Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Anyone living off the grid??

Anyone living off the grid??

Old Dec 28th 2010, 10:30 am
Just Joined

jacksprats is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anyone living off the grid??

Would be very interested in stories of anyone who is managing to live off the grid or trying too, using alternate ways to power there home. Also how much it costs in Italy compared to the UK to set these systems up.
We are personally looking for ways to source water from a stream or well,heat water and get our electricity from solar panels and water heating panels and use wood burning stoves to heat the house.
As electricity and gas costs are on the rise (in the UK at least ,im sure this is the case in most of europe too) this kind of energy seems to be the sensible way forward.
Old Dec 28th 2010, 7:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Isakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone living off the grid??

Recently we installed a photovoltaic system consisting of 28 panels covering half our roof which in theory should give us around 8,000 KWH per annum.
We should be self sufficient and also sell ellectricity to the national grid.
Here in Italy you get subsidies from the GSE- http://www.gse.it/Pagine/default.aspx ; they pay 41 cents per kw produced, plus ENEL takes the kw's produced off your bill.
On average, we paid 151 euro a month in ellectricity for 2010 and we are looking forward to the benefits of the photovoltaic system in the future.
On top of that we have a wood burning fireplace-termocamino that heats the house by pumping hot water in all radiators plus we have hot water for showers.
We have thought of digging a well which we can use for the irrigation system, but as we are quite high, it will cost a lot to drill as they charge per meter.
I just read yesterday on our comune's website that many wells in our area were poluted with arsenic and fluoride, so the comune was asking people to have the wells examined.
I have read that nowdays many companies offer free photovoltaic panels in the UK and as they get incentives-payments by the government, it is becoming a lucrative business for many.
Personally, I do not think there is anything free in life.
Old Dec 28th 2010, 9:42 pm
Just Joined

jacksprats is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Isakat
Recently we installed a photovoltaic system consisting of 28 panels covering half our roof which in theory should give us around 8,000 KWH per annum.
We should be self sufficient and also sell ellectricity to the national grid.
Here in Italy you get subsidies from the GSE- http://www.gse.it/Pagine/default.aspx ; they pay 41 cents per kw produced, plus ENEL takes the kw's produced off your bill.
On average, we paid 151 euro a month in ellectricity for 2010 and we are looking forward to the benefits of the photovoltaic system in the future.
On top of that we have a wood burning fireplace-termocamino that heats the house by pumping hot water in all radiators plus we have hot water for showers.
We have thought of digging a well which we can use for the irrigation system, but as we are quite high, it will cost a lot to drill as they charge per meter.
I just read yesterday on our comune's website that many wells in our area were poluted with arsenic and fluoride, so the comune was asking people to have the wells examined.
I have read that nowdays many companies offer free photovoltaic panels in the UK and as they get incentives-payments by the government, it is becoming a lucrative business for many.
Personally, I do not think there is anything free in life.

151 euro a month seems quite steep, im hoping you have a large house and family paying that much.I had heard that most utility bills in italy were more expensive than the UK though, which is why we want to go off grid.
will check out the votovotaic system, thanks.

How does your wood burning system stand up. hear so many stories of either how good they are or how bad they are, depends what system you put in i suppose and how much you pay for it.
You got me thinking about whats free in life,not much left i suppose although
i think rain water but had heard some states in America were making it illegal to collect. The Air is still free or are we taxed on that or going to be? ah yeah food foraging is free. bring on the revolution!!
Old Dec 28th 2010, 10:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Capo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond repute

I'm looking forward to what comes next....