British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Italy (https://britishexpats.com/forum/italy-77/)
-   -   Anybody in a lockdown zone? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/italy-77/anybody-lockdown-zone-931365/)

Lorna at Vicenza Feb 26th 2020 3:17 pm

Anybody in a lockdown zone?

Hello friends,
how are you all getting on? Anybody in a danger zone? Anybody in a panic zone with supermarkets emptying as fast as the Australian fires spread? The Veneto has shut down all schools and stuff but they would have been shut for three days this week anyway for carnival holidays.

Last Thursday I picked up my old school friend from Treviso airport where she was forehead tested along with every other arrival. Life here was normal and we partied and watched the carnival parade on Saturday and went to Lake Garda on Sunday and did anything we wanted to. Yesterday I drove her back to Treviso but at Manchester airport there were no checks or warnings at all. Now the BBC is going crazy telling everybody coming in from Northern Italy to self isolate.

PaxPacis Feb 26th 2020 3:39 pm

Re: Anybody in a lockdown zone?

We live in Veneto too, but close to the Austrian border. So far so good, no panic whatsoever, no cases up here, yet. Mind you, where we live we don't even get visits from Jehovah's Witnesses, so I think we will be fine.

Geordieborn Feb 26th 2020 5:05 pm

We are in the UK and will be for some time. Friends are heading back after the winter here in the UK, she is in a big panic about driving over down to Abruzzo, he has no idea why.... :huh: I would be a bit in between, not too sure which way this is going.

philat98 Feb 26th 2020 7:51 pm

My local outdoor market was completely deserted this morning. The busiest fruit stall that normally has 4 checkouts each with long queues had nobody on the till. Surprising since Umbria has no reported cases.
The pharmacy had the counter windows closed too with a tiny gap to speak through.
I am amazed that they let the Juventus game go ahead in France.
The situation is quite serious with 400 cases and 36 in intensive care. A region like Umbria with a high population of over 60s could be quite vulnerable.

Nand Feb 27th 2020 2:06 pm

I guess you might expect a smaller number of people on Ash Wednesday, still I think it shows Italians are wanting to survive the onslaught of the Covid 19. That's a good thing.

Take good care of yourself.

I also regret that the French attitude has been far from helpful and typically is 'we don't care very much' because we aren't ready for a pandemic anyway here in France, to paraphrase President Macron today.

Sure the government doesn't intend to isolate or so far have not made an effort to stop holiday travel. That sort of method may work toward the infection of millions of people in france and then we just make the best of it? Or maybe this solves the recent popular revolt about problems with the french pension plan? After all it will eliminate a lot of elderly pensioners if the SARS Cov 2 is just let run amok since they ill be the ones mostly dying from it.

I apologize for the depressing tone, but it is a little bit unnerving atm, as you also must be experiencing even more so where you live.

lindaf Feb 27th 2020 4:42 pm

Hi Lorna Re your friend getting the forehead test last Thursday, I wonder how long they have actually been testing new arrivals. I didn't see anything on the news about Coronavirus being in Italy at all until Friday evening, and then it was right in the area (Vo, Euganeo) we normally visit.
We've got flights booked to Treviso for this weekend, not cancelled yet but I don't think we'll be making this trip :(

AstridK Feb 27th 2020 9:35 pm

Just got back from house hunting in Abruzzo.
Infa red line up of masked officials coming INTO Rome but zero happening the way out.Either at Stansted.
Lots of people on our flight and in airport in masks..

philat98 Feb 28th 2020 7:08 am

Originally Posted by AstridK (Post 12813092)
Just got back from house hunting in Abruzzo.
Infa red line up of masked officials coming INTO Rome but zero happening the way out.Either at Stansted.
Lots of people on our flight and in airport in masks..

It makes you wonder if the UK is looking for the infection. That might be why they have so few cases.

Nand Feb 28th 2020 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by philat98 (Post 12813206)
It makes you wonder if the UK is looking for the infection. That might be why they have so few cases.

It does make sense to get ahead of the thing rather than be left behind with it. I hope the UK manages to do that.

Geordieborn Feb 28th 2020 12:38 pm

I understand from our local Abruzzo forum that the 1st case has been confirmed there as well:(

Plan B Feb 28th 2020 3:19 pm

Just heard today that the schools, which have been closed around us north of Treviso , will now be re-opening on Monday 2nd March.
I don't know if this is because the perceived level of risk is now lower, or that mothers have badgered the authorities in desperation so as to get their children out of the house and back to school.

philat98 Feb 28th 2020 5:00 pm

There are 2 cases in Umbria now. Its going to be difficult for Italy to follow China's lead on lockdown when so much revenue comes from tourism.

Plan B Feb 28th 2020 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by Plan B (Post 12813348)
Just heard today that the schools, which have been closed around us north of Treviso , will now be re-opening on Monday 2nd March.
I don't know if this is because the perceived level of risk is now lower, or that mothers have badgered the authorities in desperation so as to get their children out of the house and back to school.

No longer sure if this applies to all education establishments, or just the adult education school (where my wife teaches) which has said it will reopen.

Serrano Feb 28th 2020 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by philat98 (Post 12813404)
There are 2 cases in Umbria now. Its going to be difficult for Italy to follow China's lead on lockdown when so much revenue comes from tourism.

... and how many tourists do you think there will be gagging to come to Italy this summer? Or was that just British irony???

philat98 Feb 29th 2020 3:02 pm

The boss of the Veneto Zaia is putting the blame on the live rat eating Chinese. A councilor in Pavia puts the blame on the filthy habits of folks from Naples, France and Romania. A restaurant in Umbria has a sign on the door saying no Chinese or anyone who even looks a bit Chinese.

spouse of scouse Feb 29th 2020 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by Serrano (Post 12813492)
... and how many tourists do you think there will be gagging to come to Italy this summer? Or was that just British irony???

I'm going in 8 weeks :lol:

Serrano Feb 29th 2020 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 12813779)

Ah, but you can't really be counted as a tourist. Non vale!

spouse of scouse Feb 29th 2020 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by Serrano (Post 12813781)
Ah, but you can't really be counted as a tourist. Non vale!

Oh, I will be! Live in Australia, going to the UK to visit family but also to Italy (Sicily) and Spain, and then Turkey and Malaysia on the way home. As long as those countries' borders are still open, that is :unsure:

philat98 Feb 29th 2020 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 12813779)

The US has advised only essential travel to Italy. Your plane might be stuck on the ground.

spouse of scouse Feb 29th 2020 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by philat98 (Post 12813787)
The US has advised only essential travel to Italy. Your plane might be stuck on the ground.

I live in Perth so not flying via the US. The Oz government only says 'exercise a high degree of caution' in the northern areas that are locked down, which is 1 advice level down from 'essential travel only' and 2 down from 'do not travel'. My travel insurance doesn't kick in for cancellations unless the advice is at one of the top two levels and I ain't wasting all that money.

Edit: just checked and the advice here for Italy has been extended to 'exercise a high degree of caution' across northern Italy.

Jake.White Feb 29th 2020 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 12813790)
I live in Perth so not flying via the US. The Oz government only says 'exercise a high degree of caution' in the northern areas that are locked down, which is 1 advice level down from 'essential travel only' and 2 down from 'do not travel'. My travel insurance doesn't kick in for cancellations unless the advice is at one of the top two levels and I ain't wasting all that money.

Edit: just checked and the advice here for Italy has been extended to 'exercise a high degree of caution' across northern Italy.

I'm going in 3 weeks but wont be stopping in North Italy except for fuel. I don't intend to change my travel plans and not go for any reason.
The way I see it is that they can only stop you going if the borders are closed and all flights are cancelled which would amount to a form of martial law and, via knock on effects, a probable complete crash of the wider economy throughout Europe and possibly even worldwide. I really don't see that happening as certain people in positions of power would stand to lose too much of their precious money from it.
I'll be going by road and sea and so far there is no word of the ferries being cancelled. When (if) I get there I'll update with my travel experience on the road if it's all still going on.
Call me a fool if you will but I can't help viewing all of this with some cynical skepticism as it all has more than a hint of hype, hysteria, and control freakery about it.

Geordieborn Feb 29th 2020 11:36 pm

... only to do with money, so I would worry...

philat98 Mar 1st 2020 6:36 am

An economic crash was overdue anyway. The virus was just the push it needed. It will be a terrible year for Italy with so many small businesses dependent on tourism.

Jake.White Mar 1st 2020 6:48 am

It would be a nightmare for us all in every country if it ever happened

spouse of scouse Mar 1st 2020 10:58 am

Originally Posted by Jake.White (Post 12813928)
I'm going in 3 weeks but wont be stopping in North Italy except for fuel. I don't intend to change my travel plans and not go for any reason.
The way I see it is that they can only stop you going if the borders are closed and all flights are cancelled which would amount to a form of martial law and, via knock on effects, a probable complete crash of the wider economy throughout Europe and possibly even worldwide. I really don't see that happening as certain people in positions of power would stand to lose too much of their precious money from it.
I'll be going by road and sea and so far there is no word of the ferries being cancelled. When (if) I get there I'll update with my travel experience on the road if it's all still going on.
Call me a fool if you will but I can't help viewing all of this with some cynical skepticism as it all has more than a hint of hype, hysteria, and control freakery about it.

Plenty of lurid headlines and 24 hour rolling media coverage purposely designed to freak people out - at least one industry's making money from it all (don't they always).

The only thing that really caused me concern was that we were staying with family in the UK, between flying in and out of Europe. They're a couple in their early 70s, one with a heart condition and the other with diabetes. If we were required to self-isolate on our returns to the UK, or if we'd unknowingly picked up the virus in any one of the airports or on any of the flights, then living in close quarters with them would put them at risk and we wouldn't do that. So we've organised independent accommodation in the UK.

Have a great trip!

Justcol Mar 2nd 2020 6:19 am

Originally Posted by Serrano (Post 12813492)

We are Brits in NZ and have made plans to meet UK family in Rome a couple of months and then tour through Italy, Switzerland and Germany.
Today the NZ Govt announced they are encouraging those returning from northern Italy to self isolate, which I'm fine with, another fortnight off work is fine with me.

My concern is our ability to travel around Italy and Europe while we are there.
Is there a list of the places/towns on lock down ?
Are they easily avoidable / are the roads in and out actually closed. Dont want to find myself stumbling into one and unable to leave.

Just thought I'd try and get answers from those who are there in amongst it

Jake.White Mar 2nd 2020 6:32 am

From the foreign office website :

https://assets.publishing.service.go..._Italy_pdf.pdf

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...edb49edb7e.png
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...b9cb4935b2.png

Jake.White Mar 2nd 2020 6:40 am

Originally Posted by Justcol (Post 12814523)
We are Brits in NZ and have made plans to meet UK family in Rome a couple of months and then tour through Italy, Switzerland and Germany.
Today the NZ Govt announced they are encouraging those returning from northern Italy to self isolate, which I'm fine with, another fortnight off work is fine with me.

My concern is our ability to travel around Italy and Europe while we are there.
Is there a list of the places/towns on lock down ?
Are they easily avoidable / are the roads in and out actually closed. Dont want to find myself stumbling into one and unable to leave.

Just thought I'd try and get answers from those who are there in amongst it

Re the above link and maps I just posted : I think it safe to assume that all roads to and from the listed towns in Italy will be closed and policed : they wouldn't be in lockdown otherwise, and as far as I understand it the lockdown and confinement of those towns is not on a voluntary basis with everyone free to come and go. They are confined. I'm monitoring the whole thing as closely as I can as I'm travelling in 3 weeks time and so far haven't heard of any other travel restrictions anywhere on my route through Holland, Germany, and Austria apart from some cancelled flights.

Lorna at Vicenza Mar 2nd 2020 9:16 am

Originally Posted by Plan B (Post 12813348)

All Veneto schools closed for another week so kids won't be going back until March 9th

Lorna at Vicenza Mar 2nd 2020 9:21 am

Originally Posted by lindaf (Post 12812935)
Hi Lorna Re your friend getting the forehead test last Thursday, I wonder how long they have actually been testing new arrivals. I didn't see anything on the news about Coronavirus being in Italy at all until Friday evening, and then it was right in the area (Vo, Euganeo) we normally visit.
We've got flights booked to Treviso for this weekend, not cancelled yet but I don't think we'll be making this trip :(

Other friends arrived for skiing on Saturday 15th and they were tested. That's how I knew to warn my friend travelling alone the following Thursday to expect a forehead test.

37100 Mar 2nd 2020 5:30 pm

Went to a shopping centre, here in Verona, that has a supermarket aimed at germans. It absolutely reeked of disinfect. It was hard not to gag. Someone had obviously spent the night spraying everywhere.

philat98 Mar 2nd 2020 6:39 pm

Ryanair are cancelling 25% of their flights in Italy. At least they are giving 14 days notice. I wonder if they give a refund?

Lorna at Vicenza Mar 2nd 2020 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by philat98 (Post 12814927)
Ryanair are cancelling 25% of their flights in Italy. At least they are giving 14 days notice. I wonder if they give a refund?

Think I saw that you could ask for a refund, re-book or re-route. God knows how long it will take them to process refunds though?

philat98 Mar 3rd 2020 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza (Post 12814936)
Think I saw that you could ask for a refund, re-book or re-route. God knows how long it will take them to process refunds though?

Ryanair have cancelled and refunded my flight to Vienna in April through Paypal. I am quite impressed.

Geordieborn Mar 3rd 2020 6:09 pm

WoW so am I !

Lorna at Vicenza Mar 4th 2020 8:30 am

Originally Posted by philat98 (Post 12815486)
Ryanair have cancelled and refunded my flight to Vienna in April through Paypal. I am quite impressed.

Wow. I didn't think they would be so quick with refunds. April though? How long are we expecting all of this to go on for?

Geordieborn Mar 4th 2020 8:56 am

Listening to the media discussions here in the UK I’m thinking at least May/June, but they are talking about moving the Olympics… (Summer). I really don’t think they have a clue, but are banking on warmer weather having a positive impact, if only in terms of the NHS not being as busy. In that respect Italy we certainly be ahead on that score, which would be great in view of the number of deaths there in Italy.

philat98 Mar 4th 2020 9:43 am

My outdoor market was very quiet again despite only 8cases in Umbria. The hypermarket was quiet, normally stocked but sold out of handwash and disinfectants. Judging by the smell of chlorine coming from my neighbours flat Umbrian's are putting their trust in bleach.

GeorgeYoung Mar 6th 2020 12:54 pm

Not wishing to be alarmist but I can see this becoming the new normal for some while. I guess the warmer summer weather could help us out but until then I think it's everyone's responsibility to do what is asked of them to limit the spread. This is a disease which largely affects the weakest people in society and for which there is currently no medicinal cure. In addition, the more we can limit its spread, the longer we give ourselves for a cure to be found and, just as importantly, we can reduce the strain on hospitals. My initial reaction was along the lines of it being another seasonal flu but I've read messages from people with far more knowledge than me who say that this is definitely not the case.

No need for panic but we shouldn't trivialise it. Wash your hands!

philat98 Mar 6th 2020 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by GeorgeYoung (Post 12816937)

No need for panic but we shouldn't trivialise it. Wash your hands!

I listened to Trump and Pence talking about the virus on Saturday afternoon. They explained very simply and clearly the threat. I wouldn't like to be working in London and travelling on packed commuter trains every day.