's great, thanks. I was wondering if you might know the answer to this one. My partner is legally separated from his wife, although he isn't divorced yet would the passport office still require a copy of those docs to prove he is separated or would it not matter at all if I don't declare that information.

Sorry if I am asking all this but all the rules for the passport application are so long winded. If you don't know don't worry. Many thanks.
Not sure. if uo goto the British Embassy's website (rome) they will tell you what docs you need.

Good Luck
Old Jan 30th 2009, 1:26 pm
Just Joined

Thanks anyway. Appreciated.
Old Jan 30th 2009, 2:57 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

There is already lots of info about this on the thread

"baby's British citizenship"

but read this link too .............

You can apply for a child's passport as a British mother and you don't nned to give any details about your partner or his past relationship.
As far as the offices in question are concerned your child is illegitimate and therefore onyl the mother's consent and signature is needed.

P.S. Wasn't being rude or anythign about the illegitimacy. Legally my two kids are illegitimate too.
Old Jan 30th 2009, 2:58 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

forgot the link ...........

http://www.fco.gov.uk/resources/en/p...ortformc2notes
Old Jan 30th 2009, 4:36 pm
Forum Regular

nbrome is an unknown quantity at this point

I know lots of people who get the passport by post, I think it costs less too.
But am I wrong in thinking that technically it's not allowed? Isn't there a bit where you have to sign to say you are actually in the country of application?
Old Jan 30th 2009, 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by nbrome
I know lots of people who get the passport by post, I think it costs less too.
But am I wrong in thinking that technically it's not allowed? Isn't there a bit where you have to sign to say you are actually in the country of application?
Yes there is - the child must be in the country of application.

It clearly states it on form C2.

And the OP wouldn't actually need to travel to Rome to get a British passport for her child. They actually do work by post.
Old Jan 31st 2009, 12:04 pm
Just Joined

Thanks, I have read those notes but different people tell you many different things. It's just that someone told me that because I am not married to the father of our baby that we would have to go to Rome and he would have to sign the paternity docs. I have never heard that before and I haven't seen that written anywhere.
Old Jan 31st 2009, 2:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

LivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the rough

You have to go to the embassy or a consulate if you want a British Birth Certificate and you aren't married. My children are also technically illegitimate and I got their passports from Rome via the post using their Italian birth certificates

Last edited by LivingHere; Jan 31st 2009 at 2:15 pm. Reason: Spelling
Old Jan 31st 2009, 2:32 pm

Thanks, I have read those notes but different people tell you many different things. It's just that someone told me that because I am not married to the father of our baby that we would have to go to Rome and he would have to sign the paternity docs. I have never heard that before and I haven't seen that written anywhere.
You and / or the father needn't go to Rome at all for a British passport.

If you want an Italian identity card for travel in Europe for your child and you want to be able to travel alone with your child then the father will have to go to the comune and sign the application form.

My partner has done this. On the back of the kids' cards it says
"can travel with father Massimo ............ and / or mother Lorna ........"

If you want to get one of these whilst you sort out the passport they cost a few cents and you get them quickly. You'll need 2 passport sized photos of the child and both parents will need to have their identity card or passport with them for a photocopy.

I got a new one for my son in December. It took two weeks but that's because the little comune here only makes a trip to the Questura once a week. One week they took the application and photos - the next week they brought back the identity card and I picked it up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.