Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Bollo from the Tobacconist!!

Bollo from the Tobacconist!!

Old Feb 15th 2008, 7:04 am
Forum Regular

ginty is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Bollo from the Tobacconist!!

Originally Posted by Margaret M
We don't have a Tessera Sanitaria, we have a Libretto Sanitaria, which I gather covers us for healthcare in Italy, but maybe not in EU. We did go to the local Azienda Sanitaria, again with our agent. All we took was our little slip saying we had applied for Residency, our Passports, and our Codice Fiscale. We were immediately registered with a Doctor and given the Libretti.

I do have the paperwork from DHSS for the type of card we should have, but haven't sent it back yet. Must contact them for help filling it in.

Hubby has 4 years to go to state pension, and I have about 6 (I think) with the new phasing in changes.

The same lady who accepted our EHIC insisted a few days earlier that our friends took out private insurance. Think it is a case of who you know, like most things here.

Am I correct in thinking once we are resident we are entitled to health care anyway, without private medical insurance, in which case why don't people take out the insurance, get the residency, then cancel the insurance - or am I missing something?
Hi Margaret
You mentioned having a form from the DHSS. Do you mind telling me what form it is coz it's probably the same form that we need to fill in! We haven't told the DHSS that we've moved yet because we haven't sold our house, so we thought that we'd tell them when it's sold, as until then, we appear i suppose, like being on an extended holiday here. At least, that's how we see it! I wonder if we should have told them anyway. Oops!
Have you sold your house or are you renting it out? We did toy with that idea but then decided to sell instead.
Old Feb 15th 2008, 7:18 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by TestaRossa
Ginty - you've been told the same as us and yes you can go to SAI, Generali, INA etc. for private health ins. which I believe is about a 10th of what you would pay through BUPA but accepted by the ASL/town hall. Sounds like you have still got further than me though - basically Florence won't even start to process without PHI, which is why I'm still non-resident! I have also been told you have to get the highest level of cover for it to be acceptable. Your proof of income can be a bank statement, which if it has your house sale in will almost certainly be enough for their needs. I think you need to prove income of about €30,000/year for a family. I'm assuming you will make more than this on your house!!

Margaret - I "believe" that once you have the PHI this then covers any use you make of the ASL - so instead of National Ins. paying your insurance company does - your GP, hospital etc. makes all their claims for payment through your PHI, so even though you appear to be covered by the Italian Health system, you aren't without your PHI, so if you cancel it after getting your card, you can't use the system as you have to have the ins. even if you are prepared to pay out of pocket yourself. Does this make sense? I have also heard that once you have residency and you have paid into a scheme for a year you can then sign up for the free service, but not sure if this is an urban myth! When did you start applying for residency? Was it before last Feb? Having said that the Consul here thought that an EHIC should be enough as well and they believe it is actually against EU rules to make us take out PHI but there is nothing they can do. There is residency and residency - it will probably flag somewhere on your card or something that you need PHI if you are elective.
Hi TestaRossa
One problem we have is that we haven't got a bank statement with substantial funds to show them yet as our house only went on the market in January. We "sold" it last August, but then the first part of the chain broke down, tut, so we had to put the house back on the market. 5 months OFF the market!! So now we're back to square 1, plus this time of year is never a good time to sell, so God knows when we can show them a statement worth looking at! haha
I'm wondering if we should go back to the Town Hall and show them our EHIC cards, because I agree with your Consul! It's not fair is it? I'm sure that if Europeans go to live in England, they qualify for free treatment. It's not stipulated that they have to have private insurance! Actually, I think that rule applies to ALL nationalities, not just Europeans!
Are you in the process of selling property? How long have you been trying to sort this lot out? Are you retired or like us "retired" coz we've had enough of working? haha
Old Feb 15th 2008, 8:14 am
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Margaret M
We started applying for Residency last July. I have and Identity Card, a bank account as a Resident, and the Libretta Sanitaria with no expiry date, and they have registered me with a doctor. I guess I will have to wait and see what happens if or when I need the doctor. As far as I can see it is the same card Italians have. It just shows name, date of birth, place of birth etc.
Seriously, it sounds like you got lucky knowing someone that knows the system. I have a friend here whose husband was working for the Uni. of Florence - even with her husband paying into the system her card was only valid for 6 months at a time and when she went to renew they wouldn't for various reasons - can't remember what! So if you have one without an expiry date I would just thank your stars! Another friend whose husband is Italian has to renew every year, and is now having problems since the law changes too.
Old Feb 15th 2008, 9:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Margaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ginty
Hi Margaret
You mentioned having a form from the DHSS. Do you mind telling me what form it is coz it's probably the same form that we need to fill in! We haven't told the DHSS that we've moved yet because we haven't sold our house, so we thought that we'd tell them when it's sold, as until then, we appear i suppose, like being on an extended holiday here. At least, that's how we see it! I wonder if we should have told them anyway. Oops!
Have you sold your house or are you renting it out? We did toy with that idea but then decided to sell instead.
The form we have is an E106. To be honest I don't understand any of it. We have my mother living here with us, and with her being a pensioner already she is always entitled, but I don't even want togo there just yet. What have you been doing about heathcare up to now?

When was the last time you made any NI contributions in the UK, because this also affects your entitlement?

We have just sold a property we own in the UK, but not our main residence, as our son is living there. I am now trying to come to grips with Capital Gains Tax.

We also have a small income from property we own in the UK, and I have been trying to understand the tax implications of this. Get this one - "where you received rental income direct from the tenant, the tenant first deducted tax at the basic rate and paid it to the Inland Revenue" - yeah right, can just see the tenants doing that!
Old Feb 15th 2008, 9:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Margaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond repute

Seriously, it sounds like you got lucky knowing someone that knows the system. I have a friend here whose husband was working for the Uni. of Florence - even with her husband paying into the system her card was only valid for 6 months at a time and when she went to renew they wouldn't for various reasons - can't remember what! So if you have one without an expiry date I would just thank your stars! Another friend whose husband is Italian has to renew every year, and is now having problems since the law changes too.
That may be true here, but what if we now go back to the UK for a holiday, do we have health cover there, and if we now fill in this E106, will they then take away what we have? Nightmare.
Old Feb 15th 2008, 2:42 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm, it really is a minefield isn't it? All because of Eastern Bloc countries coming into the EU.

Ginty, my husband is self-employed so that is what we live off and because his job takes him all over the UK it didn't really matter that we lived in the UK anymore. We don't have property in the UK and haven't for about 8 years now. We may well buy something here in a year or two.

Margaret if you get the Italian equivalent of an EHIC then you just take out travel insurance when you visit the UK, I guess through an Italian ins. company.

Most of my delay is down to laziness and not enough confidence in my language skills. I've just renewed my lease though so I am going to use that to sort out my residency. Other than not being able to buy a second hand car and having to pay full price for health care it hasn't really stopped me doing anything. I even have a residents bank account!!
Old Feb 15th 2008, 3:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Other than not being able to buy a second hand car and having to pay full price for health care it hasn't really stopped me doing anything. I even have a residents bank account!!
I bought a second hand car within 2 weeks of arriving here.
Old Feb 16th 2008, 3:49 pm
The Original Red Head!

How?!!
Old Feb 16th 2008, 4:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Went with our agent to the local garage, showed them our "compromesso" and my Codice Fiscale and that was it. Even got Italian insurance at the same time. I think things are a lot more laid back down here in the south.
Old Feb 16th 2008, 9:13 pm
The Original Red Head!

I think it's also who you know. Our agent introduced us to his bank manager and we have a resident's account and credit cards without residency!
Old Feb 17th 2008, 7:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Margaret if you get the Italian equivalent of an EHIC then you just take out travel insurance when you visit the UK, I guess through an Italian ins. company.
But to get the Italian equivalent of the EHIC I think I have to have Private Health Insurance
Old Feb 17th 2008, 8:24 am
The Original Red Head!

You shouldn't - if you have cover from the Italian Health system you should jus be able to fill in a form with all your ASL info and get one.
Old Feb 17th 2008, 8:50 am
BE Enthusiast

You shouldn't - if you have cover from the Italian Health system you should jus be able to fill in a form with all your ASL info and get one.
So I should just be able to take my Libretto Sanitaria?
Old Feb 17th 2008, 2:11 pm
The Original Red Head!

I "believe" so. I would check with someone that has done it.
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 11:33 am
Forum Regular

Hmm, it really is a minefield isn't it? All because of Eastern Bloc countries coming into the EU.

Ginty, my husband is self-employed so that is what we live off and because his job takes him all over the UK it didn't really matter that we lived in the UK anymore. We don't have property in the UK and haven't for about 8 years now. We may well buy something here in a year or two.

Most of my delay is down to laziness and not enough confidence in my language skills. I've just renewed my lease though so I am going to use that to sort out my residency. Other than not being able to buy a second hand car and having to pay full price for health care it hasn't really stopped me doing anything. I even have a residents bank account!!
Hi TestaRossa and Margaret M
I agree it really is a minefield and there still seems to be different rules depending who you know are where you are!
We are having to get private health insurance here in calabria before we are allowed a resident's certificate, infact, we're going to pay him later today, so hopefully tomorrow we'll return to the Town Hall complete with whatever document he gives us, and should then come away from the Town Hall knowing that soon we'll be residents! I'll keep you informed though coz anything could happen, haha! To be honest we've not yet tried to open a bank account or buy a car yet (we drove ours here as we brought our dog with us), so I don't know if we would have been able to do so without a residents cert or not, but then again everything I've read and verbally heard is "you have to have a residents cert"!
We last paid NHS contributions last August. Fortunately, we haven't needed health care but I suppose we would have had to pay up front if we had needed to visit the doctor!
We haven't finished with England yet as our house is up for sale, so I was thinking that until we definitely leave we could still attend our doctors and dentist when back in England (if we needed to)! It's all SO mind boggling isn't it? haha

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.