Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Anyone know Torre del Greco near Naples?

Anyone know Torre del Greco near Naples?

Old Jul 8th 2009, 2:39 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Anyone know Torre del Greco near Naples?

I'm thinking of renting a place there for a week in August. It's right on the slopes of Vesuvius so looks like a good location. Don't worry about the temps - it is either there or Southern Spain, so no difference!
Old Jul 8th 2009, 4:02 pm
Not Dun Roaming Just Yet

Kenny and Moe has a brilliant futureKenny and Moe has a brilliant futureKenny and Moe has a brilliant futureKenny and Moe has a brilliant futureKenny and Moe has a brilliant futureKenny and Moe has a brilliant future
Default Re: Anyone know Torre del Greco near Naples?

Hi Testarossa,
It's near enough to Sorrento, Salerno, Vesuvio, Ercalaneum and Pompei for visiting, it's also near enough to the ferry port for boats to Capri and not too far out of Naples itself so if you plan on having a few day trips out it will be well suited. I have not been there myself though.
Regards Kenny
Old Jul 8th 2009, 4:06 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Kenny - sorry to hijack Testa's thread but when are you leaving us?

Testarossa, if you do go there would you go to Pompei? It's supposed to be a spectacular if slightly melancholy day out.
Old Jul 8th 2009, 5:03 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Hi Kenny - sorry to hijack Testa's thread but when are you leaving us?

Testarossa, if you do go there would you go to Pompei? It's supposed to be a spectacular if slightly melancholy day out.
Yes Kenny, when are you going
Keep saying I want to visit Pompei. Never seem to get there. My brother sometimes visits Napoli for work but I'm usually in uk when he's here.
Old Jul 8th 2009, 5:39 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

This place is tiny but about €400 for the week. Yes it's to do all the places Kenny mentions plus the view of Vesuvius should be spectacular - it's more camadoli than torre but just want a base more tha anything.
Old Jul 8th 2009, 6:17 pm
Not Dun Roaming Just Yet

Kenny and Moe has a brilliant futureKenny and Moe has a brilliant futureKenny and Moe has a brilliant futureKenny and Moe has a brilliant futureKenny and Moe has a brilliant futureKenny and Moe has a brilliant future
Smile Re: Anyone know Torre del Greco near Naples?

Hi Guys,
I will start my own thread at the weekend reference leaving but to put you in the picture seeing as you asked. We got back to UK towards the end of June. I am now in the second week of my survival arabic course and it's going okay. Moe is at home with the grandaughter enjoying some quality time. We fetched Bonnie and Clyde, our two little mites (dogs) back to UK last April so they are now settled. We actually fly out on the 21 Jul from Heathrow. We are already missing Italy after such a short time but rest assured we will be back to house hunt all over again. We do hope you are all okay
Regards Kenny
Old Jul 8th 2009, 6:20 pm
Not Dun Roaming Just Yet

Hi again,
Go to Herculaneum rather than Pompei, which is as boring as hell regardless of the history. There is very little to see in Pompei and was rather disappointing, I left it to the last week I was in Italy, thankfully none of my visitors ever asked to go. Vesuvio is an absolutely fantastic sight, and Sorrento is excellent. If anyone is interested I have a website for a camping site in Sorrento that has log cabins which are relatively cheap. We stayed three times in total and loved it.
Ciao Kenny
Old Jul 8th 2009, 6:57 pm
The Original Red Head!

Thanks for the info Kenny! Sorry, I would have to do Pompeii regardless! It's one of my places to see and has been since I was a kid! I also want to do herculaneum. My OH has just decided he doesn't want to do a week there anyway and would rather we went to Spain where he knows where everything is - his adventurous spirit seems to have vanished where travel is concerned!! So he is now talking about doing a long weekend by train from Florence - it takes about 4 hours on the train to Naples. But my concern is what we do when we reach Naples! Hire a car, get a bus, another train?? Probably even stay in a hotel instead of this house, I don't know.....Let me have the Sorrento camp site details - I believe a train goes there from Naples and I'm guessing buses must run to the sites from there!!
Old Jul 8th 2009, 7:55 pm
Not Dun Roaming Just Yet

Hi,
www.nubedargento.com for the campsite and have a look at www.trav.com which I think (if alzheimers hasn't kicked in) may have info on trains to Sorrento, there is though a train from the main Naples station to Sorrento, in fact it runs down the Amalfi coast, which in the month of August is the best way to travel.
I think you can only book for complete weeks in August but it could be worth checking,
Good luck, oh and enjoy Spain as well
Kenny
Old Jul 8th 2009, 8:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

chris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nice

Yes i stayed in a hotel in Torre del Greco but many years ago and i regularly drive by now. You will find the area fairly built up and a bit chaotic (but not as bad as downtown). Great for visiting all the sites already mentioned, the other location to visit is the archaeological museum in Napoli where all the Pompeii artifacts are kept.
Old Jul 9th 2009, 8:13 am
Forum Regular

debra is an unknown quantity at this point

Last year I stayed up in Priano just a little further up the coast from Sorrento. Getting around by buses and trains was really easy, to be honest I think driving around Sorrento would be a pain as the traffic is horrendous. I agree with Kenny Herculaneum is much better than Pompei, however I personally thought Pompei was great and a lot bigger than anticipated, you could easily be there the whole day. If you want to do both buy the combined ticket it works out a little cheaper. Capri to me was a bit disappointing, jam packed with tourists and very expensive I certainly would not bother returning. Also enjoyed Ravello and Positano if you type 360sorrento into google you will find a website we did last year for the area, which might be of interest.

Have a great holiday
Old Jul 9th 2009, 9:52 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Kenny and Moe
Hi Guys,
I will start my own thread at the weekend reference leaving but to put you in the picture seeing as you asked. We got back to UK towards the end of June. I am now in the second week of my survival arabic course and it's going okay. Moe is at home with the grandaughter enjoying some quality time. We fetched Bonnie and Clyde, our two little mites (dogs) back to UK last April so they are now settled. We actually fly out on the 21 Jul from Heathrow. We are already missing Italy after such a short time but rest assured we will be back to house hunt all over again. We do hope you are all okay
Regards Kenny
Hi Kenny

Good luck with your move, hope Moe's pregnancy results were ok I to am on the move back to Yorkshire, but just for the winter ciao
Old Jul 9th 2009, 10:57 am
Not Dun Roaming Just Yet

Hi Debra,
The pregnancy test was as expected as was the HIV test, just a case of waiting to go now, am on my final full day of the Arabic course...........
Where abouts in Yorkshire???
Kenny
Old Jul 9th 2009, 11:07 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Kenny and Moe
Hi Debra,
The pregnancy test was as expected as was the HIV test, just a case of waiting to go now, am on my final full day of the Arabic course...........
Where abouts in Yorkshire???
Kenny
Sunny "Slaithwaite", not as pretty as Holmfirth but more in my price range, had to take advantage of the market, only paid 65K. 2 years ago it was 115K, sad for the previous owners as it was repossessed, but great for me.
Old Jul 11th 2009, 8:11 am
BE Enthusiast

.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice

Testa, there's no way I would recommend staying in Torre Del Greco. Far too many undesirables around there. Come down on the train, then get either a taxi to the port and go over on the boat to Sorrento, or from the train station get the train (Circumvesuviana) which goes all around the coat to Sorrento. The places just before Sorrento are very nice (ie after Castellamare). The coastal train stops at all these places. St Agnello is beautiful, my family and I have been there a few times. So is Meta di Sorrento, Praiano etc.

Please don't have a holiday in Torre Del Greco

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.