advice sought

Old Jan 3rd 2011, 5:16 pm
Just Joined

biffoforever is an unknown quantity at this point
Default advice sought

Hi
completely new to living abroad and do not seem to find help readily available-can anyone tell me the number of consecutive days you are allowed back in the UK and not lose your exempt uk tax status and can anyone tell me if i can legitamately claim any uk benfits although I live in Italy-I am a retired 59 year old with no uk income but worked in the uk for 42 years paying all taxes and full NIC contributions etc
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 5:26 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: advice sought

Originally Posted by biffoforever
Hi
completely new to living abroad and do not seem to find help readily available-can anyone tell me the number of consecutive days you are allowed back in the UK and not lose your exempt uk tax status and can anyone tell me if i can legitamately claim any uk benfits although I live in Italy-I am a retired 59 year old with no uk income but worked in the uk for 42 years paying all taxes and full NIC contributions etc
Welcome to the Forum Biffo, Should you have any issues give one of the Admin team or Forum Leaders a Shout a shout. But you would be better off posting your questions in the Italy Section of the forum.

Last edited by Ka Ora!; Jan 3rd 2011 at 5:49 pm.
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 7:04 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Biffo, looks like your post found it's way over! Welcome to the forum.

I believe the length of stay is 183 days including the day of return and departure as half days etc where necessary. No idea about the rest but there are others on here more qualified to answer. Where in Italy are you?
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 8:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

PAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to behold

Hi Biffo, here is the link to Dept of work and pensions, benefits section that may answer your queries.
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Pensions...ht/DG_10014855
Old Jan 4th 2011, 10:52 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

you are resident in Italy if you spend more than half the year - ie. more than 183 days a year here, and vice versa. So more than 183 days a year in the UK you are fiscally liable under the UK system. It used to be 90 conecutive days, but I think it is now the overall time per year you spend in a country that dictates your status.
If you paid NI in the UK you have an eligibility for a UK pension, you need to get in touch with Dept of Work and Pensions in Newcastle.
Old Jan 20th 2011, 4:43 pm
Forum Regular

Biffa is an unknown quantity at this point

Take a look at http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cnr/hmrc6.pdf

Things have changed very much since the well publicised tax gase of Robert Gaines-Cooper. He relied on the old 90 day rule but was challenged by the HMRC.

As Modicasa says it depneds on the circumstances of what your links are to the UK. You should take good UK tax advice to be sure.
Old Jan 21st 2011, 6:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Margaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond repute

Also if possible remain UK resident until you qualify for the winter fuel allowance - all other things being equal. If you leave before you qualify you will never get it, qualify before you leave and you always get it