ant problem

Old Jul 4th 2020, 3:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond repute
Default ant problem

our garden is overrun with ants and after some research I think I need some Borax. Can anyone tell me what it's labelled as in Italy and where to look for it please?
Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 4th 2020, 6:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ant problem

Not too sure it's borax, but when there I went to the ferramenta in V. San Romualdo and told him formica and out came the puff spray. But I know you have been there a while, so things must be bad with the ants? I'm sure if you tell them polvere di borace they will help
Old Jul 4th 2020, 9:21 pm
Forum Regular

Lugsbug has a brilliant futureLugsbug has a brilliant futureLugsbug has a brilliant futureLugsbug has a brilliant futureLugsbug has a brilliant futureLugsbug has a brilliant futureLugsbug has a brilliant futureLugsbug has a brilliant future

Hi Pica - I sympathise - our garden is overrun too. We tried borax traps but didn't have much success. I use a powder round the outside of the house and a liquid insecticide for the garden. I want to spend more time in the garden but the ants really put me off
Old Jul 4th 2020, 9:30 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lugsbug
Hi Pica - I sympathise - our garden is overrun too. We tried borax traps but didn't have much success. I use a powder round the outside of the house and a liquid insecticide for the garden. I want to spend more time in the garden but the ants really put me off
Same here, we tried every single non-toxic method we researched and none of them worked. Well, they did for a couple of days and then the ants were back.

We tried pouring boiling water into their nests, pouring a mix of soda water and bi-carb, and numerous other things that escape me at the moment. We ended up having to get a pest exterminator in, we vacated for a couple of days. When we got home it was like the theme music from the Pink Panther - dead ant, dead ant, deadantdeadantdeadantdeadant......
Old Jul 5th 2020, 10:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Pica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone. We have used powder and granules for years now with good effect but this year they appear to have either become immune or defiant!
Guess we'll have to wait for winter and dig all the borders up. At least they aren't in the house because if they were I'd have to leave.
Old Jul 9th 2020, 11:46 am
Forum Regular

sabato will become famous soon enough

I've noticed they are really bad this year. I researched and found this cheap solution.
Same qualities of bicarbonate of soda and icing sugar. Keep doing it if they return or use bought ant powder to finish them off. Definitely not having to use as much so works. Its certainly cheaper than powder and sprays, I was buying 2 of everything cos went through it that much. I hate when they fly and get a black covering over the patio windows. This is easier than brushing off all the bodies!

Only problem is that it sometimes sets solid, if it's a bit humid.
Tip use a teaspoon or thin stick to get it into the opening of the nest.
Happy extermination!
Old Jul 9th 2020, 11:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Vinegar gets rid of them.
Old Jul 9th 2020, 9:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by sabato
I've noticed they are really bad this year. I researched and found this cheap solution.
Same qualities of bicarbonate of soda and icing sugar. Keep doing it if they return or use bought ant powder to finish them off. Definitely not having to use as much so works. Its certainly cheaper than powder and sprays, I was buying 2 of everything cos went through it that much. I hate when they fly and get a black covering over the patio windows. This is easier than brushing off all the bodies!

Only problem is that it sometimes sets solid, if it's a bit humid.
Tip use a teaspoon or thin stick to get it into the opening of the nest.
Happy extermination!
Thankyou for suggestion but ours are just coming out of the gaps between garden and walls so no clear defined anthills to attack...but I shall surely give this a go.
Old Jul 9th 2020, 9:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by scot47
Vinegar gets rid of them.
will be on this tomorrow am
Old Jul 9th 2020, 9:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute

just leave them alone...
Old Jul 10th 2020, 8:44 am
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geordieborn
just leave them alone...
A hotel in Capri where I spent a night had the same philosophy.
Old Jul 10th 2020, 12:07 pm
Forum Regular

Accetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond repute

It seems a bit extreme, but some of the locals here burn them. You buy the liquid, pour it down the holes and light it. I accept no responsibility for outcomes - just the messenger.
Old Jul 10th 2020, 12:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

They encourage Green Woodpeckers and Hoopoe's, lovely birds...
Old Jul 10th 2020, 2:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

just leave them alone...
That would mean I can't get into an overgrown border to weed and cut back. I have a phobia about ants and have started dreaming/nightmaring about them.
Old Jul 10th 2020, 2:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

They encourage Green Woodpeckers and Hoopoe's, lovely birds...
We have hoopoes but they're not eating enough and one visit from a green woodpecker who didn't go to the correct place.
What we need is an anteater for which I'd pay good money to rent.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.