Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Another Move to Parma

Another Move to Parma

Old Oct 16th 2009, 8:38 pm
Just Joined

Washingtonian is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Another Move to Parma

Your site has been so useful, I'm posing as British to follow up on the earlier threads on moving to Parma. One recommendation for Superchi has been a blessing. Does anyone have any updates? This is no kids, just me for a year (going to U. of Gastronomic Sciences).

I want to be in centro storico as close to the duomo as possible, and just need a small place--but light, nice, a terrace, a balcony, reasonable quiet, and character with cleanliness are important. (I've tried calling and emailing agencies and it seems that things are snatched away before I can follow through--do I really need to be there to do this--I was hoping to be able to rent before arriving. I passed up school apartment housing, as I'm old enough to be some students' grandmother!) Thank you in advance!
Old Oct 18th 2009, 6:46 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another Move to Parma

Hi and welcome. You don't have to be British to follow us, but you might get a bit lost when we go down the nostalgic road of crunchies, coronation street and zebra crossings!
We've moved a few times and have almost always found it impossible to get an agency to take us seriously unless we were standing in front of them with money in hand. It might be difficult though not impossible, to find an place with a roomy balcony in an old town centre. Even Juliet's here in Verona, was added for the benefit of tourists who were disappointed at seeing the house with out a balcony!
Old Oct 18th 2009, 9:22 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Washingtonian
Your site has been so useful, I'm posing as British to follow up on the earlier threads on moving to Parma. One recommendation for Superchi has been a blessing. Does anyone have any updates? This is no kids, just me for a year (going to U. of Gastronomic Sciences).

I want to be in centro storico as close to the duomo as possible, and just need a small place--but light, nice, a terrace, a balcony, reasonable quiet, and character with cleanliness are important. (I've tried calling and emailing agencies and it seems that things are snatched away before I can follow through--do I really need to be there to do this--I was hoping to be able to rent before arriving. I passed up school apartment housing, as I'm old enough to be some students' grandmother!) Thank you in advance!
Some of my best friends have been twenty years younger than me and some twenty older! You are as young as you feel! Don't write it off completely, unless it is already too late. You could do the student housing for a couple of months while you look for a place - by then you might even be happy where you are! You might even find that much younger girls will find you being there reassuring rather than boring! It's more likely you that will get fed up with them! Or is that what you were thinking in the first place?

I agree with 37100 though, it is easier to find a place here than long distance!
Welcome!
Old Oct 20th 2009, 3:28 pm
Just Joined

Washingtonian is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you 37100. This seems to explain everything. I know of Americans who manage to rent a place before going (which one needs to do to obtain the long term residency visa), so it has been a real puzzle and frustration--I've missed out on two little places with terrazze! And without a bank account in Italy, paying is easier from home!

If anyone in Parma knows of anything please let me know! Thank you...and at least I know what Marmite is! Helen