Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

BBC Radio 3: Opera Highlights (Berlusconi's 'I Prostituti-Frutti')

BBC Radio 3: Opera Highlights (Berlusconi's 'I Prostituti-Frutti')

Old Aug 18th 2009, 11:33 am
BE Enthusiast

chris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nice
Default BBC Radio 3: Opera Highlights (Berlusconi's 'I Prostituti-Frutti')

GlacierAct One

The curtain rises on the Robber Baron's lavishly furnished boudoir. Above the bed is a large gilt mirror. Photographs of the Robber Baron, accompanied by world leaders, decorate the walls.

Silvio is amorously engaged with the celebrated courtesan Rumpina Pumpina. She sings to him the moving aria Mille e Tre (I'm yours for 1003 euros, plus VAT).

The Baron touchingly responds It's a deal.

Rumpina urges Silvio to speak up and address his love-talk to her handbag, which she has strategically placed under the pillow.

Act One closes as Rumpina disrobes, while Silvio admires himself in the mirror and sings Non sono Santo (I'm not a saint).

Act Two

It is the morning of the next day. A jubilant Rumpina, clutching her handbag, visits the offices of the newspaper Il Nusi di Scuzi. We see her handing a small tape recorder to the editor, while she sings the traditional Venetian folk song 'Just one million euro, give it to me, delicious money from Italy'.

The editor, Signor Filthio, is only too happy to oblige and hands Rumpina a bag of gold ducats. He sings triumphantly Bastardo Finito (We've got the bastard at last).

Act Three

A square in Rome, the Piazza Margarita. The citizens are besieging the news kiosk for copies of Il Nusi di Scuzi.

From an upper window, the Baron looks down with trepidation, afraid that his reputation will soon be in tatters. He curses the treacherous Rumpina, singing La slagga e Mobile (The crafty bitch recorded me on her mobile).

But his anxiety turns to joy when he sees the male citizens saluting him with many a crude gesture, as they sing the rousing final chorus Que Macho Stallione, praising the 72-year-old Baron's virility and prowess.

Silvio descends to the street where he is carried shoulder high to a nearby bordello, where he is greeted as an old friend by a chorus of courtesans who sing Cosi Fan Prostituti (We love you, Silvio, just like the men do!).

Act Four

Silvio elected for a fourth term.