Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Amalfi Coast, where to stay?

Amalfi Coast, where to stay?

Old Jun 12th 2016, 3:27 pm
Grace and gratitude

pommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Amalfi Coast, where to stay?

Hi all

Planning to spend a few days on the Amalfi coast, can you suggest the best place to base ourselves, Sorrento, Positano, somewhere else? We don't want to do loads but have a bit of sightseeing and a bit of relaxation.

All suggestions welcome....
Old Jun 12th 2016, 6:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

ononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Amalfi Coast, where to stay?

Originally Posted by pommybird
Hi all

Planning to spend a few days on the Amalfi coast, can you suggest the best place to base ourselves, Sorrento, Positano, somewhere else? We don't want to do loads but have a bit of sightseeing and a bit of relaxation.

All suggestions welcome....
Sorrento has the best transport links for getting around, but strictly speaking is not the Amalfi coast; however easily reached by frequent bus service.Positano is beautiful, expensive, and hilly;once there you may feel a bit 'walled in' as it were.I would go for Amalfi itself, or the small but very pleasant Minori a little further along the coast .Enjoy wherever you choose.😁
Old Jun 13th 2016, 7:10 am
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

Ravello is a pleasant spot just up the hill from Amalfi.
Old Jun 13th 2016, 2:15 pm
Grace and gratitude

pommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the replies, we would have about 4 day, 5 max, would you say this is enough to get around and see Sorrento, Positano, Amalfi or Ravello or would we better off visiting just one place and saving the rest for another trip?
Old Jun 13th 2016, 3:13 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure what your budget is, but the Hotel Oriente in Vico Equense is interesting. Calling it a four-star hotel is a bit generous IMO, but it is clean and more than acceptable. It is interesting as it was built on a cliff face, and ALL the rooms have a sea view. You also enter at the top of the hotel and walk down the cliff. .... I have stayed their several times, most recently on my honeymoon.
Old Jun 13th 2016, 4:17 pm
Grace and gratitude

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Not sure what your budget is, but the Hotel Oriente in Vico Equense is interesting. Calling it a four-star hotel is a bit generous IMO, but it is clean and more than acceptable. It is interesting as it was built on a cliff face, and ALL the rooms have a sea view. You also enter at the top of the hotel and walk down the cliff. .... I have stayed their several times, most recently on my honeymoon.
Cheers m'dear, will take a look.
Old Jun 14th 2016, 10:57 pm
Forum Regular

currentaffairs is an unknown quantity at this point

My advice after just passing through a few days ago..

The area is heavily touristic and as someone posted on another forum quite 'inauthentic'. Sorrento, especially, is just full of expensive restaurants and crappy souvenir shops. I stayed for two nights in Sorrento and paid 80 euros a night for an average hotel. I looked again and for the end of June the price is 150 euros a night..

Overall, however, even though Sorrento isn't interesting it is a good base for the tours to the Amalfi Coast and Capri. I can recommend the 33 euro day trip called 'Amalfi Coast Last Minute'. Postiano is quite nice, but again touristic and apparently even more expensive to stay in than Sorrento...
Old Jun 15th 2016, 7:19 am
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by currentaffairs
My advice after just passing through a few days ago..

The area is heavily touristic and as someone posted on another forum quite 'inauthentic'.
For those who enjoy hill walking there are some beautiful paths on the Amalfi coast. Despite all the tourists you can walk all day and never meet a soul.

Sunflower do a useful guide.

Walking in Sorrento and the Amalfi Coast Guidebook - Sunflower Books
Old Jun 16th 2016, 10:53 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by philat98
For those who enjoy hill walking there are some beautiful paths on the Amalfi coast. Despite all the tourists you can walk all day and never meet a soul.

Sunflower do a useful guide.

Walking in Sorrento and the Amalfi Coast Guidebook - Sunflower Books
Yes, once out of Sorrento things get a lot better.. I started walking up one of the paths into the hills from Postiano and it was lovely. Went past a French hiking group.
Old Jun 17th 2016, 7:36 pm
Grace and gratitude

Thanks for all the feedback chaps. So any other ideas other than Almafi? We just want to spend a few days somewhere in Italy that is not mega bucks but is beautiful with plenty to see. We've done Rome a ton of times (have rellies there) we've done Florence, Pisa, Lake Garda, Venice, Verona and Siena.

We thought the Amalfi coast, but any other ideas that could better this?
Old Jun 18th 2016, 12:34 am
Forum Regular

Sicily.. Fly down there from Rome or elsewhere?

Tuscany.. Easy to get to and lots of nice towns with good food.

I am heading to Sicily right now, but for next time I liked the look of Puglia, with the Baroque architecture in Lecce, and the quaint towns of Alberobello, Otranto and Gallipolli..

Last edited by currentaffairs; Jun 18th 2016 at 12:36 am.
Old Jun 18th 2016, 1:33 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

If you haven't been, then a visit to Pompeii and Herculaneum is pretty amazing as well as Villa Oplontis ( Villa Poppaea) Emperor Nero's wife's amazingly preserved villa in Stabia.

We stayed in at a great Hotel Miramare di Stabia as a base. Really great place and not a bad price and outside the dump that is
Naples- great views of Vesuvius. Driving in and around Naples is mental... suicide on four wheels

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Hotel_Rev..._Campania.html
Old Jun 18th 2016, 3:35 am
BE Forum Addict

I like Puglia. Good food and friendly people. The rocky coast from Otranto down to Leuca is a bit like Amalfi. If you go in September you get the beach to yourself.