British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Italy (https://britishexpats.com/forum/italy-77/)
-   -   Which aspects of living here make you happy and which ones drive you potty? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/italy-77/aspects-living-here-make-you-happy-ones-drive-you-potty-639087/)

37100 Nov 11th 2009 10:15 am

Re: Which aspects of living here make you happy and which ones drive you potty?

And you can deduct 55% of the installation costs of solar panels from your tax return.:thumbup:

casalottian Nov 11th 2009 10:47 am

Originally Posted by 37100 (Post 8089772)
And you can deduct 55% of the installation costs of solar panels from your tax return.:thumbup:

Is that for both electrical solar panels and the hot water solar panels?

37100 Nov 11th 2009 10:57 am

Originally Posted by casalottian (Post 8089832)
Is that for both electrical solar panels and the hot water solar panels?

If my mine hasn't gone completely, it's for hot water. A major cost in our household of 4 adults. We need a new roof (also deductable in some case) which is why we were looking into 55%.

davehornet6 Nov 11th 2009 11:06 am

Originally Posted by 37100 (Post 8089772)

wow :eek: they really could pay for themselves in 10 months there !!
thanks for that the cogs are turning overtime now.
i could get paid for living in italy :rofl::thumbsup::rofl:

37100 Nov 11th 2009 11:40 am

Originally Posted by davehornet6 (Post 8089874)
wow :eek: they really could pay for themselves in 10 months there !!
thanks for that the cogs are turning overtime now.
i could get paid for living in italy :rofl::thumbsup::rofl:

Don't get too excited until you see the paper work involved. (we -or rather oh's family- did the 55% for the new windows:eek:). And you can only deduct up to the amount of taxes you pay here.

PAT M Nov 11th 2009 1:18 pm

We looked into a scheme for solar energy, we would have had to put up 25k euro and any surplus energy over a 3 year period went back to the energy company and nothing to us. TBH honest I can't remember all the details but we decided against it and have Metano gas instead.

Lorna at Vicenza Nov 11th 2009 4:08 pm

Just bought a big Pandoro for less than 2 Euro. Now that's a cheap cake. The kids can take a lump of it each for school merenda tomorrow and I know OH dunks it in his morning coffee before going to work.

davehornet6 Nov 12th 2009 12:15 am

Originally Posted by 37100 (Post 8089942)
Don't get too excited until you see the paper work involved. (we -or rather oh's family- did the 55% for the new windows:eek:). And you can only deduct up to the amount of taxes you pay here.

darn beurocracy (and spelling;)) still if i can find a property with no electric connected it would probably work out cheaper in the long run to have solar.
how much do people pay for thier electric on average for a year.
at the moment in the u.k we are paying about £650/year for 3 adults

37100 Nov 12th 2009 7:39 am

For 4 adults we spend on average €200 p.m. on electricity €80 water and €80/100 on gas plus a further €1,500 last season on heating. We're over heated, but that's because most of the tenants are over 80. We could reduce by at least a third. This year we've dug our heels in and had it lowered, but I don't know how long that will last. Our heating comes of the town's heating system. Our friends who have individual heating, spend around the same.

davehornet6 Nov 12th 2009 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by 37100 (Post 8092632)
For 4 adults we spend on average €200 p.m. on electricity €80 water and €80/100 on gas plus a further €1,500 last season on heating. We're over heated, but that's because most of the tenants are over 80. We could reduce by at least a third. This year we've dug our heels in and had it lowered, but I don't know how long that will last. Our heating comes of the town's heating system. Our friends who have individual heating, spend around the same.

wow i thought u.k was expensive, during winter our gas is £70/month, without the central heating on in the summer its about £30. water is £35/month.
so i need to look for a property with a stream (free water), a large wooded area(open fires) and in a sunny position(solar)and near a reasonable town.
easy peasy :unsure::unsure:

Lorna at Vicenza Nov 12th 2009 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by davehornet6 (Post 8093238)
wow i thought u.k was expensive, during winter our gas is £70/month, without the central heating on in the summer its about £30. water is £35/month.
so i need to look for a property with a stream (free water), a large wooded area(open fires) and in a sunny position(solar)and near a reasonable town.
easy peasy :unsure::unsure:

Water prices can differ as I have never paid more than 300 euro in one year.
This old place is on a meter (everybody is in my area) and I suppose I use loads of water what with four people to keep clean - bodies and clothes, and the dishwasher.
Gas seems to be expensive all over Italy - and very expensive too.

37100 Nov 12th 2009 1:48 pm

Yeah, water prices differ a lot. The cause of mine are our son's long, long showers and all the washing. I forgot the €125 p.a. rubbish bill. Oh and the €18 p.m. parking permit.:( Got back to find the heating turned up again.:curse:

davehornet6 Nov 12th 2009 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by 37100 (Post 8093524)
Yeah, water prices differ a lot. The cause of mine are our son's long, long showers and all the washing. I forgot the €125 p.a. rubbish bill. Oh and the €18 p.m. parking permit.:( Got back to find the heating turned up again.:curse:

i suppose its all a bit swings and roundabouts really
our council tax bill is £1296 which includes the rubbish, and house prices are stupid in windsor area.:eek: to buy our pretty small 3 bed housing association house would be around £310,000

Gio Nov 13th 2009 6:10 am

I spend €480 per annum on electricity, I cook by gas bombola and use 3 a year=€60, we have 2 wood burning stoves for winter and we use 3-4 loads per season costing us €160 per load. I don't pay ICI cos we are resident, water bill for the year was €112 and that was using it for the orto...so I think for me it's a darn site cheaper here than the UK.:thumbup:

SaddleTramp Nov 13th 2009 7:16 am

Well for the moment, it's getting things moving...Everything is "no problem"!!

Until I want it to happen....I guess it's the same back in Scotland, well, out in the sticks anyway...

So, I'm going to get a small house to rent, very cheap, what do I need after, and where do I get it?...I.E water, gas, electricity, rates/C Tax (equivalent) etc...

Oh, it has an open fire in kitchen and loads of wood everywhere...