Reload this Page >

Australian looking to buy in Cianciana

Australian looking to buy in Cianciana

Old Dec 6th 2010, 10:06 am
Just Joined

jaigalliott is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Australian looking to buy in Cianciana

Hi all,

I'm an Aussie looking to buy an inexpensive property in Cianciana. I have already been in contact with one agent from www.propertiesinsicily.com. I have done so much reading online about the pitfalls of buying old property in need of renovation, but I was hoping to get some realistic feedback from a fellow English speaking Commonwealth citizen!

Is there anyone living in Cianciana, or renovating property there? I'd love to find out more about purchasing a property before making the trip to Italy (airfares from Australia are expensive). I'd also be interested to find out about the renovating process, including finding the services of a Geometra and getting local council approval for external renovations. I hope to buy a property for under 15,000 Euro, hopefully one that doesn't need any serious structural work to the foundations or anything like that. I am happy to chip away at walls, repair doors and windows, rewire, re-plumb, and do some minor carpentry, along with the usual painting and kitchen & bathroom renovations. I'm pretty handy and would like to do as much as I can myself to minimise costs, i've done plenty renovations before in Australia.

In any case, i'm rambling. Would love to get your thoughts. Please feel free to respond here or send me a private message. I hope to head over to Cianciana in the next few months, so it would also be great to meet up with anybody living over there.

Many thanks in advance,

Jai.
Old Dec 7th 2010, 12:59 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australian looking to buy in Cianciana

Hi Jai and welcome to British expats in Italy forum! Doesn't look like there is anyone with any advice for you right now, but someone may still come along. Hopefully someone has PM'd you as requested - although we find it more useful for the info to be put on here for other in the same situation, all we ask is that personal info and anything that could be seen as advertising is kept out of the threads. Anyway, have a look around and if you need anything just give me or one of our lovely mods, Lorna and Mitzyboy, a shout!
Old Dec 7th 2010, 2:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

MyHouse is a legal and registered FIAIP agency, and are reliable and trustworthy. One of the few in south Sicily!
The only thing I would tell you to bear in mind, is that whatever your restoration estimate, add at least 30% for 'surprises'.

Good luck
Old Dec 8th 2010, 1:54 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by TestaRossa
Hi Jai and welcome to British expats in Italy forum! Doesn't look like there is anyone with any advice for you right now, but someone may still come along. Hopefully someone has PM'd you as requested - although we find it more useful for the info to be put on here for other in the same situation, all we ask is that personal info and anything that could be seen as advertising is kept out of the threads. Anyway, have a look around and if you need anything just give me or one of our lovely mods, Lorna and Mitzyboy, a shout!
Thanks so much TestaRossa.

Unfortunately, you're right, I haven't had a great response as of yet.

Perhaps someone could tell me about their experiences renovating cheap properties in other parts of Italy? I'd be particularly interested in the general costs associated with hiring a Geometra and the relevant tradespeople, and getting the necessary permissions.

Cheers.
Old Dec 8th 2010, 9:47 am
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jaigalliott
Thanks so much TestaRossa.

Unfortunately, you're right, I haven't had a great response as of yet.

Perhaps someone could tell me about their experiences renovating cheap properties in other parts of Italy? I'd be particularly interested in the general costs associated with hiring a Geometra and the relevant tradespeople, and getting the necessary permissions.

Cheers.
Have a search see if you can find anything relating to this - if you can't just start a new thread of a more general nature - I know we have peeps Puglia way that have renovated. HTH
Old Dec 10th 2010, 5:29 am
Just Joined

alicelisle is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry no advice, but I am an Aussie too
Old Dec 11th 2010, 1:33 pm
Forum Regular

MrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond repute

There seem have been many properties for sale there for at least over a year (afaik). Some of them get taken off the for sale listings so presume they are sold - but not sure who to. A lot of those houses are made from a rock beginning with Tartu.... or similar, aren't they? Not sure what that means structurally and building insurance-wise etc.

Presume you have tried googling for hours trying to find a forum link to the village?

I can you tell it is rare to find others on the net discussing budget end re-sale properties in southern Italy. Perhaps you ought to start a forum specificially for that - maybe that is the problem - there is not an obvious place to post such questions.

Mrs T
Old Dec 12th 2010, 5:19 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by MrsTeapot
There seem have been many properties for sale there for at least over a year (afaik). Some of them get taken off the for sale listings so presume they are sold - but not sure who to. A lot of those houses are made from a rock beginning with Tartu.... or similar, aren't they? Not sure what that means structurally and building insurance-wise etc.

Presume you have tried googling for hours trying to find a forum link to the village?

I can you tell it is rare to find others on the net discussing budget end re-sale properties in southern Italy. Perhaps you ought to start a forum specificially for that - maybe that is the problem - there is not an obvious place to post such questions.

Mrs T
Thanks Mrs T. You're right, i've searched for ages, no substantial links. That would be a great idea, if one had the time.
Old Dec 29th 2010, 8:23 am
Just Joined

Modena360 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Jai, Just came across this forum and read post. I'm UK based with Sicilian parents, wife etc but just finished renovating in Cianciana. Process relatively easy, although can be a case of who you know etc. Although my purchase was private, would definitely recommend MyHouse!, know lots of people who have used them and they have a Geometra too. Very happy to discuss my experience, feel free to PM with any questions. Ciao.
Old Dec 29th 2010, 9:17 am
Forum Regular

MrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond repute

Modena360,

Forgive me for being synical but I've seen these sorts of 1 post only replies on other forums and it always turns out to be someone connected to the company they are trying to promote.

If you are genuine then I apologise, its just I've witnessed this quite a few times. If you are genuine then I welcome you whilst hiding behind the sofa.

Am currently reading the Inspector Montalbano series (great read - set in Sicily) and as well as having digs at the corruption of the mafia the author constantly digs about illegal housing builds (which I was aware about) and the dodgy things people do with regard to property and the collusion amongst so many different types of trade in relation to property. Granted its a fictional series but from googling the author it seems he likes to have a pop at these types of things that happen in reality.
Old Dec 29th 2010, 9:35 am
Just Joined

Hi Mrs Teapot,

Thanks for your reply.

Can make it very clear that I have nothing to do with property services...selling, renovating etc just love the place. Can see why you felt this might be the case, but just trying to be honest, no offence taken though, just trying to be helpful...
Old Dec 29th 2010, 10:14 am
Forum Regular

Ah, thanks for replying and clarifying the situation.

Glad you didn't take my Miss Marple suspicions badly.

Welcome to the forum.
Old Dec 29th 2010, 10:19 am
Just Joined

Not at all Mrs T! thanks for the welcome.
Old Dec 29th 2010, 8:56 pm
Forum Regular

dido2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Jaigalliott, I have been researching & looking for the right property for some time now & believe me you never stop learning about this process. Not sure of your intentions given the cost of airfares are you moving to Sicily or is it to be a holiday home? A couple of things come to mind straight the way= you say you can rewire & do plumbing work but unless you are qualified / registered it will be illegal & the geometra will not be able to sign the work off. Have you actually been to Sicily & Cianciana because i wonder what you will be able to buy for eu,15000 not forgetting the cost of purchase taxes etc, If you want any further help don't hesitate to mail me & do look back at the threads on this site the info is invaluable. One last thing, when you pop over try to call in on England & take a look at the ashes cos it looks like its going to be your last chance for some time, LOL, cheers dido2
Old Dec 30th 2010, 12:00 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dido2
Hello Jaigalliott, I have been researching & looking for the right property for some time now & believe me you never stop learning about this process. Not sure of your intentions given the cost of airfares are you moving to Sicily or is it to be a holiday home? A couple of things come to mind straight the way= you say you can rewire & do plumbing work but unless you are qualified / registered it will be illegal & the geometra will not be able to sign the work off. Have you actually been to Sicily & Cianciana because i wonder what you will be able to buy for eu,15000 not forgetting the cost of purchase taxes etc, If you want any further help don't hesitate to mail me & do look back at the threads on this site the info is invaluable. One last thing, when you pop over try to call in on England & take a look at the ashes cos it looks like its going to be your last chance for some time, LOL, cheers dido2
Hi Dido2,

Thanks for the reality check. I have come to realise that even though one can much of the work, there's no point in doing it because it won't be signed off. It's a real shame, it makes things so much more difficult for a non-Italian speaker (or should I say more expensive, or both).

I've had a look around at the different properties available, and for the 15-20K mark, there isn't much around. They all need renovation of some sort. If these properties were located in Australia, it'd be no problem, people could go about doing the work without all the bureaucracy and extra costs. I was planning on flying over to drive around and take a look at the different communes, but I'm starting to think that with all the work that would need to be certified, and the rip-offs that would probably take place, it may be worthwhile looking at somewhere like France where things aren't quite as bad. I hope Italy realises that they are restricting foreign investment in their lovely country!

RE: the cricket - we're taking it easy you poms!

Cheers,

Jai.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.