Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

bringing a car to Italy

bringing a car to Italy

Old Dec 29th 2009, 5:04 pm
Forum Regular

asik is just really niceasik is just really niceasik is just really niceasik is just really niceasik is just really niceasik is just really niceasik is just really niceasik is just really niceasik is just really nice
Default bringing a car to Italy

Hi all, after reading the thread on buying a car in Italy I decided to look into buying a car (with the left side wheel) some place else in Europe and bringing it to Italy. I have a vague recollection of reading something about it on the forum but cannot find the thread now. Any thoughts or links on that?
Old Dec 29th 2009, 5:25 pm
Forum Regular

johnnyj is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: bringing a car to Italy

That's what I'm doing, the cars on order & should be delivered around the end of Feb. I will run it in this country for 6-7 months before moving over - that's the plan anyway!
Old Dec 29th 2009, 6:50 pm
Forum Regular

asik is just really niceasik is just really niceasik is just really niceasik is just really niceasik is just really niceasik is just really niceasik is just really niceasik is just really niceasik is just really nice

Originally Posted by johnnyj
That's what I'm doing, the cars on order & should be delivered around the end of Feb. I will run it in this country for 6-7 months before moving over - that's the plan anyway!
Where are you ordering your car from, johnnyj?
It seems like a reasonable enough options, although, I would like to know what tax etc. apply for imported cars there in Italy
Old Dec 30th 2009, 9:18 am
Forum Regular

The cars ordered direct from a main dealer, new car - factory build. The cost of second hand cars in Italy is so expensive, no import tax from the U.K, you just need to have had the car for more than six months before bringing over. You do have to then register the car in Italy, at a cost - this has been discussed in a previous thread.
Old Dec 30th 2009, 6:04 pm
Forum Regular

SaddleTramp is an unknown quantity at this point

The cars ordered direct from a main dealer, new car - factory build. The cost of second hand cars in Italy is so expensive, no import tax from the U.K, you just need to have had the car for more than six months before bringing over. You do have to then register the car in Italy, at a cost - this has been discussed in a previous thread.
Where?
Old Dec 31st 2009, 5:02 pm
Forum Regular

I'ts mentioned in the thread "UK road tax in Italy" on page 2.
Old Jan 1st 2010, 6:43 pm
Forum Regular

no import tax from the U.K, you just need to have had the car for more than six months before bringing over. You do have to then register the car in Italy, at a cost - this has been discussed in a previous thread.
Would anyone know if the same applies if I bring a car from another EU country? Is the 'no import tax' regime only for cars from the UK?
Old Jan 5th 2010, 9:08 am
Forum Regular

Nuvoletta is an unknown quantity at this point

http://www.homeoflhd.com/?gclid=CISb...FQeQzAodUyHj3w

Try these guys, depends on your budget of course, also look on www.pistonheads.com there is a left hand drive section in the advertisement section.
Old Jan 15th 2010, 10:09 am
Just Joined

DorothyW is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: bringing a car to Italy

Hi Folks

Related subject
We drove over from UK 6 months ago and have now decided to take up residency so want to officially import our car
Anyone done this and what's involved? Don't know where to start
There was a thread on this a couple of years ago but nothing recent
It would be cheaper than having to buy another car as it's a good reliable car
Our Italian is pretty nursery level which doesn't help
Thanks
Old Jan 15th 2010, 11:03 am
Gio
BE Enthusiast

Location: London. and visiting Italy when the Parmesan runs out!
Gio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud of

You know I still have my car, brought from U.K. when we moved here 3 years ago and still have it registered in the U.K. Seeing as I have to go to U.K I have it MOTeed there every year.
Old Jan 15th 2010, 12:11 pm
Just Joined

DorothyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Do you not have a problem with Insurance? I suppose I'm being cautious

From what I have heard from folk, returning to UK to get car taxed and MOT'd seems to be pretty common but I keep being told by my Italian son in law that it is against the law to drive on foreign plates after 6 months in this country,it's making me nervous!
Knowing my luck I'd probably get stopped by the carabanieri
Old Jan 16th 2010, 1:52 pm
Just Joined

tonyntasha is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by asik
Hi all, after reading the thread on buying a car in Italy I decided to look into buying a car (with the left side wheel) some place else in Europe and bringing it to Italy. I have a vague recollection of reading something about it on the forum but cannot find the thread now. Any thoughts or links on that?
Hi, we came to Italy 2 years ago with our LH drive ford which we bought in the uk from LH drive centre...great service by the way! it was registered in the uk and remained registered for the first 5 months, after this time we thought we had better register it in Italy as it has been rightly pointed out after 6 months it is required by law! it isactually a simple process...relatively speaking for those of you who have been here sometime will know nothing is particularly easy in Italy especially where governent departments are concerned!
Step 1. find your local DMV office....not sure what the initials stand for!
Step2. he fills in the documentation and takes copies of your documents and sends them off to the regional registratio office along with a technical description normally obtained from the manufacturer for a price.
This step can take anywhere up to 6 months or more, however the agent told me that the police were relatively relaxed about it as long as you have started the process.
Step 3. Once you have the registration docs back and your plates you can then insure the car, for which it is advisable to have a signed letter with the company stamp and a signature {not the usuall computer generated confirmation letter} confirming your no claims bonus!
Step 4. You then need to take your registraion and insurance to the ACI and pay your Bollo..bit like car tax for the year, mine on a Ford Smax 2 ltr is about Euro 300 per year, Insurance is about Euro 1000 per year with 4 years no claims however it reduces every accident free year to about 50%.
The cost of the registration was about Euro 900 this included import tax,IVA{like VAT} and tech description and plates.
In summary......easier and probably as cheap to buy a cheap second hand car here in Italy!!
Hope this helps
Old Jan 16th 2010, 4:50 pm
Forum Regular

SaddleTramp is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tonyntasha
Hi, we came to Italy 2 years ago with our LH drive ford which we bought in the uk from LH drive centre...great service by the way! it was registered in the uk and remained registered for the first 5 months, after this time we thought we had better register it in Italy as it has been rightly pointed out after 6 months it is required by law! it isactually a simple process...relatively speaking for those of you who have been here sometime will know nothing is particularly easy in Italy especially where governent departments are concerned!
Step 1. find your local DMV office....not sure what the initials stand for!
Step2. he fills in the documentation and takes copies of your documents and sends them off to the regional registratio office along with a technical description normally obtained from the manufacturer for a price.
This step can take anywhere up to 6 months or more, however the agent told me that the police were relatively relaxed about it as long as you have started the process.
Step 3. Once you have the registration docs back and your plates you can then insure the car, for which it is advisable to have a signed letter with the company stamp and a signature {not the usuall computer generated confirmation letter} confirming your no claims bonus!
Step 4. You then need to take your registraion and insurance to the ACI and pay your Bollo..bit like car tax for the year, mine on a Ford Smax 2 ltr is about Euro 300 per year, Insurance is about Euro 1000 per year with 4 years no claims however it reduces every accident free year to about 50%.
The cost of the registration was about Euro 900 this included import tax,IVA{like VAT} and tech description and plates.
In summary......easier and probably as cheap to buy a cheap second hand car here in Italy!!
Hope this helps
To hell wi all that crap, I'm going back to the UK...
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 12:28 pm
Forum Regular

lindaf is an unknown quantity at this point

My UK car insurance covers me to use the car for 3 months abroad. If I bring my car over here for the summer I don't need any additional insurance do I?
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 12:49 pm
Banned

Paul.Redmond is an unknown quantity at this point

Should be OK as long as your UK insurer is aware. To be on the safe side, I would call them before you set off.

Strictly speaking you can drive a UK registered car here for 6 months although in reality, I have known people here keep a non Italian car
for much longer. If you intend to live in Italy at one fixed location for more than 6 months with a non Italian car it could be a problem, particularly
becuase as a Non Italian you will be noticed