Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Anybody in a lockdown zone?

Anybody in a lockdown zone?

Old Feb 29th 2020, 3:03 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anybody in a lockdown zone?

Originally Posted by Serrano
... and how many tourists do you think there will be gagging to come to Italy this summer? Or was that just British irony???
I'm going in 8 weeks
Old Feb 29th 2020, 3:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Serrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I'm going in 8 weeks
Ah, but you can't really be counted as a tourist. Non vale!
Old Feb 29th 2020, 3:14 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, but you can't really be counted as a tourist. Non vale!
Oh, I will be! Live in Australia, going to the UK to visit family but also to Italy (Sicily) and Spain, and then Turkey and Malaysia on the way home. As long as those countries' borders are still open, that is
Old Feb 29th 2020, 3:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm going in 8 weeks
The US has advised only essential travel to Italy. Your plane might be stuck on the ground.
Old Feb 29th 2020, 3:23 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by philat98
The US has advised only essential travel to Italy. Your plane might be stuck on the ground.
I live in Perth so not flying via the US. The Oz government only says 'exercise a high degree of caution' in the northern areas that are locked down, which is 1 advice level down from 'essential travel only' and 2 down from 'do not travel'. My travel insurance doesn't kick in for cancellations unless the advice is at one of the top two levels and I ain't wasting all that money.

Edit: just checked and the advice here for Italy has been extended to 'exercise a high degree of caution' across northern Italy.

Last edited by spouse of scouse; Feb 29th 2020 at 3:28 pm.
Old Feb 29th 2020, 8:46 pm
Forum Regular

Jake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond repute

I live in Perth so not flying via the US. The Oz government only says 'exercise a high degree of caution' in the northern areas that are locked down, which is 1 advice level down from 'essential travel only' and 2 down from 'do not travel'. My travel insurance doesn't kick in for cancellations unless the advice is at one of the top two levels and I ain't wasting all that money.

Edit: just checked and the advice here for Italy has been extended to 'exercise a high degree of caution' across northern Italy.
I'm going in 3 weeks but wont be stopping in North Italy except for fuel. I don't intend to change my travel plans and not go for any reason.
The way I see it is that they can only stop you going if the borders are closed and all flights are cancelled which would amount to a form of martial law and, via knock on effects, a probable complete crash of the wider economy throughout Europe and possibly even worldwide. I really don't see that happening as certain people in positions of power would stand to lose too much of their precious money from it.
I'll be going by road and sea and so far there is no word of the ferries being cancelled. When (if) I get there I'll update with my travel experience on the road if it's all still going on.
Call me a fool if you will but I can't help viewing all of this with some cynical skepticism as it all has more than a hint of hype, hysteria, and control freakery about it.

Last edited by Jake.White; Feb 29th 2020 at 8:53 pm.
Old Feb 29th 2020, 11:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute

... only to do with money, so I would worry...
Old Mar 1st 2020, 6:36 am
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

An economic crash was overdue anyway. The virus was just the push it needed. It will be a terrible year for Italy with so many small businesses dependent on tourism.
Old Mar 1st 2020, 6:48 am
Forum Regular

Jake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond repute

It would be a nightmare for us all in every country if it ever happened
Old Mar 1st 2020, 10:58 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by Jake.White
I'm going in 3 weeks but wont be stopping in North Italy except for fuel. I don't intend to change my travel plans and not go for any reason.
The way I see it is that they can only stop you going if the borders are closed and all flights are cancelled which would amount to a form of martial law and, via knock on effects, a probable complete crash of the wider economy throughout Europe and possibly even worldwide. I really don't see that happening as certain people in positions of power would stand to lose too much of their precious money from it.
I'll be going by road and sea and so far there is no word of the ferries being cancelled. When (if) I get there I'll update with my travel experience on the road if it's all still going on.
Call me a fool if you will but I can't help viewing all of this with some cynical skepticism as it all has more than a hint of hype, hysteria, and control freakery about it.
Plenty of lurid headlines and 24 hour rolling media coverage purposely designed to freak people out - at least one industry's making money from it all (don't they always).

The only thing that really caused me concern was that we were staying with family in the UK, between flying in and out of Europe. They're a couple in their early 70s, one with a heart condition and the other with diabetes. If we were required to self-isolate on our returns to the UK, or if we'd unknowingly picked up the virus in any one of the airports or on any of the flights, then living in close quarters with them would put them at risk and we wouldn't do that. So we've organised independent accommodation in the UK.

Have a great trip!
Old Mar 2nd 2020, 6:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

... and how many tourists do you think there will be gagging to come to Italy this summer? Or was that just British irony???
We are Brits in NZ and have made plans to meet UK family in Rome a couple of months and then tour through Italy, Switzerland and Germany.
Today the NZ Govt announced they are encouraging those returning from northern Italy to self isolate, which I'm fine with, another fortnight off work is fine with me.

My concern is our ability to travel around Italy and Europe while we are there.
Is there a list of the places/towns on lock down ?
Are they easily avoidable / are the roads in and out actually closed. Dont want to find myself stumbling into one and unable to leave.

Just thought I'd try and get answers from those who are there in amongst it
Old Mar 2nd 2020, 6:32 am
Forum Regular

From the foreign office website :

https://assets.publishing.service.go..._Italy_pdf.pdf

Last edited by Jake.White; Mar 2nd 2020 at 6:35 am.
Old Mar 2nd 2020, 6:40 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Justcol
We are Brits in NZ and have made plans to meet UK family in Rome a couple of months and then tour through Italy, Switzerland and Germany.
Today the NZ Govt announced they are encouraging those returning from northern Italy to self isolate, which I'm fine with, another fortnight off work is fine with me.

My concern is our ability to travel around Italy and Europe while we are there.
Is there a list of the places/towns on lock down ?
Are they easily avoidable / are the roads in and out actually closed. Dont want to find myself stumbling into one and unable to leave.

Just thought I'd try and get answers from those who are there in amongst it
Re the above link and maps I just posted : I think it safe to assume that all roads to and from the listed towns in Italy will be closed and policed : they wouldn't be in lockdown otherwise, and as far as I understand it the lockdown and confinement of those towns is not on a voluntary basis with everyone free to come and go. They are confined. I'm monitoring the whole thing as closely as I can as I'm travelling in 3 weeks time and so far haven't heard of any other travel restrictions anywhere on my route through Holland, Germany, and Austria apart from some cancelled flights.
Old Mar 2nd 2020, 9:16 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Plan B
Just heard today that the schools, which have been closed around us north of Treviso , will now be re-opening on Monday 2nd March.
I don't know if this is because the perceived level of risk is now lower, or that mothers have badgered the authorities in desperation so as to get their children out of the house and back to school.

All Veneto schools closed for another week so kids won't be going back until March 9th
Old Mar 2nd 2020, 9:21 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lindaf
Hi Lorna Re your friend getting the forehead test last Thursday, I wonder how long they have actually been testing new arrivals. I didn't see anything on the news about Coronavirus being in Italy at all until Friday evening, and then it was right in the area (Vo, Euganeo) we normally visit.
We've got flights booked to Treviso for this weekend, not cancelled yet but I don't think we'll be making this trip

Other friends arrived for skiing on Saturday 15th and they were tested. That's how I knew to warn my friend travelling alone the following Thursday to expect a forehead test.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.