"Brexit"

Old Jun 18th 2016, 12:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Brexit"

If Britain leaves then France, under Le Pen, will leave also.
Then Britain and France will form a free trade area - a common market. Others, such as Spain, will follow.

Common Market - Good
Ever Closer Union - Bad.

Britain should never have agreed to the 1992 Maastricht Treaty. Blame John Major for that blunder.
Old Jun 18th 2016, 1:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to all

Originally Posted by sunnysider
Thanks britinparis for the thoughtful answer and thanks sancho for sorting the link.
Don't mention it. You'd somehow got a space between the url= bit and the url you wanted to point us to. I expect you suddenly choked on a bit of peanut or something.

Here are some press articles I've bookmarked. Mostly from the Guardian - it seems to be one of the only two serious online newspapers left, at least that isn't behind a paywall - and mostly about the social situation in the UK.

Brexit supporters have unleashed furies even they can’t control | Polly Toynbee | Opinion | The Guardian

Britain is in the midst of a working-class revolt | John Harris | Opinion | The Guardian

The Politics of Hate « LRB blog

For what it's worth, I think Cameron ("heir to Blair") may be even worse than Blair himself, who was just as bad as Thatcher.
Old Jun 18th 2016, 6:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by holly_1948
If Britain leaves then France, under Le Pen, will leave also.
Under Le Pen (but with a huge if), the FN claim they will rapidly dump the Euro and create a new Franc - but imho that would be a crazy move, as transport, commodities, indeed the price of everything would increase, as it always has done with a major change of currency.
As for them wanting France to leave the EU, in reality I can't see that happening. There certainly wouldn't be a referendum, and even if a bill was forced, it would no doubt create massive demonstrations which would make the current labour reform nation-wide protests, look like a minor tiff between infants.

Then Britain and France will form a free trade area - a common market.
If this happens - I'll knit my own beret, and wear it in bed!

Others, such as Spain, will follow.
Methinks they'd be worse off in the long run without an EU 'umbrella' to keep them covered.

Common Market - Good
Ever Closer Union - Bad.

Britain should never have agreed to the 1992 Maastricht Treaty. Blame John Major for that blunder.
TP
Old Jun 20th 2016, 7:45 am
BE Enthusiast

sunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sancho
For what it's worth, I think Cameron ("heir to Blair") may be even worse than Blair himself, who was just as bad as Thatcher.
Worth a lot sancho. I found it interesting/profoundly depressing that the period of blair's long pomp and triumph coincided with the widespread apparent acceptability of that awful word "chav", very often used by folk you would have thought enlightened liberal left. Agree totally that cameron learned so much from blair.

Thanks for the links - read the first two - both very good articles - interesting that the Harris article ended with that great quote from Gramsci, quoted so often of course with reference to recent italian affairs as well.
Old Jun 20th 2016, 11:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Capo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond repute

There's been a huge rebound in 'Remain' over the weekend and continuing this morning. Probability of Remain vote winning is currently standing at 78%.
Old Jun 20th 2016, 10:00 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Capo Boi
There's been a huge rebound in 'Remain' over the weekend and continuing this morning. Probability of Remain vote winning is currently standing at 78%.
I wouldn't describe a couple of percentage points as huge. Still within the margin of error which means the polls are still tied. I suspect it will come down to which side bothers to get out and vote (and whether we will have more torrential rain on Thursday).
Old Jun 20th 2016, 10:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Capo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond repute

Of your 5184 posts how many do you think have given an added value to anyone?
Old Jun 20th 2016, 10:43 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I would suggest a good 5184.
Old Jun 20th 2016, 11:03 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Old Jun 21st 2016, 5:32 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

Why Italy’s economy is about to collapse | Voices | The Independent

I scour the ITalian press daily - but it rigorously refuses to reproduce any article such as the above. There is no Italian economist which does not have his head firmly in the sand - and that worries me more than the BRexit.
Old Jun 21st 2016, 6:56 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Er..100%.
Old Jun 21st 2016, 7:28 am
Forum Regular

Seldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond repute

I have a house here in Italy and my UK house is rented to a Spanish family. More than most you would expect me to be a 'remainer', but I still think we should leave. The thought of Turkey in the EU fills me with foreboding and the lack of democratic accountability is just appalling. Yes we are part of Europe but we do not have to be part of the EU.
Old Jun 21st 2016, 7:35 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seldomseenkid
I have a house here in Italy and my UK house is rented to a Spanish family. More than most you would expect me to be a 'remainer', but I still think we should leave. The thought of Turkey in the EU fills me with foreboding and the lack of democratic accountability is just appalling. Yes we are part of Europe but we do not have to be part of the EU.
Despite what the British press would have us believe, Turkey is a long, long way off from becoming a member.
Old Jun 21st 2016, 7:49 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by modicasa
Why Italy’s economy is about to collapse | Voices | The Independent

I scour the ITalian press daily - but it rigorously refuses to reproduce any article such as the above. There is no Italian economist which does not have his head firmly in the sand - and that worries me more than the BRexit.

Don't worry. M5S to the rescue.
Old Jun 21st 2016, 8:18 am
Forum Regular

Seldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond repute

Despite what the British press would have us believe, Turkey is a long, long way off from becoming a member.

I wish that were true and yet I hear that visa free travel is to be granted to a country that has land borders with Iraq, Iran and Syria.
I voted 'in' at the last referendum on economic grounds, but even then I had misgivings. I wish I had listened to that little voice that said 'there is more to this than they are telling you.'

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.