Reload this Page >

Any Brits Living In Abruzzo

Any Brits Living In Abruzzo

Old Jan 6th 2007, 7:27 pm
Just Joined

tim gordon is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Any Brits Living In Abruzzo

would like to contact any Brits Pescara area thinking of moving there
next year or so. Would like a bit more info about life style and legal issues??
Tim
Old Mar 13th 2007, 4:54 pm
Just Joined

paulstubbs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Any Brits Living In Abruzzo

Hi Tim,

Apologies but have just joined BritishExpats .... My wife and I bought a house last February on the edge of a small village about 25 minutes from Pescara. The renovation work is almost complete. The whole experience was incredibly positive and everything from start to finish has been really simple.
The whole area is just beautiful ... especially as we are 25 minutes from the sea and yet just 50 minutes from the main ski resorts. We have visted on numerous occasions over the past year and intend retiring to the house in about 5 years time.

Feel free to ask as many questions as you can think of.

Regards
Paul
Old May 9th 2007, 2:26 pm
Just Joined

Ed Foley is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Tim

Not sure I can give any advice about legal aspects, yet. We are in the process of buying an apartment in Castel Frentano which is about 30 - 40 minutes south of Pescara. We should have signed the compromesso last week but the notario cancelled so we have put it back for a couple of weeks

As mentioned in other responses the area is beautiful. We seem to have easy access to the sea, the national parks in the hills and the ski resorts in the mountains.
Old May 9th 2007, 11:04 pm
Just Joined

HI ED
Thanks for the contact I expect you are pretty excited right now
We are going over to see some places on the 16th at Nocciano/ Tortoreto
and Monciano only over for three nights. But we are going over again for
two weeks in July. My Email is in the dropdown menu when you click my username, lets keep
up the contact and good luck.
Tim Gordon

Last edited by jdr; May 10th 2007 at 5:53 am. Reason: Deleted email address to stop you getting spammed.
Old May 29th 2007, 7:46 pm
Just Joined

abiame is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Tim

My husband is Italian and at the moment we live in England, however his parents have a holiday place in Tortoreto. The place has beautiful beaches, food, and mountains. I would thoroughly recommend it from a holiday point of view. Living there I can't comment. We will be there for 10 days from June 30th....

If you want to meet up....

Abi
Old Jun 2nd 2007, 8:45 am
Just Joined

Hi Abi
Thanks for your contact we will be back out in Montisilvano from
4th 17th July. Have just had a flying visit out there actually went
and saw a place in Tortoreto!!

Here is our email Removed for privacy, you can contact by clicking on username, jdr (mod)

Last edited by jdr; Jun 2nd 2007 at 12:30 pm.
Old Jun 8th 2007, 4:25 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by abiame
Hi Tim

My husband is Italian and at the moment we live in England, however his parents have a holiday place in Tortoreto. The place has beautiful beaches, food, and mountains. I would thoroughly recommend it from a holiday point of view. Living there I can't comment. We will be there for 10 days from June 30th....

If you want to meet up....

Abi
Hi Abiam
we will be over at Montisilvano from 4th July renting an apartment for two
weeks perhaps we could all meet up for lunch or a coffee somtime would
be nice to exchange info.
Old Sep 13th 2007, 10:56 am
Miles away from home

Awineor2 is on a distinguished road

Hi Paul

Wonder if you could help me please. I have done a lot of research over the internet on buying in Southern Le Marche or North Abruzzo. We are looking for a renovation property in the hills but close to a town with amenities, this is going to become our permanent home and retirement retreat eventually. I will be visiting the area shortly to view properties but was wondering if you could recommend some areas. We have thought of the traingle between Ascoli Piceno, L'Aquila and Pescara and as you have already bought there would love to know your thoughts on the areas that I have suggested. Hope to hear from you soon and who knows we may be neighbours one day. Good Luck with the renovations. Mandy

Originally Posted by paulstubbs
Hi Tim,

Apologies but have just joined BritishExpats .... My wife and I bought a house last February on the edge of a small village about 25 minutes from Pescara. The renovation work is almost complete. The whole experience was incredibly positive and everything from start to finish has been really simple.
The whole area is just beautiful ... especially as we are 25 minutes from the sea and yet just 50 minutes from the main ski resorts. We have visted on numerous occasions over the past year and intend retiring to the house in about 5 years time.

Feel free to ask as many questions as you can think of.

Regards
Paul
Old Sep 13th 2007, 2:03 pm
Just Joined

Hi

I am not really qualified to comment on the life style in Abruzzo yet. We have bought a new apartment in Castel Frentano in the south near Lanciano. (Neither of us had the confidence or competence to face renovation). Our apartment has just got a certificate of habitation and the final signing will take place next week if all goes well. The buying process so far seems to have been pretty painless for us although it has taken longer than we originally envisaged. Most of our problems have been at the UK end, rather than in Italy.

Like most most other people we are within easy reach of a range of impressive beaches, sandy, stony, free and private, and the mountains are less than an hour away. Most of our visits have been too fleeting to actually spend time on the beach but we have wandered about and sampled the bars etc which all seem pretty good and have always been very quiet when we have been there. (mind you we avoided August).

Lanciano is really nice to walk around especially in the evenings, and we have found some really nice restaurants, although with our level of competence in Italian the use of verbal rather than written menus has caused us a few concerns. I am also pretty impressed with the shops. We are having a kitchen installed in our apartment which is dramatically cheaper than a similar installation we had done in the UK. We spent sometime last weekend wandering around the local Hypermarket, which is just excellent, and we haven't even got to know the little specailist shops where all the locals go yet.

I am also impressed with how friendly and helpful everybody has been in hotels, restaurants, cafes etc. Another thing that strikes me about this area at least is how many people park cars with the doors left unlocked and the windows wide open. Friends in the north advised us not to go the south because:
The countryside is dirty
There is a lot of criminality
The infrastructure is poor.

None of that is our experience so far. However, as is pretty clear I guess I am still in the honeymoon phase. I will probably be able to give a more balanced view once I try to pay my utility bill for the first time.
Old Sep 22nd 2007, 3:12 pm
Just Joined

Fereday is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi to Tim, Paul, Ed and everyone else. I have just moved into Abruzzo close to Pescara. Happy to share property buying experiences! First question does anyone know any double glazing companies in the area?

Many thanks

John
Old Sep 22nd 2007, 3:50 pm
Miles away from home

Awineor2 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Fereday
Hi to Tim, Paul, Ed and everyone else. I have just moved into Abruzzo close to Pescara. Happy to share property buying experiences! First question does anyone know any double glazing companies in the area?

Many thanks

John
Hi John, and congratulations on your purchase how is it all going? We are still in the stages of finding what we want. I am travelling over to Abruzzo and Le March in two weeks time to view a number of properties in the hope that we may make a purchase. As we are not too sure on areas etc we have chosen an area to cover from Tolentino down to Ascoli Piceno, perhaps even considering down to Pescara. We are looking hills or nearer the coast area for accessibility etc can you give us any tips on areas and why please. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Look forward to hearing from you soon. Thanks Mandy
Old Sep 22nd 2007, 4:13 pm
Just Joined

Hi Mandy
Thank you for your good wishes. Apart from the obvious beauty of the region and its juxtaposition between the mountains and the coast - for practicality I choose the area around Pescara because of the direct access to the airport - Ryanair from Stansted and the equally good rail and motorway connections. You can be in Rome in just on two hours by road and that opens up the opportunity to use Rome flights (Jet2.com etc) and either drive or take the superb Rome to Pescara express bus - more like aircraft club class! I found the house through a Pescara agent AbruzzoHouses who are the Jackson-Stops & Staff's agents in the region. I found them very helpful. They organised two days of touring around from a short-list I had compiled and sorted out the Notary, tax certificate and Italian bank account. If it's helpful they are at: [email protected] or telephone number : +39 085 291327.

I found Atri a beautiful town as are many of the other hilltop towns. The secret seems to be to find a traditional hilltop town that is accessible to/from the coast - the advantage usually being a traditional house with views of the coast and mountains and good communications if you get the right location.

Hope that helps. Happy to share more thoughts.

Kind Regards

John
Old Sep 26th 2007, 11:14 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Fereday

Many thanks

John
Hi John

Not sure if this helps, but we had the fittings added to our doors by these people. When we were in their showrooms they had quite a range of windows there. I'm not sure they did double glazing but I am pretty sure they would be able to put you in touch with somebody who does. Of course they are a bit south of you in Lanciano / San Vito.

Falegnameria Bianco s.a.s di Bianco Vito & C. Via San Rocco, 262-66038 San Vito Chietino tel e fax 0872 61226. www.biancoinfissi.it [email protected]
Old Dec 18th 2007, 5:06 am
Just Joined

Hi All

seasons Greetings

We are visiting our house near Pescara for the New Year until mid-January. Is anyone around the Pescara/Abruzzo area at this time?

Regards

John
Old Dec 19th 2007, 11:43 am
Just Joined

pescarapest is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All,
We bought an apartment in Silvi Marina about 3 years ago and spend about three months of the year out there. I normally drive over in March, leave the car there for the Summer, and drive back in October (loaded with goodies).

I can't really fault the area; as you've said the connections to Rome are very quick, the people are very friendly and helpful (which, if you ask other Italians, will say is not a usual trait of the Abruzzesi). Being within 50 metres of the sea we're on the beach all the time in the summer, and up in the mountains when it gets too hot.

The only downside is that my wife has convinced herself that she can't pick up the lingo so feels a bit isolated after about 10 days of only talking to me - apparently she's heard all my jokes - so this tends to cut short the length of our visits. I have looked, unsuccessfully, for any English clubs in the area and now ask, by way of this bulletin board, if there are places where the Brits hang out? I would very much like to retire to this area but it can't happen until my wife feels more comfortable about staying there for longer periods.

Regards to all and a very Merry Christmas.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.