Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Which aspects of living here make you happy and which ones drive you potty?

Which aspects of living here make you happy and which ones drive you potty?

Old Nov 4th 2009, 6:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Isakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Which aspects of living here make you happy and which ones drive you potty?

I am new to the forums and I would like to hear your opinions.
For me some days I feel really happy to be here, but I also sometimes feel like jumping on the next plane out. I suppose there are good and bad aspects of living anywhere in the world.

Regards,
Isakat
Old Nov 4th 2009, 7:16 pm
Forum Regular

JohnD63 has a spectacular aura aboutJohnD63 has a spectacular aura aboutJohnD63 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Which aspects of living here make you happy and which ones drive you potty?

I think you have to give it some time. Once you settle in a bit and start making friends it should be easier. Also winter is on its way and everything looks grey which doesnt help. It was a bit easier for me because i'm doing exactly what i would be doing in the UK in exactly the same working environment. So no change there. Of course there are times when i miss the UK but like you said there are good and bad aspects.

Things that drive me potty are when we go out i'm amazed at the crappy customer services in the shops. Also how patronising they can be to women, according to my other half, who also happens to be Italian

My little moan is these damn plugs they put on electrical appliances and trying to get them to fit into the sockets in the house. They have 3 different types of plug that i know of and its a task trying to find one to match a socket in the house

Okay moan finished
Old Nov 4th 2009, 7:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

indiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud of
Default Re: Which aspects of living here make you happy and which ones drive you potty?

Hmmm not sure I'm the best person to comment on this.... I'll come back when I can think of some positives....

You are right about the plug thing though John. It drives me bonkers. I've got adapters on me adapters on some places!!! I also hate the fact that I can't have the washing machine and the oven on at once and the fact that I still forget this at least once a week!!!!!

However, I do like the autumn sunshine during the day. I don't miss the grey and windy days for most of the year back at home thats for sure!!
Old Nov 4th 2009, 8:45 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

We had a similar thread a few years ago ......

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ight=LOVE+HATE

no reason why it cannot be updated though .......
Old Nov 6th 2009, 6:54 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Ooops - did my last comment kill the thread?

Know what you mean about the plugs, and the older style phone sockets are huge and stick a mile out of the wall.
Old Nov 6th 2009, 12:04 pm
Forum Regular

selinuntina is on a distinguished road

[/QUOTE] I also hate the fact that I can't have the washing machine and the oven on at once and the fact that I still forget this at least once a week!!!!! [/QUOTE]
when we first moved into our house here in UK DH was amazed when one evening I had the oven, dishwasher, washing manchine on whilst running a hot bath for the kids !!
Old Nov 6th 2009, 4:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice

That plug thing cracks me up. Why on earth do you have to have adapters on adapters? I'm interested to know if there is any explanation behind it. Now that I'm back in England we have Italian adapters on adapters, with an Italian to UK adapter on the end ha ha.

I had the dishwasher, washer and heating on last night ... Made me think of Italy where there's no doing that.
Old Nov 6th 2009, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by .Ariel.
That plug thing cracks me up. Why on earth do you have to have adapters on adapters? I'm interested to know if there is any explanation behind it. Now that I'm back in England we have Italian adapters on adapters, with an Italian to UK adapter on the end ha ha.

I had the dishwasher, washer and heating on last night ... Made me think of Italy where there's no doing that.
I have to say it ......... "shut up !"

I plunged my kids into darkness the other night just by putting some toast in the toaster - the dishwasher was on hot wash cycle or whatever.

I am learning though that when a large appliance is on cold rinse for example, less electricity is used meaning another another small appliance can be used at the same time. Not all times though can one gauge if the dishwasher or washing machine is doing a cold rinse.

Have I really just said all that tripe ? I can actually hear when a machine is on cold rinse and know I can turn another something on? I need a lover !
Old Nov 6th 2009, 6:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

indiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud of

Lol!!!! It really annoys me that I can't gauge it at all!!!! We also brought an A rated oven and I truly believed this would be fine with the A rated washing machine.... not so!!!!!
Old Nov 6th 2009, 7:27 pm
Just Joined

Melvin Udall is an unknown quantity at this point

Why are you unable to use more than one appliance at the one time?
Old Nov 6th 2009, 8:03 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

I can....should I just shut up now and go away?

Melvin- the normal kw rating coming into an Italian residence is 3kw. This means you can't have the fridge, cooker and iron on at the same time, the fuse trips. But enel etc are modern companies so now you can increase the kw at a cost. They do it remotely. Most people go for 6kw which still creates some problems. I have 10kw...that said I think in the UK it is 30kw...
Old Nov 6th 2009, 9:07 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TestaRossa
I can....should I just shut up now and go away?

Melvin- the normal kw rating coming into an Italian residence is 3kw. This means you can't have the fridge, cooker and iron on at the same time, the fuse trips. But enel etc are modern companies so now you can increase the kw at a cost. They do it remotely. Most people go for 6kw which still creates some problems. I have 10kw...that said I think in the UK it is 30kw...
10kw! You can have a Santa's Grotto! I have to make do with 41/2kw. That's all the line would take. Still have to be careful but at least I can put the dish washer and washing machine on at the same time as long as I don't use the hoover, oven, iron or a/c.
Old Nov 6th 2009, 9:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond repute

Its funny cos when I go back to see my mum I tend to worry about how much electricity I'm using. I think she thinks I'm a bit weird - but I try to explain that here in Italy we cant have lots of things on.
This week we were plunged into darkness as I switched on the iron as OH switched on the oven. What a pain
Old Nov 7th 2009, 6:17 am

I have ordered some solar powered fairy lights so they won't be using any electricity.

On the plus side - had some very, very nice white wine last night and it was dirt cheap too. If I can drag my sorry arse out of the house today I'll go and get some more of it.
Old Nov 7th 2009, 6:20 am
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 37100
10kw! You can have a Santa's Grotto! I have to make do with 41/2kw. That's all the line would take. Still have to be careful but at least I can put the dish washer and washing machine on at the same time as long as I don't use the hoover, oven, iron or a/c.
I know. But I think I pay more per unit too! But it is nice not having to worry about stuff going off! It's because of the a/c. Houses I've looked at recently are lower where there isn't any.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.