Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

ANYONE LIVING IN N.WEST SICILY ERICE AREA.

ANYONE LIVING IN N.WEST SICILY ERICE AREA.

Old Feb 16th 2009, 8:19 am
Forum Regular

kimmie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: ANYONE LIVING IN N.WEST SICILY ERICE AREA.

Originally Posted by enterprise1999
The problem with renting is......... I'll need to take my tools and equipment over, that means a large van. I've then got to take it back and drive my car over... now theres a few bob. Pluss I'll be spending money paying rent etc. Therefore the money pot to buy a place will be getting less all the time. I've got a box of Euros here..... Sadly no one want to exchange them with a property.

As I said in the previous post.... I looked at the town house for sale on the channel four programme......

I would have bought it as a stop gap because it had a garage......

It was suppose to be ready to move into.... Started life at 60,000 odd Euros dropped now to £20.000 and filling with water ( hence never go looking in summer) so the the roof needs stripping back to stop all the water ( not just a ladder job ). Plus the bell wire running round the walls carrying electricity gives you that little tingle with all the damp...
Have you looked anywhere else in Italy or have you focused just on sicily?
Old Feb 16th 2009, 10:56 am
Forum Regular

enterprise1999 is an unknown quantity at this point

It's location location location....

Son in law's family live there......

It's as far south, therefore warmer ( not this winter sadly) than many EEC countries.....

It's in the EEC.....

Was going to live in Egypt, nice and warm there.... Odd Visa rules there... No EEC protection.....

THERES NO FINER PLACE IN THE WORLD THAN ENGLAND... GOT SOME GREAT PLACES OF BEAUTY, I CAN SPEAK AND UNDERSTAND ENGLISH ECT ECT... AND IF IT WASNT SO GOOD WHY IS EVERYBODY TRYING TO LIVE IN ENGLAND..... DONT FIND MANY POLES AND OTHER IMIGRANTS TRYING TO GET TO ITALY THE UK IS NOW FULL OF THEM..........

"THE PROBLEM IS IT'S SO BLOODY COLD AND DAMP OLD FARTS LIKE ME DONT LIKE THE COLD"

But if I can't afford Sicily then I'll have to put up and shut up.....
Old Feb 17th 2009, 9:11 am
Forum Regular

kimmie is an unknown quantity at this point

It's location location location....

Son in law's family live there......

It's as far south, therefore warmer ( not this winter sadly) than many EEC countries.....

It's in the EEC.....

Was going to live in Egypt, nice and warm there.... Odd Visa rules there... No EEC protection.....

THERES NO FINER PLACE IN THE WORLD THAN ENGLAND... GOT SOME GREAT PLACES OF BEAUTY, I CAN SPEAK AND UNDERSTAND ENGLISH ECT ECT... AND IF IT WASNT SO GOOD WHY IS EVERYBODY TRYING TO LIVE IN ENGLAND..... DONT FIND MANY POLES AND OTHER IMIGRANTS TRYING TO GET TO ITALY THE UK IS NOW FULL OF THEM..........

"THE PROBLEM IS IT'S SO BLOODY COLD AND DAMP OLD FARTS LIKE ME DONT LIKE THE COLD"

But if I can't afford Sicily then I'll have to put up and shut up.....
Egypt has a lot of problems.We have a lot of Egyption friends who live in Greece. I wouldnt fancy it. I nearly got kidnapped in Morrocco once and Egpt is just as scarey!!!!
Old Feb 17th 2009, 10:19 am
Forum Regular

Women wont walk on there own after dark in Norwich now so no different, it's like living in a Baltic state............ I liked Egypt been there loads of times........ New years party at the expat club in cairo and walking early in the warming sun new years day around Saquara........ Magical. Much better than avoiding the kids pukeing in the streets in the early hours back home.

I've turned into a real old fart havent I....... But speak as you find.

Anyway bit off the thread..... So end of my tales of Sicily so far..............No doubt I'll keep looking.
Old Feb 17th 2009, 10:22 am
Forum Regular

selinuntina is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by kimmie
Egypt has a lot of problems.We have a lot of Egyption friends who live in Greece. I wouldnt fancy it. I nearly got kidnapped in Morrocco once and Egpt is just as scarey!!!!
DH and family sold a crumbling town town house in Castelvetrano for 20,000 euro last year. We had looked at buying it and doing it up, could have been an amazing house and right in the historic centre too. A builder friend told us it wasn't worth even attempting to do it up. No idea who they sold it too but they were Sicilians. In Marinella you can't get a small villa or apartment for less that 150,000. If you try Triscina or Tre Fontane you may find something there though, thats if you fancy living by the sea. Its deserted in the winter and be careful in Triscina as a lot of the houses are illegally built.
Old Feb 17th 2009, 10:43 am
Forum Regular

Last year was good for the pound............. As I said above the houses featured in the Channel 4 programme... Caccomo and Cianciana were reduced to 20k back in July...... and Still for sale.........Now the pound euro almost went 1 2 1....... What would they fetch now?............ give them another year unoccupied get them for 1 euro like the other town in the news...... But as you said.... cost a fortune doing them up.

So you agents or owners out there reading this........ I've a pocket of Euros....... Be sencible, Make me an offer I cant refuse.
Old Feb 17th 2009, 1:11 pm
Forum Regular

selinuntina is on a distinguished road

Last year was good for the pound............. As I said above the houses featured in the Channel 4 programme... Caccomo and Cianciana were reduced to 20k back in July...... and Still for sale.........Now the pound euro almost went 1 2 1....... What would they fetch now?............ give them another year unoccupied get them for 1 euro like the other town in the news...... But as you said.... cost a fortune doing them up.

So you agents or owners out there reading this........ I've a pocket of Euros....... Be sencible, Make me an offer I cant refuse.
Think that town was Salemi, which was near us. Made me laugh as they said it had sea vies, only if the house was on top of the highest hill, you climbed to the roof and it was a clear day, maybe you'd glimpse the sea.
I sometimes wish we could sell our house and move to another part of the village. Even though we are now only "summer" residents the thought of spending 6 weeks next to BIL makes me feel quite ill . Dh would never sell though.
Old Mar 27th 2009, 8:12 pm
Just Joined

donkeylover is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by selinuntina
Think that town was Salemi, which was near us. Made me laugh as they said it had sea vies, only if the house was on top of the highest hill, you climbed to the roof and it was a clear day, maybe you'd glimpse the sea.
I sometimes wish we could sell our house and move to another part of the village. Even though we are now only "summer" residents the thought of spending 6 weeks next to BIL makes me feel quite ill . Dh would never sell though.
Oh my God,
just got back from house)hunting in Sicily, thought I had something but you've just put me right off
I thought after 10 years in Morocco, it would be a doddle
Morocco is fine for "old farts" you know